·
Administrator
8,359 Posts
Triumph Tiger 900.

Reactions: klr4evr

·
Administrator
8,359 Posts
I haven't had the opportunity yet. I am looking forward to it.

·
Administrator
8,359 Posts
I've ridden a 500 EXC. I owed the guy a new seat when I was done. Wicked fast. Either that or I'm wicked slow.

·
Premium Member
3,020 Posts
I'm probably just going to keep riding my KLR's as they will easily outlast me. .....IF I was going to consider a replacement, I'd probably look at the KTM/Husky 690/701 as all the twin cylinder ADV bikes are too heavy for me and what I do......and I'm still resisting the urge to buy a "dirtbike with lights" like a KTM/Husky 500/501 as I still do more pavement than they are comfortable for. Other thoughts would be a highly modded DR650 or a DRZ400.

Dave

·
Premium Member
3,020 Posts
The older I get the faster I was! LOL. ......the 500EXC isn't far off my 300XCW race bike so it feels normal and familiar to me.

Dave

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've only had my KLR a short time. I love riding it on pavement but not so much on dirt. My main gripe is that the KLR is so top heavy. This is my first Kawasaki product and honestly it seems poorly designed and engineered compared to what I'm used to which have been mainly Honda products. The "agricultural" aspect of the thing does have a perverse appeal though and there's no denying that it works pretty well.

My program is usually to wait till I've spent a ton of money and energy tinkering with mods and questionable upgrades then sell at a major loss just to start the same process over again on some other machine.

Next bike? Something different, probably a new Royal Enfield 650 Interceptor. I'd probably keep the KLR and sell my SV 650 to make room for an Enfield.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've only had my KLR a short time. I love riding it on pavement but not so much on dirt. My main gripe is that the KLR is so top heavy. This is my first Kawasaki product and honestly it seems poorly designed and engineered compared to what I'm used to which have been mainly Honda products. The "agricultural" aspect of the thing does have a perverse appeal though and there's no denying that it works pretty well.

My program is usually to wait till I've spent a ton of money and energy tinkering with mods and questionable upgrades then sell at a major loss just to start the same process over again on some other machine.

Next bike? Something different, probably a new Royal Enfield 650 Interceptor. I'd probably keep the KLR and sell my SV 650 to make room for an Enfield.
It could be top heavy im not sure. I would think a honda Africa twin would be alot heavier but wouldn’t know. I know my klr seems to handle gravel better than vstrom 650.

·
Premium Member
6,821 Posts
Jack Straw, you could purchase an IMS 10 gallon tank and only fill it half full to achieve a lower center of gravity. :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm curious as to why Kawasaki isn't going to come up with a similar replacement for the KLR. I mean, Geeez, are they not trying to sell bikes? It's had a pretty good run and I would think keep on going if they came up with something similar. That said, I'm very interested in the V-strom. Have not tried one yet, but it seems to tick all the right boxes for my riding style and expectations.
I just added a 650 Versys to the fleet, and it is a great bike for what it is, but it's not the bike for me. That's half the fun, trying, modifying, tweaking, learning, growing, and then moving on...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Looking for a 2015 or newer Versys 650 LT. I have wondered why the best selling bike in it's class did not have a replacement in the wings before being discontinued. Even bumping the Versys 300 to a 450 would put it into the same class hp wise as the KLR, probably more power. But how do you replace the tractor torque and ease of maintenance that made the KLR what it is?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I stopped in at Yamaha shop to look at the 700. It does look cool but a few things I noticed. Seems like a higher center of gravity as it appears the bike sits higher and the big twin nearly sits vertical. The fuel tanks above that so it appears to be higher than klr. It looks very naked the bike so its quite different than klr. The klr in my eyes has more options for less money. A little down in hp compared to tenere so we see. A test ride will tell. The dealer said Covid really slowed delivery of bike.

·
Premium Member
3,020 Posts
Yeah an AT is about 75 lbs heavier than a Gen2, 100 lbs heavier than a Gen1 and 125 lbs heavier than my Gen1's......too much for what I do. As far as top heavy goes; swapping silencers and the battery for an LiFePO saves about 15 lbs up high....coupled with my IMS tank which carries the fuel lower (especially if you don't fill with more than needed) and the top heavy feeling of the KLR is substantially mitigated.

Dave

·
Premium Member
3,020 Posts
the Versys is great and better on pavement that a KLR in every way........offroad the opposite is true - the Versys is definitely a streetbike.

Dave

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dave my brother inlaw has the vstrom 650. It’s great on highway but on dirt or gravel its way less stable as klr. Im thinking the vstrom and versys very similar. I just hope if kawi comes out with new klr they do their homework and have a real close look at what made the klr the bike that started it all.

·
Premium Member
3,020 Posts
Yeah, I've ridden the Vstrom 650 a couple times and I'd say that it's a bit better off pavement than the Versys due to the 19" vs. 17" front wheel, high mounted exhaust and a bit more open cockpit but neither are dual sports by any reasonable definition IMO.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The more i ride this klr the more i like it. When we hit gravel roads they are always asking why i go so fast. I dont think its that fast just my pace. Even the ktm guys say that. I just feel at home on gravel with klr and maybe even feel more comfortable there than trying to keep speed with traffic on pavement.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts