Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
KLR 2014 Gen 2
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to add another pair of lamps, I have 2 (Euro beam which is wide and not that deep, Pencil beam for dark highway drive) sets and adding a third one, amber Fog lamps.

After brain storming about a safe location I realized this part of the fairing is strong plastic.

Plan on drilling 2 small holes and adding 2 brackets that will have to have some special angle to allow mounting on them the amber fog lamps which are not heavy at all

Just corroborating with those having dealt with this part, seems theto be the hearth of the front end / fairing, after the metal frame off course, but this plastic is strong not prone to cracks

This is the plastic part in question and there yellow dots signal aprox drilling locations
Automotive design Automotive exterior Personal protective equipment Font Auto part

·
Registered
160 Posts
I mounted an additional driving light...you could use the same brackets? I just wanted one light so modified it to suit.

What I like about this mount is that it stiffens up the whole top of the screen mount as it also connects to the two bolts that hold the fairing onto the frame.

Hood Motor vehicle Tree Automotive lighting Automotive design

·
Registered
KLR 2014 Gen 2
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I mounted an additional driving light...you could use the same brackets? I just wanted one light so modified it to suit.

What I like about this mount is that it stiffens up the whole top of the screen mount as it also connects to the two bolts that hold the fairing onto the frame.

View attachment 31764
I have that lamp bracket

I have a spot light set up, a hybrid set up, kind of a flood lamp beam, and want to add a fog lamp set up for heavy fog conditions where spot lamps or hybrid lamps only blind the way

I think by using the windshield kit you have in there I could add a bar to that more vertical windshield frame

What brand is that windshield frame kit you have ?

🙂👍🏻

AzMntThumper, not my best choice to drill the fairing, will
Avoid it if possible, but would be a possibility if that frame part where solid, like hard plastic versus flimsy fairing (outer) plastic

👍🏻

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have that lamp bracket

I have a spot light set up, a hybrid set up, kind of a flood lamp beam, and want to add a fog lamp set up for heavy fog conditions where spot lamps or hybrid lamps only blind the way

I think by using the windshield kit you have in there I could add a bar to that more vertical windshield frame

What brand is that windshield frame kit you have ?

🙂👍🏻

AzMntThumper, not my best choice to drill the fairing, will
Avoid it if possible, but would be a possibility if that frame part where solid, like hard plastic versus flimsy fairing (outer) plastic

👍🏻

·
Registered
2009 KLR650
177 Posts
Ive got some mounted on my engine guard brackets, in front of the radiator, I will disappointed if you don't put some lights there too. I want to see the glow of your bike above the treetops from 2 miles out. That should be sufficient.

·
Premium Member
11,515 Posts
A word of warning.
When one Brightens the area so much Directly in-front of a vehicle, the Pupils of our eyes Contract so Much that we Can Not SEE as well at the outer limits of our lights in darkness.

At highway speeds, too much light in the Wrong area can be More of a hindrance than help.

I've read that in many European countries riding/driving with Fog lights on in day or night when it is Not Foggy one can acquire a ticket.
Maybe they have studied something that we should know & understand?

Reactions: schlim

·
Registered
KLR 2014 Gen 2
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Well

I ride a lot at night time and under different conditions.

That is exactly why I have 2 sets (Spot and Euro beams) yet looking forward for my third and last set,Fog beams

It is not about looks or illuminating trees two miles away like someone said

When on dark straight long highways, a Euro beam pattern would not help when you really want to see as far away as possible to make sure there is nothing on the way.

At highway speeds something on the road needs be seen in time, be it objects or vehicles

I do not ride with lamps on all the time on the highway, no need for that, all you do is turn them on every now and then, check conditions and turn them off, saving also battery power.

When in close quarters like a bushy or vegetation full winding road, a spot pattern would be useless, you need a wider angle and not a pattern as deep as pencil beam offers, so under those conditions the Euro Beam pattern is the lamp set needed.

Under heavy fog, no matter if it were a long straight dark countryside highway or a winding road, Pencil Beam or Euro Beam patterns are useless

Too much power that can not penetrate the water particles, creating a blinding wall of light ahead of you

Under those conditions you need Fog beam pattern lamps

I take some of the comments I read as jokes or plain inexperience riding at night time under different demanding conditions

Sometimes sharing what we do calls for the wrong type of reaction or audiences

·
Registered
2009 KLR650
177 Posts
I thought it was pretty obvious that you used these lights conditionally, the only time you would need them all on is to melt the corneas of everything in a half mile of you. Pauls response may be partially towards me trying to be funny.

·
Registered
165 Posts
another place to mount lights (not too big or heavy lights) is on your mirror stalks. i have these mounted on the zrx mirrors that replaced the stock gen1 buzzy pieces;

while i got these more for me being visible (replaced some smaller aerostitch marker lights - wired to the unused city light connectors), they do cast useful light down in front of me and, unlike the headlight, follow the bars.

edit to add some pics, the "L" brackets were leftover from the aerostitch lights i removed (2 failed within a few years, the wires are oh-so thin...).
Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Plant Vehicle

·
Registered
KLR 2014 Gen 2
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I thought it was pretty obvious that you used these lights conditionally, the only time you would need them all on is to melt the corneas of everything in a half mile of you. Pauls response may be partially towards me trying to be funny.
No worries

Sometimes upon reading emails or replies on forums, it is easy to get diverted and get carried away, understanding something in a manner different to the intended message, or missing out something else changes the perception

No worries

Understood is we all try to improve our rides through great maintenance and / or adding accessories, it is all good

·
Premium Member
11,515 Posts
My comment is for Everyones consideration. Even when driving their automobile. Try it on a deserted road, like most of Wyoming.

I am pleased to read that 'jaimesix' uses his different lights in different situations, as needed. :)

Reactions: jaimesix
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.