Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Administrator
3,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the plan is for the wife and I to hop aboard the Goldwing June 10ish and plot a course to Utah.

Looking for some info and suggestions on what it takes to see some of this great state. We want to see some of the parks. Figure we would start in Moab and work our way to Zion, north rim of Grand Canyon, four corners etc. We have no idea of how long we should stay in any one place to see some of these parks and are looking for suggestions.

Would love to meet some of the dual sport folk if the opportunity exists. Hey if you have a grill and some steaks we would gladly come by, lol.

·
Registered
410 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
So the plan is for the wife and I to hop aboard the Goldwing June 10ish and plot a course to Utah.

Looking for some info and suggestions on what it takes to see some of this great state. We want to see some of the parks. Figure we would start in Moab and work our way to Zion, north rim of Grand Canyon, four corners etc. We have no idea of how long we should stay in any one place to see some of these parks and are looking for suggestions.

Would love to meet some of the dual sport folk if the opportunity exists. Hey if you have a grill and some steaks we would gladly come by, lol.

Highway 128 is a great ride into Moab, Canyonlands N.P. was enjoyable, but slower speed limits and the La Sal mountain loop road (paved) was a fun ride. Have a good time and Ride Safe.:photos:

·
Registered
901 Posts
Sent you a long PM - mainly because I got the PM before I looked at the rest of the message board to reply here. LOL

Depending on how much time you want to spend on the entire trip, you'll want to spend at least two full days in each of the five National Parks. There's a lot to do, and buzzing through is okay, but spending more time is awesome.

I also gave you dates where my wife and I will be at the North Rim of the Grand Canyon and Bryce Canyon, so if you're in either of those areas while we're there, I'd be more than happy to throw a steak on the grill for you!

·
Administrator
3,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks for the info, particularly the long and informative PM from acidman1968. The main thing here is that I'm on a loaded Goldwing, 2 up, so roads need to be paved.

My biggest issue is the Utah heat. 80F is getting to hot for me on a Goldwing. Sometimes I think I should take this holiday in an air conditioned vehicle.

·
Registered
410 Posts
My biggest issue is the Utah heat. 80F is getting to hot for me on a Goldwing. Sometimes I think I should take this holiday in an air conditioned vehicle.
What?! I refer to the the sage genius of another forum member. he states, and I quote: "It's a friggen motorcycle, it's not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you shit your pants every now and then. "

·
Registered
901 Posts
Thanks for the info, particularly the long and informative PM from acidman1968. The main thing here is that I'm on a loaded Goldwing, 2 up, so roads need to be paved.

Just did some quick searches on www.city-data.com to give you a place where you can check the average high temperatures for various cities during June.

Moab, UT information <-- Arches and Canyonlands National Parks are here.

Torrey, UT <-- Capitol Reef National Park is here

Springdale, UT <-- Gateway to Zion National Park

On each of those links, scroll down on the page to where the weather information is located.

·
Registered
12 Posts
You absolutely have to go to Bryce Canyon Notional Park. I worked on the road down there for 3 months a few years back and it is one of the most amazing places I have ever seen. It would be great on a bike!

·
Administrator
3,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That was last years plan. Still haven't gone. I hate heat. Will try to get there some time in mid May.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I live on the AZ/UT border. I spend a lot of my riding time in the southern half of Utah. I'm good riding into the high 90's with mesh gear, but I can appreciate someone not being acclimated to heat and it can be dangerous actually. My suggestion, if it would fit into your schedule, would be to go in late September or early October. You lose some daylight over the spring time, but in the spring cold fronts are still coming through pretty regularly and in the high country you could still get snowed on. By late September much of the tourist traffic has slowed down (but not gone away). One of the best rides I've taken was the last week of October up through Capital Reef on my Concours. But that late in the year and you have to time things also. It had snowed in Blanding the week before I stopped there. It's beautiful country and lots of diverse types of scenery, even on pavement.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Very Cool Ride

That was a great ride report! Don't know how I missed it last fall, I spend some time most every night reading through ADV reports, especially when they get close to home. My Sunday morning ride last week was Page to Kanab to Jacobs Lake to Marble Canyon to the Gap and back to Page. The detour to the Gap added about 40 miles versus the old route, and the landslide took out a great section of road to ride.

It's always great to see this area from a new set of eyes. The worst thing about living in Page is that you get kind of callused to the beauty.

And, UT 12 is just a great road isn't it!!!

As for the "No Jumping" sign on Navajo Bridge (at Marble Canyon), check these guys out:

Google - "Youtube Navajo Bridge bungee jump" (I don't have enough posts to this forum yet to put URLs in my posts. The URLs are in a reply I copied into your ADV ride report if you're interested.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Here we go

https://www.google.ca/search?q=Youtube+Navajo+Bridge+bungee+jump&rlz=1C1AVSX_enCA426CA426&oq=Youtube+Navajo+Bridge+bungee+jump&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i64.1413j0j7&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8

As for the "No Jumping" sign on Navajo Bridge (at Marble Canyon), check these guys out:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=navajo+bridge+bungee+jump
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8EwFQOXmL0
(maybe it isn't jumping when they throw you over the side)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92tbaXlVuRY
(Dynamic Rope vs Bungee - didn't know the difference until his morning)
By the way at 59 years old (pretty close to you), I'm way to old for that shit..
Yup me too, too old for that stuff and not sure how many beers/dares it would have taken to get me doing it when I was young.

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
You absolutely have to go to Bryce Canyon Notional Park. I worked on the road down there for 3 months a few years back and it is one of the most amazing places I have ever seen. It would be great on a bike!
:doublethumb: on Brice Canyon!

·
Administrator
3,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Well I started this thread in 2014 and have yet to go to Utah. All that will change this year though as a friend booked a condo for a week in Park City in June. From there we plan to do day trips. He's been there before so knows his way around. After the week is over we may head further south as they head back home. Thanks for the info. Been spending some time reading GarthW's ride report. Utah sure is a feast for the eyes. This will be a Goldwing trip.

·
Administrator
8,289 Posts
I'd ride to Utah to have a cuppa joe.

Tom

1 - 20 of 21 Posts