Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed that the left lower quadrant of my Tach is very dimly lit compared to the rest of the gauges. I can barely make out the 0-2 when it's really dark. Is this normal, or do I have a bulb out on my 06? Thanx, and Ride Safe!

·
Registered
284 Posts
I just replaced all three bulbs on my KLR. I found that will all the lights working properly that the lower left quadrant you speak of is much darker than the rest and especially the upper right area. Seems to be the nature of the layout I suppose.

·
Registered
93 Posts
If you have your instrument panel apart (not hard, just time consuming), you will see that each of the illumination bulbs set in a small metal shield that I assume is intended to disperse the light. I bent each one back a bit so the light can be less blocked, and that made a noticeable difference. I have now replaced the bulbs with LEDs, and having bent the metal shields back is even more valuable, since the LEDs are uni-directional.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Guys. Hey Marty,oops er, I mean, SgtMarty, what type or number are those bulbs? If I 'm going to open up the panel, I may as well replace em to avoid doing this again. Thanx again.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Ooh, I have those bulbs somewhere, Alan, but I'd have to look for them. I used Tammy's LED replacement bulbs, which she sold at TWC as a kit. There's a website (superbrightleds.com?) that has them, but I'd have to research the bulb type. I'll go check the garage in a bit and see if I can find them.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Okay, I found the bulbs I pulled out. the larger illumination bulbs (the ones you can pull out from the back of the instrument panel) are marked YSH 158. The two smaller bulbs (neutral light and sidestand light) are the same blade-style, but are not marked. If you are only replacing them, you can take out the ones that are in there and compare them to LEDs that you might find online or elsewhere.

To bend the metal shields away, you will have to disassemble the panel. Again, it's not hard, just tedious.

Sorry, I don't have my camera with me.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I bought my LED Dash lights at: http://autolumination.com/194.htm because they list their bulbs by cross reference size. For example, most of the bulbs in the dash are 194. I got the frosted kind in the colors they are supposed to be. Blue for High Beam, Green for Nuetral, and the White ones for the dash lights. The blinker indicator light is not a 194, if I remember correctly. I couldn't find one of those as an LED. (Maybe I did, which is why it doesn't blink... I dunno, it's been a long time)

But I didn't know about the bending of the shied back. Good tip. But, I'll be getting a new Vapor Speedo unit here shortly anyway. Which is why I got the colored LEDs instead of just getting white and letting the plastic lens do the trick. I already counted on needing to wire up those lights on a dash panel of some kind and would like them to be in the correct color by themselves.

Anyway, the bulbs were cheap there, and popped right in the dash.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The blinker bulb cannot be an LED bulb. LEDs are polarity specific; standard incandescent bulbs will work with the current flowing in either direction. The blinker indicator bulb gets lit up when either turn signal is on, and the current flows in either direction. There may be a way to wire in an LED replacement circuit, but it isn't worth it.

·
Registered
595 Posts
That explains why when I hit my blinker it just stays lit. I thought it was the lack or battery power at first after I wired up my new turn signal switch. I thought maybe the blink portion of the relay needed more power.

I didn't see why it couldn't work when I ordered. Doesn't our bikes have a turn signal relay that turns light off then on?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Yeah, it has a blinker relay. When people put in low-draw bulbs (regular bulbs), the electrical draw is sometimes too low to activate the blinker relay and you get no blinking. Same as when one bulb goes out, the other one just stays on.

On the blinker light in the instrument panel, the wires to that bulb go through each turn signal. When one is turned on, the other line becomes a floating ground (dead "hot" circuit). So the current flows in both directions through that bulb, using the same two wires. That means the bulb has to be incandescent. LEDs light up only when current flows through in the intended direction.

If I remember right, I tried to rig a wiring job a couple years ago to run current through an LED, but it just stayed on all the time. Finally realized the polarity issue.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I asked about the Vapor unit, and Chris at Trail Tech wrote back to me:

"I have a kit that I sell to the KLR guys. It is the 75-500 kit. The only thing is that you will need to specify that you want a 8mm magnetic bolt in it and the water temp sensor is slightly to small in diameter for the KLR rad line so if you install it you might need to pinch the hose clamps down quite a way."

The kit says it fits the Kawasaki KDX 200/220 '95-'06: "This is a complete Vapor installation kit. Comes with Trail Tech Vapor computer, power wire, RPM sensor, temperature sensor, speed sensor, handlebar mounting hardware and instructions. Aluminum protector sold separately ... Engine temp. sensor is radiator hose insert (3/4")."

http://trailtech.net/store/75-500.html

I ordered one today. Anyone need an '06 KLR instrument cluster?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts