Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings!

Long been a fan of the KLR. A friend bought one new the first year they came out, 1987 I think, and I thought it was an awesome beast.

I don't have one yet although I do keep an eye out on Kijiji but the reason I'm here is that a friend of mine has a '94 that he's been having trouble with. It's been his daily driver for years and only let him down recently. He's not too hot on electrical issues and he doesn't do the interweb thing so that's where I come in.

I'm a service tech for boring non-bike related power equipment so I try to make up for it by wrenching on my own just-about-everything. There's a dominant Scottish frugality gene that runs strong through the male side of the family... And as this bike is 12 years newer than anything I own I knew my best bet would be to chase down a KLR forum and, look!, I found one.

I went and had a look at buddys' bike today and we sorted out some basic corrosion problems and fought valiantly to keep hydrated in the blistering heat. But now that I have a wiring diagram I'll have to go back over to check some more things out and start a proper post here to get the diagnostic ball rolling.

Looks like a good site here. I'm pretty familiar with the common forum etiquettes but if I step out of line or on anyones' toes I'd like to know.

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Welcome to the forum Sam. It is a great thing you are doing by helping a mechanically challenged friend with his bike! I'm sure that if you run into any grey areas, someone here will be glad to help also.

BTW, my K-9 comes from a breeder in Kitchener!

·
Registered
285 Posts
"Say! I like green eggs and ham! I do! I like them, Sam-I-am!"
Welcome to the forum. This is a great place to get information and get questions answered. A good bunch of folks with a lot of collective knowledge.
And, just to let you know, there are other Dead Heads here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
'Tis a kind of iconic image, hey?

I started a thread about what we've done so far in the Gen 1 section here.

If I have knowledge I have to share it. I believe knowledge is worthless unless it is available to everyone. Unfortunately it means that I'll never be a rich man...

I've belonged to a Honda forum dedicated to the survival of the CX & GL series for a long time now and it's truly impressive how much information and assistance is contained within its' membership. With only a few minutes lurking here and I saw the same thing here.

We have a couple of dogs but they both came from a local humane society. Although one was originally a Louisiana rescue. They're like our kids. Kind of embarrassing sometimes...

·
Registered
576 Posts
I was born in Kitchener. Can't say I miss it, but that is probably mostly because I left when I was 6. Still all the family is up thereabouts.

Yes, lots of information shared here. Middle of your screen at the top of this page has a search function. It is the magical sage that answers your questions.

And by no means are we one of those places that has a conniption fit every time that someone starts a thread that already exists. Actually it gives an opportunity for the new members to tell us their thoughts.

So in conclusion, this place is a bunch of relaxed people who know a thing or two about a thing or two and will share their know how whenever they can.

Enjoy!

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Point being, I think you found the right KLR site. ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the welcomes!
A good wrenching forum is pure gold when it comes to keeping machines alive.
I will try to restrain myself if I feel the urge to start an 'OIL' thread...:character00231:

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Start it. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts