Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was lucky enough to find a leather jacket that fits great. Does have elbow shoulder and back pads. Teknic 40 bucks like new

It is black. Should I be concerned about visibility and is there an easy way to add red or yellow striping?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do have a white helmet. Guess I thought a vest would flap around and be annoying. I'll give it a try. I was thinking more along the lines of reflective tape or such

·
Administrator
4,535 Posts
Hard to get anything to stick to leather. The vest I use is light cloth with snap buttons. No flapping at all.

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
High viz gear generates a lot of opinions. Some swear by it and others assert it has no value. I believe it helps . Those that dismiss it always cite some instance where an accident happened involving a rider wearing hi viz gear. I believe they are drawing the wrong conclusion. Some folks are so dim, blind ,and feckless that they would run into you no matter what you were or were not wearing. Most folks in a cage appreciate seeing a rider with at least a hi viz vest, in my travels they will back off some if following you. I think they might be making a value judgement, perhaps, "umm he's not a dirt bag with that hi viz vest on, I'll give some room". Hi Viz has value, maybe not a Superman suit but not a target .YMMV.

·
Premium Member
2002 gen 1 street-ized commuter special--Flatland Flyer--
133 Posts
hiviz helps you to be seen....you wanna blend in or stand out

·
Registered
'08 KLR
396 Posts
Hi-viz is sorta like advertising. It difficult to know how many additional people ads bring to your business, but you can know for sure that if you don't advertise it will have zero positive effect. Likewise with hi-viz - there's no way to know how many people didn't pull out in front of you because they actually noticed you, but it's safe to assume the number isn't zero. Even if it's only one, that could've been the one that got ya. ATGATT, hi-vis, hyper vigilance, and defensive driving: Because you can't live to ride another day unless you don't die today.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts