Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an old 96 Kawasaki KLR 650 of which I purchased a IMS 6.6 Gallon Fuel Tank and was wondering if it would be ok to just use the stock petcock or should I bite the bullet and make a block off plate for the stock petcock and or purchase a manual petcock from Mike?

I will note that I do have the ability to make the block off plate if need be as I have some 1/4" aluminum stock laying about and some 1/8" stock.

On a side note at this time I do not have funds falling out of my pockets as there are so many other things the bike needs. But if something is really needed then I will plan for it.

Thank You.

Also if there is any IMS 6.6 Gal Tank install notes that would help with the install please enlighten me?

·
Premium Member
3,028 Posts
The stock vacuum petcock is one of the top 5 most common parts to cause an issue.....I wouldn't run one myself. The Yamaha Raptor petcock is new, high quality and bulletproof. The only criticism some have is that the reserve capacity is less (due to the shorter reserve straw) but you can use the stocker with the Raptor unit if you care about that (I don't).

If you can't afford the Raptor unit from Yamaha or Eaglemike, then get the blockoff kit from Jeffsaline or use his directions to make your own.

I can't say enough about an IMS/Raptor combo; no rust, no dents, no vacuum petcock failures, no gas cap vent failures, increased capacity, lighter weight AND a free rad protector.....doesn't get much better IMO.

* Disclaimer; you need to be smart enough to turn on/off your petcock or you run the risk of flooding the engine or your shop floor with gas in the event of a problem with the float or needle/seat.

Cheers,
Dave

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
On the other hand and in my opinion. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Especially if you hove other places to spend your money. You can always repair/replace it later if it breaks.

In over 120K miles on KLR650s I have only replaced one petcock diaphragm and I am not sure it was bad because I rode back to Houston from Inuvik NW Territory, Canada before replacing it.

I like the automatic shutoff feature without having to fool with turning the petcock on and off each time I stop.

·
Premium Member
3,028 Posts
To each their own....just hope that it doesn't break when your in the middle of BFN. I prefer to fix known problem items before that happens....and you don't have to spend too much time on klr forums to see that the vacuum petcock is a very weak link dave

·
Premium Member
6,838 Posts
Huuumm, Weak link?
28+ year old bike, 75,000+ miles and I have replaced 1 fuel tap diaphragm on my bike. That was about 5 years ago. I do like the 'convenience' of Automatically ON, when I start-up and OFF with 'dead engine'.
But, as you said, "to each, our own".

Dave, does the Raptor fuel valve use the '4-holed' selector disc like the stock KLR valve, #11009-1188?
If so, one might use the #49019-1097 fuel filter to keep any of its rubber crumbs out of the float needle. (of course we might could All use some sort of in-line screen or sintered fuel filter for this reason.)

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
To each their own....just hope that it doesn't break when your in the middle of BFN. I prefer to fix known problem items before that happens....and you don't have to spend too much time on klr forums to see that the vacuum petcock is a very weak link dave
Yes it does seem like someone always suggest that whatever problem is being discussed might be due to the petcock, the carb diaphragm or one of the safety switches even though the symptoms don't indicate these items. But, of course it could be one of these items.

You make a good point about things breaking in the middle of BFN. Not sure where BFN is, but I think I have been to the middle and both ends of it and will go again and I like you don't want to have an unfixable problem there. So, I carry a spare petcock diaphragm when traveling near BFN.

If I don't have a spare, I have a plan. If it is a leak on the vacuum side, I will remove the internal spring and plug the vacuum hose. If it is a leak on the fuel side, I will plug the drain hole. Either way I will continue on my way until I return home.

The bottom line is that I like the automatic petcock and my personal preference is to leave it stock and enjoy it and I am willing to fix it in the unlikely event that it fails.

Everyone can

·
Premium Member
3,028 Posts
Yes weak link; you've both been around long enough to know that this isn't a new development... By eliminating the vacuum petcock and the safety switches my bikes are less likely to break down.....fact, not opinion. Now whether or not you think the benefits of retaining those parts outweigh the increased chance of breakdowns is a decision every KLR owner needs to make for himself. I've made my choice and those parts are never going back on my bikes.

Cheers,
Dave

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Petcock Block Off Plate. Will adding this feature to the factory Petcock make it more reliable?
It Just converts the stock automatic shutoff petcock to a manual shutoff petcock that you have to turn off and off each time you use it and eliminates the vacuum powered diaphragm which can develop a pin hole leak if given enough time.

I think the diaphragm gives enough notice if it should start to leak that you should have time to fix it just like you have time to fix worn brake pads or a worn chain.

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Well for $24.95 I got rid of the auto off KLR valve and went with the manual off from Eagle Mike Manual Petcock for KLR650 I like the fact of being able to have fuel flow without the engine vacuum such as when I am filling my gasoline stove or filling up after running out of fuel.
JJ

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Well for $24.95 I got rid of the auto off KLR valve and went with the manual off from Eagle Mike Manual Petcock for KLR650 I like the fact of being able to have fuel flow without the engine vacuum such as when I am filling my gasoline stove or filling up after running out of fuel.
JJ
Good points. I am not against other people removing the automatic petcock, but when they ask, I like to see that the they get the pluses and the minuses.

In my case I have found that the little short fuel line to the carb only takes about 4 cranks of the engine to fill the line after running out of fuel which I try not to do anyway. For filling the stove bottle I use the siphon tube I always have rather than disconnecting and reconnecting the fuel line to fill the bottle.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts