Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just checked the log book and have ridden 650 miles since September 2014. Almost all of that has been short rides locally for which the sports cars are at least as much fun. $100.00 per month or $3.00 per mile + upkeep seems not justified. It's not that we can't afford the cost, just the value seems not there.

Maybe time to park it and move on?

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
I think if you're considering hanging it up, there's probably multiple reasons. Go with your gut. I manage to rationalize riding (despite having two small kids and losing one of my brothers who left his kids behind) - but it takes work. If you're not trying to rationalize it, it's not bringing you joy - why pay the extra money and do something dangerous?

If I even thought for a second that riding wasn't doing anything for me that a sports car could, I'd quit in a heartbeat. If I could afford a sports car. :)

My .02

Reactions: Normk

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
That's the insurance cost for the 20 months. The cost of the bike + tires and other things were's factored in. I could add tires for $200, Tubliss $100, etc. to that but the insurance is fixed even if the bike doesn't leave the garage.
Wow. That could make me sell off a couple that I am not ridding.

·
Lifetime Member
2,482 Posts
I just checked the log book and have ridden 650 miles since September 2014. Almost all of that has been short rides locally for which the sports cars are at least as much fun. $100.00 per month or $3.00 per mile + upkeep seems not justified. It's not that we can't afford the cost, just the value seems not there.

Maybe time to park it and move on?
I know the feeling, hung mine up. Sold the KLR a week ago and that was the last bike in the stable. Wasn't getting out much anymore, and when I was it really wasn't enjoyable. So, someone got a smoking deal on a mint KLR, I recouped a few bucks and some much needed garage space.

Best of luck with your decision Norm, mine was a while in the making!

·
Premium Member
2,903 Posts
Gotta do what feels right/ fits you Norm. I sold my touring bike last year and bought a sports car because my wife just wasn't into riding anymore, we are getting old so multiple aches and pains and the convertible does the job in more comfort.

.....I still have my KLR's and have no plans on giving them up yet but only you can decide what's best for you.

Cheers,

Dave

·
Registered
387 Posts
I've never been able to cost justify owning a motorcycle. For me if I'm still enjoying the ride, it's worth it. (Even if it drops to one ride a year.)

:nerd:

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
Normk,
With a 120+ modifications, you are the only one who will be able to maintain your old bike, I'm sure you already know that.

So if you continue to service it and modify others and insist that you test ride them to be certain that the modifications function properly, you may actually attain higher annual mileage, with-out ownership. :)

I can scuff-in tires and brake pads in 5 miles. 10 miles is better. ;)
Service the steering head and rear suspension bearings, better make that 50 kilometers! We don't want a customer to accidently discover a high speed / cross-wind head shake.

·
Registered
39 Posts
funny, i went through the same thing, sold a bike bought an old alfa sportscar, sold the car bought a bike, sold the bike bought an s2000, sold the car and bought another bike!

in theory a convertible sportscar does the same job as a bike. in practice it doesnt work out that way, for me anyway. but i also live in a state where motorcycle insurance is not legally required, and so it is very affordable. you pay out a ton for insurance and it sounds like a poor investment unless you really love riding!

·
Registered
5,547 Posts
The answer should be compelling and obvious I should think, but only to you, Normk! No forum consensus appears relevant, to me.

·
Administrator
3,564 Posts
I'm thinking it's time to hang up the spurs?
I think I see the problem. Riding a bike with spurs definitely would be difficult so you are probably good to hang those up and get some good riding boots. And then it will all come together and you'll be riding more. Your welcome.

Reactions: DeltaWolf
1 - 16 of 16 Posts