Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody tell me if a valve check is part of the initial 600 mile maintenance? My factory manual says no but I read posts from guys who say they get it done. Any info is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Administrator
3,563 Posts
If you are taking it to the dealership and ask them to do it they will take the cover off, check the clearances and if they are within "spec" they will do nothing, except charge you for it. Unlikely that the valve clearance will be out of "spec" at 600 miles so maybe that's why it isn't in the book.

Now if you are doing it yourself you have the option of getting the clearances to the loose end of the "spec" and then you don't have to worry about it for awhile.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Skid, I just did mine at 600 miles. Both of the intake valves were tight with the left one out of specification.

I went ahead and took the opportunity to set them to the loose end. This is not that daunting a job if you have any mechanical inclination or can follow directions, you can probably do the job yourself, save some bucks and earn some experience. You may be fine waiting to the suggested interval. Just wanted to add my .02 cents worth since I just did the procedure and found tight valves. When you do them, let us know about your specs. Good luck.

Hal

·
Registered
57 Posts
my friend at the dealer I got my bike from said the 600 is basically an oil change....and to see if you broke it in properly.....they turn it on and if it sounds ok, they say its ok.

·
Administrator
3,563 Posts
my friend at the dealer I got my bike from said the 600 is basically an oil change....and to see if you broke it in properly.....they turn it on and if it sounds ok, they say its ok.

Ya, that sounds about the speed of the dealership.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Everyone,
Thanks for helping me out. Really appreciate your comments. Ride safe.

Skid

1 - 7 of 7 Posts