Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Attempting to drain my IMS 10 gal tank and the drain bung spins in the tank...(on both sides!) So just to be more clear, the drain plug and bung are turning together - looks like the bung is a brass hex that is cast into the poly tank.
Anyone run into this?

When I get them apart, I wonder how well (or not) a hot glue "weld" would work.
What would you guys do?

Attachments

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
I'll suggest that someone put thread locker on the brass bung & it has more grip on the brass bung that the plastic had.

Sorry to say that you are probably 'bunged' forever and the bungs will now probably leak like a sieve. Teflon thread tape would have been more appropriate.

People accidentally permanently attach the plastic radiator shrouds onto Gen2 rubber well nuts and onto real dirt bikes on a regular basis by using Loc-Tite in places that it should NEVER be Used.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I'll suggest that someone put thread locker on the brass bung & it has more grip on the brass bung that the plastic had.

Sorry to say that you are probably 'bunged' forever and the bungs will now probably leak like a sieve. Teflon thread tape would have been more appropriate.
"Bunged" :laugh3:
Yeah, that sounds reasonable since both of 'em are "screwed". I think the PO did both tape and loctite since I think I see some teflon tape poking out on one of them.

If anyone has successfully repaired such a goof, I'm all ears - Lotta things I'd rather spend money on than a new tank.

I'm thinking a glue gun is at least worth a shot...Will post results.

·
Registered
97 Posts
just spit balling... maybe clean it all out, bolts, bungs and fuel then pack JB Weld in there til it fills the void and hope like hell that it seals off from fuel forever???

sre

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just spit balling... maybe clean it all out, bolts, bungs and fuel then pack JB Weld in there til it fills the void and hope like hell that it seals off from fuel forever???
Yep, I'm thinking something like that - Plastic weld or something.

For anyone following, interested or facing the same thing, here's something fairly promising -
https://youtu.be/CE1iNRhIGxY
Speed video to 2x and you get the idea.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got the bungs out, but two of the cap bolts have become un-bonded as well. I cut them off and the remaining studs are proving much trickier to get out than the bungs were. The previous maintainer definitely used some sort of thread sealant on the bungs, and I'm thinking he/she did on the cap assy too.
Tried a heat gun and gently pulling the nuts out of their sockets, but it was causing a lot of distortion to the cap opening so I went back to the drawing board.

Anybody have ideas on something that might penetrate and soften thread sealant? I have some gasket remover on them now. Will post results.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
A desperate lunge, perhaps, but . . . why not contact IMS customer service regarding repair kits (if any, as mentioned above), and even . . . possibility of sending the tank back to the factory for repair. The latter, an expensive approach, but . . . maybe more affordable than a new IMS tank.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
A desperate lunge, perhaps, but . . . why not contact IMS customer service regarding repair kits (if any, as mentioned above), and even . . . possibility of sending the tank back to the factory for repair. The latter, an expensive approach, but . . . maybe more affordable than a new IMS tank.
You guys are right: I should give it a shot and find out for myself what their support is like.

Was thinking I'd try the sometimes-successful JB Plastic Weld repair with some All-Seal. Still may, depending on what I find out from IMS.

I always carry a spare vacuum pump rebuild kit with me, and what I realized this time was - that would have been moot if I couldn't get into my tank on some eternal dirt road deep on the reservation. So for that reason, I may look for used parts and go back to stock.

·
Registered
80 Posts
You guys are right: I should give it a shot and find out for myself what their support is like.

Was thinking I'd try the sometimes-successful JB Plastic Weld repair with some All-Seal. Still may, depending on what I find out from IMS.

I always carry a spare vacuum pump rebuild kit with me, and what I realized this time was - that would have been moot if I couldn't get into my tank on some eternal dirt road deep on the reservation. So for that reason, I may look for used parts and go back to stock.
I went with a 6.6gal on mine after trying the 10gal for a number of months. Just too much of a headache and nothing fits it (crash bars in particular)

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
I went with a 6.6gal on mine after trying the 10gal for a number of months. Just too much of a headache and nothing fits it (crash bars in particular)
Are crash bars necessary/desirable with an IMS tank installed?

Just curious (not in the current market for such a tank; have HT crash bars/engine protector/highway pegs). Helped a South African rider "build" a Generation 2 KLR650 for his projected 2-year, 50,000-mile ride (he reported as, "Riding Through The Americas," on ADV). We filled him up, pointed him south, and slapped him on the flank. He "ran out of gas" on his first leg (somehow drained one side of the tank; couldn't get the remainder over to the petcock side, I guess).

DISCLAIMER: No criticism intended IMS tanks; anecdote merely shows "operator error" can run dry even a 10-gallon tank.

Bike picture, Post # 18, this thread: https://advrider.com/f/threads/riding-through-the-americas.970477/

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
https://www.dirtracks.com/collections/klr650/products/2008-2017-kawasaki-klr-650-engine-crashbar
These bars fit mine, even with the super-beefy skid plate and the price was right, but if I decide to re-install the 10gal, I think I'll leave the bars off this time.

I liked the lower center of gravity but I'm now a lot less enamored with having that much fuel.

Are crash bars necessary/desirable with an IMS tank installed?
Sounds like no. Gonna try it without if I put this tank back on. This thing's a freakin' moose anyway, what with all the pannier racks, bar risers, drop pegs, center stand, upper/lower dash, Ram mount etc. etc. it'll be nice to lose the bars.

Helped a South African rider "build" a Generation 2 KLR650 for his projected 2-year, 50,000-mile ride (he reported as, "Riding Through The Americas," on ADV). We filled him up, pointed him south, and slapped him on the flank. He "ran out of gas" on his first leg (somehow drained one side of the tank; couldn't get the remainder over to the petcock side, I guess).
LOL, nice.
On a couple of occasions, I filled up with 9.9-some gallons, but again: I'm seeing more and more potential for back-country failure, so unless there's a fairly easy salvage for this tank, it's going away.

Hoping to hear something from IMS this week.

Thanks for chipping in guys.

·
Premium Member
2,903 Posts
Yeah, lighter is better for the most part. I know the 6.6 IMS does a pretty good job protecting the rad and I've added a JNS rad guard to mine which is a very nice (and light) pce. .....I've crashed (cough) a "few" (cough) times and it's held up great.

I remember GoMotor saying he didn't think the 10 gallon was that strong....no experience with them myself as almost 7 galls is more than enough for what I do - in fact I seldom fill it all the way up.

Dave

·
Registered
80 Posts
I tipped my klr over on the 10gal a few times and it stood up just fine. I just don't like the idea of using a gas tank as crash protection

Edit: and the dirtracks bars block the use of a kickstarter. I know, I'm picky.

·
Premium Member
2,903 Posts
I tipped my klr over on the 10gal a few times and it stood up just fine. I just don't like the idea of using a gas tank as crash protection
Fair enough.....*I* don't like picking up a 450lb bike on the trail all the time.....so no extra porkage for me.

Cheers,
Dave

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Hoping to hear something from IMS this week.
Yeah, no.

Luckily, the bike came with the stock tank as a spare. Although I tried, I'm glad I wasn't able to give that thing away :-D

If anybody wants the IMS hardware, filler neck for stock cap, bungs, fasteners, bracketry and customized radiator screen, send me a PM. If you think you can do something with the tank you can have that too. Shipping might be a chunk.
I just rebuilt the vacuum pump and it'll come with a spare diaphragm kit.

Make an offer via PM if interested.

·
Administrator
8,250 Posts
Did IMS say something or did they not respond?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts