Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellow riders, I am traveling in South America and presently in Equador. Gas is cheap here. 2.20 per gallon of 92 octane. However if you use 1 liter of oil at $6-7.00 for every fill up like I have to it is no longer cheap.

I am looking for a fix. Its either the rings, the valve stem oil seals or both.

As all you gen 1 owners know, the rings are no longer available for this bike. What rings or piston and ring kit does anyone recommend for this bike and what is it likely to be that is causing it to use so much oil. I am told that it might be broken sections between the rings on the piston and unlikely to be the valve oil seals.

Also does anyone know a good place in Ecuador where I can do the work. Someone that can help me maybe

Thanks guys
Nick

·
Registered
342 Posts
Saw a thread recently (will try to find it) where a guy from somewhere in SA said it was common thereabouts to use a Honda (IIRC) piston and rings. Same diameter, but slightly shorter, which lowered compression only slightly, but cleared the valves anyhow. He said these pistons were used in KLRs because they were readily available, and relatively cheap, compared to OEM stuff.

Search the forums; maybe you will find it before I do.

Edit: it's the Honda Dominator NX650 piston...check your thread in the "other" forum...there's a reply there that covers it.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
You might also be able to find a supplier who offers rings by dimensions. We used to source rings this way for all sorts of things but those businesses have apparently gone away in Canada because of not enough volume. We often bought rings which were a bit wider and recut the ring grooves to deal with worn piston ring grooves. Those were different times but you may find some of this going on in less developed countries because labor costs are lower compared with parts costs. That's what used to drive these options in Canada.

I should get off my butt and do some looking as it might help someone.

Another aspect is excessive piston clearance, especially if the cylinder needs true-honing to clean up too much taper or out of round. We used to knurl the piston skirt to expand the piston, then re-fit the piston. There were varying views as to clearances and whether it was better to put one together very tight with the knurl as rolled in or to draw file to specified clearance. I've done it both ways and found both to work well. One does need to watch temperature during initial break-in if fitting a tight knurl.

I might do my own that way here but not likely someone else' bike. These may be decent options down your way.

Question: Do you have the piston out of the engine? If so, how much taper & out of round? Piston clearance?

Do the rings look good? i.e. No scoring or chrome peeling, chipping from the oil rings, that sort of thing? If end gaps are within specs and other condition looks decent, it may be worth simply deglazing the cylinder and doing a hard break-in. I did one last year like that and oil consumption went down to normal. Apparently it was babied or otherwise lost ring fit. Just a thought as it would only take a head gasket and some time to find out. Assuming condition is decent.

Interesting option, Clogan, thanks! I wonder if a high compression piston is available for the NX650 which might do?

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
mechanic in Ecuador

come visit us at Ecuador Freedom Bike Rental -we'll be able to help you out. Our mechanic Diego worked for Kawasaki for a few years he knows all the tricks to making them stop using oil. We are located in the Mariscal section of Quito

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will come to Quito. thanks

Great Freedom, this is what I am looking for. I will be in quito in about 2 weeks or less.

Do you have an address for me and contact number?
Nick

come visit us at Ecuador Freedom Bike Rental -we'll be able to help you out. Our mechanic Diego worked for Kawasaki for a few years he knows all the tricks to making them stop using oil. We are located in the Mariscal section of Quito

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ecuador Freedom Bike Rental

GPS Coordinates:
S 00˚12'11.9"
W 078˚29'35.5"

Phone: 00-593-98-176-2340

Juan León Mera N22-37 (between Carrión and Veintimilla)
Quito
Pichincha
Ecuador

Open seven days a week from 10 am to 6 pm, including most holidays (closed on Christmas and New Year's Day).

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Thanks, Joe. I didnt want to get the admin on me for commercial messages by posting the address so thank you for doing it.

See you soon in two weeks. I will be out with two journalists from Overland Journal Oct 2-9th but Raphael will be in the shop (also a KLR owner) and he can introduce you to Diego.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks will see you in a two weeks

Ecuador Freedom Bike Rental

GPS Coordinates:
S 00˚12'11.9"
W 078˚29'35.5"

Phone: 00-593-98-176-2340

Juan León Mera N22-37 (between Carrión and Veintimilla)
Quito
Pichincha
Ecuador

Open seven days a week from 10 am to 6 pm, including most holidays (closed on Christmas and New Year's Day).

·
Administrator
3,641 Posts
Thanks, Joe. I didnt want to get the admin on me for commercial messages by posting the address so thank you for doing it.

See you soon in two weeks. I will be out with two journalists from Overland Journal Oct 2-9th but Raphael will be in the shop (also a KLR owner) and he can introduce you to Diego.
You were responding to help out a fellow traveller. Being a business or individual doesn't make a difference to us from a Moderation stand point. It would appear differently if you started the thread. It's all good and hope you can get Nick's issues solved.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
My thought also. I'm wondering about deck height, valve clearance, etc. though. Unless someone has done the work, I'd not buy one to try Putty and measuring may show up that I've wasted a bunch of dollars.

Sounds like a very possible option.

The more important aspect, IMO, is whether the NX650 rings might be compatible with the piston and provide a replacement ring source? Haven't had time to do any research as plate is too full with friends' carb work and trying to work out some bead seating system. :)

Hinting that someone else might look. ;-)

FWIW, there are several ATV pistons which are about the same bore as the KLR but with different deck or pin dimensions. I haven't checked them out either despite having had a number in my hands recently. Will measure some of those next chance in case we might find a ring substitution source.

Glad to hear that such high quality help is available for a stranded rider. The group is to be commended for having such as practical policy. Dogma can often get in the way of practicality so it's great that this group is flexible about commercial postings. :)

Since Wossner high-compression (11.5:1) pistons fit KLR650s, they might fit an NX650 also, Normk!

:)

http://www.wossneronline.com/?utm_s...EP&utm_term=Wossner Pistons&utm_campaign=Nett

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
My thought also. I'm wondering about deck height, valve clearance, etc. though.
I think you'll find a KLR650 application on the Wossner website, in my post above.

I should think the "deck height, valve clearance, etc.," issues have been settled for the KLR650, since the manufacturer lists a KLR650 application; however: Don't know if the same Wossner pistion and rings will fit a Honda, though. Further, don't know what compression ratio would result if it does.

Successful Wossner piston implantation in a KLR650 engine has been reported on the .net forum.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I hadn't realized that it was the same piston number used NX650 and KLR.

Are they the same piston number?

I think you'll find a KLR650 application on the Wossner website, in my post above.

I should think the "deck height, valve clearance, etc.," issues have been settled for the KLR650, since the manufacturer lists a KLR650 application; however: Don't know if the same Wossner pistion and rings will fit a Honda, though. Further, don't know what compression ratio would result if it does.

Successful Wossner piston implantation in a KLR650 engine has been reported on the .net forum.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I just looked and saw the piston numbers are different. The reason I wondered about piston number was because someone (I thought) had mentioned that the NX had a lower piston crown height than the KLR which is why one would need a higher compression NX piston if intending to subsitute into a KLR. No reason to do so unless a high compression piston were available for the NX which would raise the KLR compression- assuming one wished to do so. Just interested, mildly, in where this might lead.

I didn't see ring specs on the Woss site but had only a few minutes to look. Still wondering if the Woss rings might substitute into the earlier KLR piston for which rings are N/A? Slightly wider rings might be ideal as one could machine the grooves to compensate for some wear. Information gathering mostly as this is likely not of much use to anyone who cannot machine ring grooves and such.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts