Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been researching IMS tanks. I was thinking about crash bars but want to avoid adding weight. I've also heard that many, if not all crash bars set-up vibrations. Some more than others. I haven't seen anything about the IMS tanks creating vibrations, but considering they have lower frame bracing to the bottom of the tank side, I'm thinking that some extra vibrations, over what the KLR already has, might be possible.

Do IMS tanks create extra vibrations like crash bars do?

Doug
2014 1/2 bought Apr 2017

·
Premium Member
3,024 Posts
No. Furthermore most of us don't install those lower braces; all you need is the "puck" attachment and the two screws under the front of the seat.

If anything the plastic IMS would dampen vibrations that the stock metal tank could transmit.

Dave

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
...most of us don't install those lower braces; all you need is the "puck" attachment and the two screws under the front of the seat.
My last drop was behind Westbank near the powerlines. I could have used bars or the IMS tank .then. A lot of big rocks that smashed my plastic shroud.

Why do most not install the braces for the tank? Wouldn't they help prevent the tank from bending into the rad on a hard drop?

·
Premium Member
6,822 Posts
I'll ask, which size IMS Fuel Tanks you are each referring to? On which generation of bike?

Reactions: DPelletier

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll ask, which size IMS Fuel Tanks you are each referring to? On which generation of bike?
Good question. It's a 2014 so Gen 2 I guess. I could be wrong but I think IMS only has a 10 gal for Gen 2 KLR. I can't seem to find a dealer for them.

·
Premium Member
3,024 Posts
Paul raised a good point and I saw this post in "active topics" so I failed to notice it was in the "2008+" section. Apologies. My experience is limited to the IMS 6.6 installed on a Gen1. The 10gall is a different animal and is the only one listed for a Gen2 - BUT many people have installed the 6.6 on a Gen2 with minor tweeking.....if that's the direction you're looking at talk to Tom - he posted a how to on it.

The 10gallon isn't as adept at protecting the rad as the 6.6 according to some previous posts.

Cheers,
Dave

·
Premium Member
6,822 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
I've been researching IMS tanks. I was thinking about crash bars but want to avoid adding weight. I've also heard that many, if not all crash bars set-up vibrations. Some more than others. I haven't seen anything about the IMS tanks creating vibrations, but considering they have lower frame bracing to the bottom of the tank side, I'm thinking that some extra vibrations, over what the KLR already has, might be possible.

Do IMS tanks create extra vibrations like crash bars do?

Doug
2014 1/2 bought Apr 2017
I know zero about those tanks, but I have a set of Team Alba Racing Crash Bars which sell for $175 shipped at Amazon.com, gusseted for extra strength, ( most others are not) Rubber isolated and I can honestly say here with 100% surety that mine do not noticeably vibrate at any speed or rpm. They also mount to the frame tube just forward of the foot pegs, where others either mount to the peg mounts or the lower subframe mount, both of which, in my opinion, is a weak point to begin with without the added stress of having to absorb an impact from falling down.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know zero about those tanks, but I have a set of Team Alba Racing Crash Bars which sell for $175 shipped at Amazon.com, gusseted for extra strength, ( most others are not) Rubber isolated and I can honestly say here with 100% surety that mine do not noticeably vibrate at any speed or rpm. They also mount to the frame tube just forward of the foot pegs, where others either mount to the peg mounts or the lower subframe mount, both of which, in my opinion, is a weak point to begin with without the added stress of having to absorb an impact from falling down.
Interested. How much do they weigh?

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
It has been found by (GoMotor) and others that the IMS 10 gallon tank Is Not as protective of the radiator and other components as the 1st Generation 6.6 gallon IMS tank.
Read here, https://www.klrforum.com/550170-post15.html

And possibly other threads, https://www.klrforum.com/search.php?searchid=5275177
I got the big 10.7 gallon IMS tank for my 2011 gen2 KLR to protect the radiator without crash bars and to give me a loooong range without worrying about having enough fuel.

It turns out that the flexibility of the tank protects it from damage in a crash. It just folds in and pops back out. But, it will just fold in on the radiator unless you put some support behind it. I dropped it between two corn fields up in Saskatchewan a few years ago and it folded in and crushed the radiator. Now I have a new radiator and a 1"x1" cross bar from the frame down tube out behind the low wings on the tank to protect the radiator. I also put a longer fuel line from the petcock to the carburetor for the same reason. That section of the tank can also get bent in and pull on the fuel line and break the nipple off the carburetor. The tank will pop back out, but the carb is still broken.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It turns out that the flexibility of the tank protects it from damage in a crash. It just folds in and pops back out. But, it will just fold in on the radiator unless you put some support behind it. I dropped it between two corn fields up in Saskatchewan a few years ago and it folded in and crushed the radiator. Now I have a new radiator and a 1"x1" cross bar from the frame down tube out behind the low wings on the tank to protect the radiator. I also put a longer fuel line from the petcock to the carburetor for the same reason. That section of the tank can also get bent in and pull on the fuel line and break the nipple off the carburetor. The tank will pop back out, but the carb is still broken.
Did you have the lower tank braces on, that comes with the 10 gal IMS, when you dumped it the Sask corn fields? Do you have picks of your custom bracing?

·
Registered
282 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'd have to take em off and weigh them to answer that. I can say I don't notice them on the bike so whatever they weigh I can live with.
Here's the link to them. You could ask Team Alba. They answer all emails.
This is on their site:

SHIPPING INFORMATION
Weight: 17.2 lbs.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Did you have the lower tank braces on, that comes with the 10 gal IMS, when you dumped it the Sask corn fields? Do you have picks of your custom bracing?
I have written this three times and it keeps disappearing on me.

Yes, I had the lower tank braces that came with the 10.7 gallon tank in place. And I have photos of the braces I built, but I wasted two hours trying to get them down sized and into this post. Sorry, no luck.

The stock brace on the left below the radiator is plenty strong, but it attaches to the frame with one small bolt (6mm I think). If the bike fell on the left side from a stand still, the brace would probably hold the tank out and protect the radiator. But, when the bike lands on its side while moving forward, the lower lobe of the tank that the brace attaches to folds in and back. This bends the bolt at the frame and folds the brace and the radiator back and inward crushing the radiator and breaking the outlet half off.

I bolted two 1-1/2" angle irons about 6" long vertically to each side of the front motor mounts using the motor mount bolts with the sides of the angles turned out. I bolted a 1"x1" square tube across these angles out to the inner edge of the lower lobes of the tank. Finally I welded a couple of pieces of angle iron from the end of the square tubes back along the inner edge of the tank lobes to keep them from folding in when dropped.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts