Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Indeed; the Versys X is too street biased for me. I sure liked my Versys 650 but it wasn't offroad worthy IMO. I thought long and hard about going orange again and getting KTM690R's instead; they are far more capable stock to stock and it's taken me quite the pile of parts to get my KLR's within striking distance but the KTM's weird ergos (to me) and small fuel capacity held me back......and I think the KLR's longevity is unmatched in the segment at any price.

Funny thing is that I had nine bikes in the garage when I bought my 1st KLR and the KLR is the only bike left (well, except it spawned another KLR). Not great at anything but capable of going almost anywhere. Once my dedicated offroad bikes were gone, then the upgrades (mainly suspension) were required to raise the KLR's bar.

Cheers,
Dave
You clearly had too many bikes. :grin2:

·
Registered
2022 klr 650
1 Posts
This…

I was informed that adding a sixth gear would have actually raised the price a surprising amount (at least to me anyway) and keeping the KLR650 at a reasonable price was paramount.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I usually carry the 14 tooth sprocket and run a 16 tooth. At first I ran the Eagle Mike Prevailing Torque nut for 15 minute swaps. Not I use the plate with 2 nuts for 10 minute swaps including chain adjustment. I might get a chain tensioner so I can skip that as well.

·
Registered
355 Posts
This…

I was informed that adding a sixth gear would have actually raised the price a surprising amount (at least to me anyway) and keeping the KLR650 at a reasonable price was paramount.
They could have swapped in the Vulcan S engine for minimal expense and bitchslapped the T7. The KLE 500 updated to the Vulcan S would have been perfect.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts