Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stock instrument bulbs are type 194, wedge base bulbs.
Dimensions are 24mm length overall, 17mm bulb length, 9mm by 3.5mm base, bulb diameter is 10mm.
A longer bulb than stock bulb can be used in instrument housing.
The stock 194 bulb is approximate 3 lumens (my guess).

LEDS
The below bulbs were purchased from superbrightleds.com. I researched several manufacturers and suppliers of LED bulbs and settled on this company since they provided technical details for their bulbs and prices were good. I am not affiliated with this company.

WLED-W, 120 degrees, 3 lumens, white. Great for gauge lighting.

WLED-GHP, 12000 mcd at 120 degrees, green (Polarized). Perfect for Neutral light. Note: This bulb will not work as a turn signal indicator, without modifications, since this bulb is polarized and the turn signal indicator changes polarity between left and right turn. To use as a turn signal indicator: purchase a full-wave rectifier from Radio Shack for $1.39; cut the wiring near the bulb plug and solder the rectifier to the wiring so the AC is the input and the DC goes to the bulb socket.

WLED-BHP, 6000 mcd at 120 degrees, 18 lumens, blue. Brighter than stock High Beam indicator.

WLED-GLX, 21000 mcd at 120 degrees, 66 lumens, green. Non-polarized bulb will work in turn signal. Too bright for night time.

WLED-G4, 10350 mcd at 32/90 degrees, 2.5/19 lumens, green. Did not try this bulb. It is non-polarized which will allow installing as a turn signal indicator.

Use this link to convert milli-candela to lumens.
go to led.linear1.org/lumen.wiz

Stock bulb illumination: Only the Neutral indicator is on.

go to i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k487/desertduster/100_7848.jpg

After conversion: using WLED-GHP, WLED-BHP, WLED-GLX. Note the turn signal LED was later changed to WLED-GHP (with a full wave rectifier for polarity correction). The WLED-GHP is too bight and is a distraction.

go to i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k487/desertduster/100_7986.jpg

·
Administrator
3,609 Posts
Those are bright for sure. Added the picture in post so it was easier.

·
Registered
562 Posts
All of my bulbs (except headlight) are from superbright. I like having a really noticable neutral, but I need a brighter high beam as that indicator is hard to see in daylight. I forget which one is for the turn signals, but it was $9.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts