Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those looking to do this, the outlet itself is indeed plug and play but the factory wiring (in my example at least) was secured too far behind the cowling above the headlight and was tightly secured to other wires, with no slack to spare to pull them out to make the connection. After struggling for an hour to work in that small space, I decided to remove the windscreen and both side fairings to lift the headlight cowling up a little ways to access the factory connectors for the 12V receptacle. To do that, you also need to press the center of the four plastic "insta-rivets" on the dash to release them and ease them out...be careful doing that. I then cut the plastic connector holding the wrapped wires attached to a metal hole that is bent in the top middle of the pic...it's very weak so be careful with that too if you decide to remove it (my cutters actually snipped the metal along with the plastic before I decided to quit struggling and take the cowling off).

The factory green connectors are seen in the top right of the pic. Notice the installed relay on the far left of the pic that you must also purchase before trying to use the 12V connector if you have a base model. The 12V green connectors are at the bottom center of the pic. Of note, I also unplugged the front right turn signal light connection (lower right loose connection in the pic) to facilitate easier access to make the connections.

Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Automotive lighting

Hope this helps. Rubber side down.

·
Registered
KLR 2014 Gen 2
207 Posts
For those looking to do this, the outlet itself is indeed plug and play but the factory wiring (in my example at least) was secured too far behind the cowling above the headlight and was tightly secured to other wires, with no slack to spare to pull them out to make the connection. After struggling for an hour to work in that small space, I decided to remove the windscreen and both side fairings to lift the headlight cowling up a little ways to access the factory connectors for the 12V receptacle. To do that, you also need to press the center of the four plastic "insta-rivets" on the dash to release them and ease them out...be careful doing that. I then cut the plastic connector holding the wrapped wires attached to a metal hole that is bent in the top middle of the pic...it's very weak so be careful with that too if you decide to remove it (my cutters actually snipped the metal along with the plastic before I decided to quit struggling and take the cowling off).

The factory green connectors are seen in the top right of the pic. Notice the installed relay on the far left of the pic that you must also purchase before trying to use the 12V connector if you have a base model. The 12V green connectors are at the bottom center of the pic. Of note, I also unplugged the front right turn signal light connection (lower right loose connection in the pic) to facilitate easier access to make the connections.

View attachment 31697

Hope this helps. Rubber side down.
Hi. Interesting post, if I understood you well, what you are saying is that there is an available female plug within the wire harness behind the headlamp/cluster that has power when the bike is on and it is ready to accept a connection ? Is it the green female connector with that clear sheath ?

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yessir, there are two factory connectors- male and female - present to accept a 12V receptacle that has similar connectors. Mine were tough to get to; hence my post. I got mine and the relay from 3D Cycleparts.

·
Registered
KLR 2014 Gen 2
207 Posts
Great to know ! Plan on adding a USB port (phones and devices) and a lighter port (air compressor or other) and two connectors there make it very easy !

I have a temperature gauge face that adds actual Fahrenheit numbers to the analog gauge, so upon opening the cluster will go after it !!!

Thanks for the heads up !

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great to know ! Plan on adding a USB port (phones and devices) and a lighter port (air compressor or other) and two connectors there make it very easy !

I have a temperature gauge face that adds actual Fahrenheit numbers to the analog gauge, so upon opening the cluster will go after it !!!

Thanks for the heads up !
Not sure if you’ll have the same issues if your KLR isn’t a ‘22 model, tho…

·
Registered
21 Posts
I added this to my bike last week. I made a pigtail connector and used a headlight relay I had from a sxs project. Glad they put all that wiring there. And a fuse under the seat to boot.(y)I used 2 long offset needle nose and they just barely saved me from taking more stuff apart.

·
Registered
KLR 2014 Gen 2
207 Posts
Not sure if you’ll have the same issues if your KLR isn’t a ‘22 model, tho…
I see, I was not aware we were talking about the 22'

Mine might be different plus never read anything related to Gen 2 about having factory connectors available

That is ok, wonder why these dual purpose bikes have no accessory fuse boxes from factory

1 - 7 of 7 Posts