Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
bought an 09 klr and damn is it pretty. would really frost my ass if it got stolen, but not too worried about getting insurance for anything other than that. i used to have motorcycle insurance on a cruiser i had, but not yet on this one. the cost of the bike was hard enough to justify with the wife, and now there's all the friggin accessories and mods and this and that...not too sure i want to throw in more money for insurance or i might be sleeping in the garage with the klr!

anyone ever get their klr ripped off???

and how about the best, cheapest bike insurance that you have found(i don't think our current vehicle/homeowners ins company offers motorcycle ins) so i would have to look elsewhere.

thanks in advance!

ben

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
I have USAA. I don't think they're the cheapest, but they are the best.

I have heard of KLR's getting stolen. Apparently the Gen2 models are stolen pretty regularly in some parts of the country. I think I remember reading about it being one of the easier bikes to steal.

Although any bike two dudes can pick up is pretty damn easy.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I could have sworn somebody on this site had theirs stolen. Might have been a pair of them. I think it's the guy who is retired and traveling in an RV.. can't remember his username right now.

·
Registered
177 Posts
anyone ever get their klr ripped off???

YES Had $4100 into it, that would buy insurance for a few years but I've been riding 50 years and have lost 2 bikes. That 50 year's worth of insurance premiums would buy those 2 bikes easily. (neither was new)

Liability...absolutely, theft...maybe.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I could have sworn somebody on this site had theirs stolen. Might have been a pair of them. I think it's the guy who is retired and traveling in an RV.. can't remember his username right now.
Was that DaddyJoe and Marcia? i know he had to run from a fire once and leave the KLRs behind... but went back for them...
I heard rumors that he's given up on the KLR... wonder if thats why.

Anybody Know?

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
I heard rumors that he's given up on the KLR... wonder if thats why.

Anybody Know?
I'm not sure, either. I know Daddyjoe stops in on a regular basis, but doesn't post much

As far as insurance, I insure EVERYTHING. I have liability only on my 14 year old truck, but everything else gets full coverage. House, car, boat through State Farm, and bikes through Progressive, which is the cheapest I can find.

My insurance is pretty cheap except for the Wing, which doubles what I pay for the other bikes, combined.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Daddy Joe decided to take a break from riding. You can probably find the thread. But that's the gist.

Wanderer, you're right. I remember someone posting up about thefts in Canada...don't think it was DJ, though. But my memory is screwy.

·
Registered
90 Posts
When you can full coverage for less than $1 a day, why wouldn't you? I spend more than that on coffee!

Of course, it depends on location, driving record, claims, deductible etc.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Progressive here, too. KLR only costs me $150 a year, full coverage. Actually adding it to my policy reduced the rate on my Honda Super Blackbird so much that the insurance was, essentially, free on the KLR. I can't imagine not insuring it, too many thieves and non drivers out there for my taste.

just my opinion, though.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Progressive here, too. KLR only costs me $150 a year, full coverage. Actually adding it to my policy reduced the rate on my Honda Super Blackbird so much that the insurance was, essentially, free on the KLR. I can't imagine not insuring it, too many thieves and non drivers out there for my taste.

just my opinion, though.
@150 per year what is your deductible?

maybe i'll get off my lazy arse and check around.

thanks for all the info!

·
Registered
40 Posts
$500 deductible, comp and collision both. It helps having multiple bikes on the policy.. but even when a only had 1 bike, a Suzi DRZ400S I only paid 100 a year for it. Of course I am in my 40's, so that helps..

·
Registered
20 Posts
Progressive insurance, full coverage, and about $165 a year. Also, insurance is required in Virginia.

·
Registered
44 Posts
$150 a year?? I have a no tickets or accidents ever and mine cost $30 a month with Geico. I live in Tijuana mexico, your damn right I keep insurance for theft!

·
Registered
269 Posts
man i gotta check mine so you all can hear how gross insurance is in canada (espically BC)!i think my insurance is around $600 just for the required liabilty just for the bike (no theft fire or comprehensive). F%^&* re-tard-id. at least in my old home of nova scotia canada,you could insure all your vehicles for $1000 or so

·
Registered
40 Posts
Tijuana MX no doubt has a higher theft rate than middle-of-nowhere Missouri where my bikes live. I sure don't blame you for spending $360 a year for the peace of mind.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts