1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=538133

http://moonshine-run.com/Moonshine/

http://www.clarkcountyil.org/Communities/moonshine.htm

I don't know anything about the ride, other than what's listed on the ADVrider posting, and the link to the moonshine location..

6th Annual

Moonshine Lunch Run

10 April 2010 in Moonshine, IL

82 Days, 15 Hours, 54 Minutes, 48 Seconds

1/9/2010 - After an executive board meeting, it has been determined that only a direct route from place of residence will be counted as mileage to Moonshine. Therefore, meandering mileage will not be counted. Note on riders list - Due to a system hiccup, Mac should of been number 175.

12/29/2009 - Here we are for the 6th Annual MLR. Registration should be up and running on Jan 1st. We are stopping the forum. The SPAM is more work than the forum itself. Keep checking back, I will be posting changes as the disorganizer gets them to me.

As usual, we have a great time planned for everybody. Terry will be cooking out again Thursday night. Once again, we will be having the awards banquet Friday night at Richard's Farm. Casey Fire Department will be planning something for supper Saturday night. Terry is planning something for Sunday breakfast and seeing everyone off. As you know with Terry, He can plan something. What it is will have to wait.

It looks like the 7th Annual will be 9 April 2011!

And remember Terry's famous words.....

If you don't make it to Moonshine,,, you ain't a Motorcycle Rider,,, you're just a Motorcycle Owner!!!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Ill be there. Reservations are made. I will be taking the ST1300 however. Its a great time if you can make it.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ill be there. Reservations are made. I will be taking the ST1300 however. Its a great time if you can make it.
I'm kicking it around.. I'd more than likely be Winging it to go down there.:ashamed0001:

From the photos I've seen of the event, it's somewhat of a larger sport touring bike gathering?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Its more of an event for anyone who loves to ride and have fun with other riders. I saw mostly Wings although every kind of machine was present. Many of the attendees were participants of the IBA runs. I think the longest one way rider was from Canada somewhere. Its really a four day event, Thursday will be a BBQ at Terry's house, Friday night they hold a dinner with silly awards for different riders. Being from Illinois you really should go have a look see, if you are interested in yakking with other folks with similiar interests. Bring your KLR and lemme see how you have her setup.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yeah, it's only 300 miles to get down there. Weather will be the deciding factor, though.. The Wing's my cold weather bike. Right now the KLR's due for a tire swap and an aluminum pannier install, both of which I have but need to put on.. The other problem is there's a new bike in the barn and I have a hunch I'm going to wanna ride the VFR.. I guess I have a wile to make the decision.

I'm sure I'll know a few people there. I've ridden a Minnesota 1000 and a few of the Glacial Lakes Motorcycle Club's Rallies, too.. I also tend to abuse Rebecca Vaughn on a regular basis and had lunch with Joe Leggett a couple weeks ago.. I'm not a personal fan of the 24 hour rallies, but love the 12 hour events.. I was kicking around riding the MN1000 this year, but it's going to be a 2 day, 2010 mile event this year and I don't think I'm up for that.

I'll do a bit of checking of my schedule.. The spring is my busiest season for work and I might need to block it off before something gets scheduled in that time area. Currently free, but...

·
Registered
206 Posts
Ok Im really ready for this. Looks like sunny clear skies, good weather. I cant remember the last time I travelled in good weather. Let the riding season begin...Woo Hooo

·
Registered
206 Posts
Arrived yesterday evening, did my first frry crossing yesterday. Very cool. Rode thru KS,MO,corner of Iowa, and lots of rural Ill. Man there werealot of cool riding areas on the way here. Pulled into the BBQ last night, first bike I saw was an 08 red KLR fully loaded for traveling. Great weather, great ride. Hope to meet a few of you guys here..

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Double A is there on a older red wine colored Concours with a custom windshield.. HiVis Aerostich Darien..

·
Registered
206 Posts
Saw a few Concours there, no one wearing Hi Viz in the area however. Did see a handful of KLRs during the festivities. Just got home, had a great time I highly recommend it to anyone who couldnt make it.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just talked to Double A and he got home a few hours ago.. Said there were several KLR's in the mix, too.

I called him up yesterday around 11 and asked what he was up to. He said he was in line for a burger..
I told him I was sitting on the front porch of Puemples (Swiss Tavern in New Glarus, Wisconsin) http://www.puempels.com/ having a micro brew and eating a Limburger, onion and mustard sandwich on rye.. Somehow the VFR wandered there without telling me it was going.. :D

While I'm sure the gathering at Moonshine was excellent, I wouldn't have traded yesterday's curvy back road ride, sandwich, and beer for anything..

·
Registered
206 Posts
I hear ya Paper. The ride there was mostly flat and uneventful. The time along the Mississippi was cool, as I had never ridden a ferry nor had I spent much time in the area. I was a real tourist. I was there at 11:00 as were 1000 some other folks. I havent managed a ride this far without rain or snow in I dont know how long, luck was with me this weekend.

·
Registered
77 Posts
moonshine

Moonshine was a great experience. I figured out early on that I wasn't riding my motorcycle but rather sitting on it and pointing it in a direction. Illinois is very flat and boring.
Paper, I'm glad the event is only one time a year but amazing just how far these guys will go for a hamburger and a .41 cent sticker. I had a good time and ate very well but I will take south western wisconsin riding anytime.
It was nice to see so much HiViz and I couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting a Honda ST. There were quite a few KLR's present.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Double A, I agree Illinois doesnt have much to offer as far as exciting roads. I too prefer riding here more as well. However there is no cure for the call of the road like a 2200 mile ride for no reason other than the company of some really great folks, and of course a cheeseburger and sticker.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Now why dont you find a great hamburger and give me an excuse to ride to Colorado other than the really cool mountains you have. I wimped out last year but I'm getting more comfortable with the Concours and distance.:animal0019:

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Now why dont you find a great hamburger and give me an excuse to ride to Colorado other than the really cool mountains you have. I wimped out last year but I'm getting more comfortable with the Concours and distance.:animal0019:
:character00271:

·
Registered
206 Posts
Double A, I can find good grub. If you come to Colorado I can offer a couch, I can show you some awesome twisty mountain roads. Dirt or street. We are having an ST get together over the summer here in Colorado, more about riding than Moonshine was. I know a few Connies will be there. Seriously if you come I will be happy to show you some of the better rides.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hey, if you guys really want to do something different, there is a place just north of Lena, Il that I rode at last night. It's VERY hilly, wooded, tight, and fun. I bet there was 20+ acres set up for "trials" type riding. The KLR was a bit heavy and over geared for the terrain, but managed non-the-less. After we rode our own bikes for a while, the owner brought out his Yammy TT650 (I think that's what it was) It felt like half the weight, twice the grip, and three times the speed. I'm sure we'll do it again, soon. It would be good to have ribs at Baumgartners sometime, too.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I just talked to Double A and he got home a few hours ago.. Said there were several KLR's in the mix, too.

I called him up yesterday around 11 and asked what he was up to. He said he was in line for a burger..
I told him I was sitting on the front porch of Puemples (Swiss Tavern in New Glarus, Wisconsin) http://www.puempels.com/ having a micro brew and eating a Limburger, onion and mustard sandwich on rye.. Somehow the VFR wandered there without telling me it was going.. :D

While I'm sure the gathering at Moonshine was excellent, I wouldn't have traded yesterday's curvy back road ride, sandwich, and beer for anything..
Does puemples do the dollars on the ceiling thing?????

1 - 20 of 21 Posts