Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In process of getting ready to buy a 2nd gen KLR soon. I need (2)dimensions please.

#1. Outside diameter of the front tire <>.
#2. Measurement from front of front tire to the center of rear ...axle.

Needing these for changes to my chock,rails ramps for hauling a KLR home .

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
Most bike-hauling hardware I've experienced is, more-or-less, "UNIVERSAL," in sizing. That is, fits a great variety of different-size bikes. Examples: Harbor Freight front-wheel chock, trailer-hitch bike carrier, single-rail bike trailer, etc.

If precision to the degree you suggest is necessary for your packaging, the diameter/circumference of the front tire can be found on the Internet (I researched this dimension myself, re-calibrating the speedometer on my KTM 690 with "trick" rims and tires. The process is digital; however . . . one must SNIP an OEM wire to perform it. Reckon some EU regulation fights fraudulent speedometer representations with the factory connection.).

Now, distance from front tire to rear axle? A visit to a dealership, or to the immediate seller, with a tape measure should answer this question to a practicable accuracy, IMHO.

And, truth be told, I've loaded bikes in a pickup bed, leaned against tire casings propped against the bed sides. This expedient may or may not be adequate hauling your bike from your point of purchase to your home; oughta work with a utility trailer as well.

With your unlimited budget, I'm certain you'll find the KLR650 meeting the exact criteria you have shared on this website.

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
This may not be super accurate but I'll give it a shot…

If the front tire is 21" and the tire is 90/90, you'd be looking at 21" + (81mm • 2). Super rough estimate I'm betting…

And in keeping with a theme of "rough estimate," if the stock wheelbase is 58.3", you'd just add half of the above total to that. Am I right?

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
This may not be super accurate but I'll give it a shot…

If the front tire is 21" and the tire is 90/90, you'd be looking at 21" + (81mm • 2). Super rough estimate I'm betting…

And in keeping with a theme of "rough estimate," if the stock wheelbase is 58.3", you'd just add half of the above total to that. Am I right?
The specific tire treads of even the same-sized tires affect tire diameter/circumference; also, the inflation pressure and tire wear affect the dimension. :)

I jest; I didn't mention atmospheric pressure and thermal expansion!

I found a chart listing nominal dimensions of motorcycle tires of varying sizes when calibrating the KTM speedometer (jibed exactly with GPS speed when I finished); no, don't have the link handy. Precision may be inadequate, given variations in manufacture, in any case.

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Good point! And . . . the modulus of elasticity and TENSION of the tape measure! :)
And let's not overlook the relativistic effects of the Earth's gravitational field. One could well say one must position tape measure, bike and truck (or trailer, as the case may be) at the same altitude… I mean, if accuracy were one's thing.

·
Premium Member
6,822 Posts
In process of getting ready to buy a 2nd gen KLR soon. I need (2)dimensions please.

#1. Outside diameter of the front tire <>.
#2. Measurement from front of front tire to the center of rear ...axle.

Needing these for changes to my chock,rails ramps for hauling a KLR home .

Thanks.
I'll suggest,

#1, 27&1/2" +/- 1/4" OD dependant on brand/model of tire.

#2, 73" +/- 1/2" dependant on F tire & chain wear.

Just killin' time anyways.

Reactions: samuel

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Pdwestman. That’s close enough for me to build an in the truck bed front chock, and I’m in the process of beefing up my tail gate. Where the rear tire ends up will be over an internal steel cross member on top of the square tubing I added at each existing rib, and a heavy angle iron at the tailgate top/edge. All hidden by the existing plastic covers. That way the corrugated plastic won’t crack. Thanks again. You know, for a minute there I thought I was going to have to call NASA. There are NO Kawasaki dealerships with in 100 miles from me that has a KLR . Also ,I’ve loaded and unloaded a lot of bikes but when I do purchase and load the KLR is it easier if My truck is pointing East or West to take advantage of the Earth rotation ? Or against it ? .....

·
Administrator
8,362 Posts
African or European KLR?

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
I'll suggest,

#1, 27&1/2" +/- 1/4" OD dependant on brand/model of tire.

#2, 73" +/- 1/2" dependant on F tire & chain wear.

Just killin' time anyways.
Shouldn't you HALVE that # 1? Only the radius, not the diameter, of the front tire figures into the geometry in my view.

African or European KLR?
I don't know. AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
European KLR doesn't have the lifting capacity that the African KLR does. Therefore you couldn't expect the European KLR to carry things such as oh, I don't know, coconuts? 2 European KLR though could share the load of coconuts between them

African or European KLR?

Reactions: Damocles

·
Administrator
8,362 Posts
But does it have the lift necessary to not require loading into a truck against the earth's rotation? I should think so, but can't recall ever intentionally loading one first one way, then the other, to test this.

And would it require a line made from a creeper?

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
But does it have the lift necessary to not require loading into a truck against the earth's rotation? I should think so, but can't recall ever intentionally loading one first one way, then the other, to test this.
We hadn't even BEGUN consideration of the Coriolis forces; thanks for surfacing the issue!

·
Premium Member
401 Posts

And would it require a line made from a creeper?
I mean, the Earth's rotation has to come into it, right?? Or is this perhaps another instance of the "proof?" 0:)

·
Premium Member
6,822 Posts
Wow. You guys must be even more bored of winter than I.

Not a one of you have taken measurements with 16 or 17 tooth sprocket installed!

·
Administrator
8,362 Posts
...Not a one of you have taken measurements with 16 or 17 tooth sprocket installed!
Uh, Paul, not a one of us has taken any measurement at all!

Reactions: pdwestman
1 - 20 of 32 Posts