Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What issues, if any, are involved in replacing a 1998 broken engine with a 2008 or newer one? I know the bolts are the same. Are there issues with ignition, etc? Or can I simply bolt up, wire up, and fire up?

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
Ignitions vastly different.

Generation 1: CDI; AC-powered from exciter coil of stator.

Generation 2: "FTBI," Fully-Transistorized Breakerless Ignition (inductive discharge ignition); DC-powered from battery circuit.

Generation 2 stator don't have no stinkin' exciter coil. Could you rig up a "kluge," activate a Generation 1 CDI from one leg of the three-phase alternator of a Generation 2 engine? Maybe so; and . . . maybe you wouldn't rob the battery rectifier circuit excessively, but . . . wouldn't GO there, if I could avoid the situation . . .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Lone Rider for the explanation. I'd been told I need to swap the stator, rotor and coil and then it would be good to go. But not the why. This makes it clear.

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
As a minimum, looks to me like you'd have to keep the Generation 1 stator to power the Generation 1 CDI; I'd think the Generation 1 ignition coil would continue to function with that arrangement, don't know if the rotors are interchangeable.

Alternatively, you could swap out for total Generation 2 ignition (e.g., "igniter," ignition coil, etc.) and alternator circuitry, assuming rectification/regulation scheme is compatible between generations.

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
My speculation involves considerable assumptions; for example, I assume the pickup coil (and timing mass on the rotor) and its signal and geometry remain compatible between generations . . .

·
Registered
452 Posts
why not keep gen 2 ignition and adapt wiring harness ?

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
why not keep gen 2 ignition and adapt wiring harness ?
Not clear whether ignition follows engine.

Igniter, ignition coil, and maybe other components remain separate from the engine itself.

Certainly, exchanging a complete engine/alternator/rectifier/regulator/ignition package seems plausible, but--might take some deliberation to make it happen.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have two more questions. The '98 stator seems to fit well with the 09 rotor. Have not tried it yet as I'm still doing some other work on the bike, but will the 09 rotor work with the 98 stator? If not, I'll just swap rotors. too.

The other question is the 09 head has a vent pipe which the 98 does not. I'm assuming this is for a PCV valve to help reduce pressure and reduce oil consumption? Anyway, if it is for PCV, does the line just dump into the airbox? If not, where. And would simple putting a breather filter on it be a simple fix. I've not been able to find a schematic that shows where to route the line!!!

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
All you need to do is swap stator covers, or take guts from first and install into second....been there done that....works like a charm.:13:

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
All you need to do is swap stator covers, or take guts from first and install into second....been there done that....works like a charm.:13:
The Generation 1 stator has an exciter coil to power the Generation 1 CDI. The Generation 2 stator has NO exciter coil; thus . . . a Generation 2 FTBI (ignition) would be required for operation with the later stator.

As to exchanging guts, some compatability must exist regarding pickup coils, rotors, engines, and ignitions, for successful Frankenbiking, iMHO.

Fundamentally, Generation 1 ignitions are powered by alternating current; Generation 2 ignitions by 12 volts direct current; this fact must be accommodated in changing engines, again, IMHO.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Yes....what I am saying is, you can either just keep the outer cover from the original engine on the bike with stator inside or change out the guts plus the rotor from the earlier model and install them into the new model engine like what I have done....both ways do work seeing as you are keeping the same stator and rotor I forgot to add from the original engine to match to the charging sytem.:13::t1202:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts