Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My ignition (where the key goes) is really getting difficult. On padlocks I use a drop of gun oil and that works awesome... much better then graphite imo. Would this be ok on the ignition lock? I've ridden in rain and rinsed off the dash and no ill effects... well, except for the sticky key!

What do you think? Will a drop of Hoppes do the trick? Have something better?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I read a thread the other day on this a fellow said he uses a powder graphite on his and it doesn't have the sticky effects. Plus won't let debris stick inside the cylinder.so I tryed some powder moly lube from work and seemed to do the trick for me..

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
My ignition (where the key goes) is really getting difficult. On padlocks I use a drop of gun oil and that works awesome... much better then graphite imo. Would this be ok on the ignition lock? I've ridden in rain and rinsed off the dash and no ill effects... well, except for the sticky key!

What do you think? Will a drop of Hoppes do the trick? Have something better?

Don't use a wet lube in a lock it will attract dirt. I use Dupont Teflon Multi-use goes in wet but dries quickly.

Dupont just came out with a lube specifically for locks

·
Registered
303 Posts
I always use powdered graphite. I've tried the graphite stuff in a spray can, and it sucks for me. It does OK, but doesn't last very long and makes a bigger mess than the dry.

After leaving my DR key at home, I had a locksmith cut me another key, and he used WD40. Then again, he used it too soon, and had a hard time imprinting the key after that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts