Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sat down with my wife and looked at our finances today. Not so great. Plus we are moving to an apartment without covered or indoor parking. Bottom line, we had some good years, but the CB450 and I are parting ways. I put an add on craigslist. $2500. Some jackass had the exact same bike, but ridden hard and put away wet for over 3K. Of course I'd rather sell it to one of you if you're interested. Runs great. Small dent in gas tank. Less than 10K miles. There is the carb issue that needs to be dealt with, but it's a solid bike.

I know everyone is going to try to talk me out of selling it. And I hear ya. I have done the same myself. Many times. But we're moving to Benicia. We need money. And I can't watch the salt air eat away at my bike.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
I'm not about to talk you out of what you have to do..

But, consider eBay. I tried CL and got nothing buy grief.. One day on eBay and it was sold for exactly what I wanted, off line, so I didn't have to pay anything more than listing fees..

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good call, thanks Dan.

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
It would be an easy decision for me given my druthers......Sell the KLR instead.

·
Lifetime Member
2,484 Posts
Sorry to hear your selling her, but you gotta do what you gotta do... Hoping it sells quick and you get what your asking for it.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Staying afloat is more important than a piece of metal. Don't sweat it. If someone's looking you'll sell it. I had emails from NE, IO, CA on my CB within a couple days. I got more than I was asking for as well.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. Got an interested (very) guy coming tomm to look at it. I am conflicted. Part of me thinks I am being stupid, but that bike is two months rent. And the KLR is more dependable and more fun to ride. I will always have a fond spot in my heart for the Honda. We had our fun. And when we get some scrilla again, I can get a new used bike. Maybe something with some zip. That's younger than me. ;)

I love the 450. But I love my family more. And I also had the feeling when I was riding the other day that I was kind of invisible. It's small with crappy lights and brakes...I'll probably regret it, but I've been on the fence for so long about it. And our new apartment...hell, the elements would take their toll and that would kill me.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Those hard decisions stink, but for what it's worth, I think you're making the right one. There will be a day when you'll replace it but for now you can enjoy your family and new place with a little relief from debt that you don't need.

Sent from my iPod touch using Motorcycle
Timothys687
More miles and smiles for all!

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Part of me thinks I am being stupid, but that bike is two months rent..
There lies the problem..
That's nuts!!

Yeah, the weather would be nice, but I'll stick with 4 seperate seasons, and in turn I have a 1400 square ft home on a 100x100 lot for $365 a month.. And it's MINE.. Even with my property tax, I'm only paying $500 a month..

My fiance and her former husband moved to Antioch years ago, and were there for 9 months, before moving back to NW Chicago suburbs (which I consider stupid expensive). They moved back because they had 1/4 of the expense of living in CA..

I'm a KLR rider.. I don't get the expense of California living.. I understand that it's home, but when home drains your pocket, I'd look elsewhere.

My former girlfriend recently moved to Pheonix and found a great job and inexpensive living, and she says I'm nuts to remain in the midwest..:)

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Timothy. ;)

Life is weird. You get attached to certain possesions more than others. That Honda and I had some good (and incredibly shitty) experiences together. The guys that is coming to look at it seems cool. In the end, the smart money is on selling it. Nostalgia is something I can't afford right now. I got enough medical bills to buy a Ducati. :character00271:

·
Premium Member
1,793 Posts
Dano,

If it's any consolation for ya, had to sell a bunch of guns this year because of what my boss did to me... Yes they were my fathers, and suppose to be in the family for years, but I love where I live, and I love my family, and this is THE most kick-ass place to ride in the lower 48,(And we have done it brother) stick around, and light the fire, and let's go riding. Simple, cool, and here.

'nuff said (IMHO)

Late

MB4

·
Missed Gear
1,193 Posts
That totally sucks. It's a gem of a bike.

It's probably for the best though. Without a proper place to keep it protected from the elements it would just end up reducing it's value anyway.

Good luck on the sale.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys. Yeah, that was the clincher for me. I wouldn't be able to watch the salt air eat her away.

Dan, you're right. But Karen's Dad dying made relocation non-negotiable. I've lived all over this country, she hasn't and sure isn't about to start.

Mark, sorry to hear about your losses, man. You know I'm not a gun guy, but I AM a knife guy and I treasure my father's and grandfather's knives/fishing gear, etc.

And you are right. All we need is a KLR, a campfire, and a blueberry muffin brother. I got a shitload of moving and packing to do, but...

Soon, we ride...

I'm gonna host a bitchin ride in Benicia, so pretty there.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
And Dan, the reason we are moving to Benicia is because it is comparably CHEAP. San Francisco is insane. We have a nice three bedroom apartment next to a tackle shop and 6 blocks from fishing. In the city (or close to it) the same $ would get us a tiny studio in the ghetto. It is nuts. I totally agree.

Consolation, I can catch sturgeon and stripers within a stroll of my house. And part of the reason we picked Benicia is they have among the best public schools in the nation.

Money is crazy. But even if Karen would move, I couldn't leave my PPMC brothers. And we can ride year round. And now I'm my own boss, so I can ride when I want to ride. :)

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Family is number 1, and do what your heart says..

And I deal with people almost every day, who can't believe anyone would live anywhere in the north..

And I'm always shocked at the prices of housing. 45 minutes to my west, prices are 1/4 less, and the same distance to the east and it's double or even triple of what I pay..

And if I could, I'd move 45 minutes west to better riding and cheaper housing, but my place of employment isn't that direction.. :(

Anyway, good luck with selling the Honda.. 70's bikes are hot, and you shouldn't have a problem selling it to a good home.

·
Premium Member
5,501 Posts
You are to be admired for your sacrifice for your family.

Hey, as far as I'm concerned, at least half the fun of getting something new is looking forward to it. I'd start philosophizing about what you're going to replace it with one of these days if you're considering going back to a classic bike.

·
Registered
73 Posts
It sounds like you are making the right choice.

The bike would not las long out in the elements let alone the salt water...

Family first!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the support guys. Just put it up on eBay. Crossing my fingers.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts