Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heres some fairly intense footage of me beating the crap out of my KLR at the local sand dunes. I'm pretty sure if my wife ever sees this my motorcycle privileges will be revoked for good. Not being a huge fan of Go-Pro it was a lot of work setting up, riding and editing the shots... and both me and the bike are still feeling it. However I feel that what I ended up with is pure KLR gold, enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYfgx9QaYTY

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Sand Riding

Great riding! I agree, it's a lot of work to get good video. More so if you do it alone.

·
Lifetime Member
2,482 Posts
I saw that video on alberta dual sport as well, awesome riding! Was that at the Redwater recreation area?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I saw that video on alberta dual sport as well, awesome riding! Was that at the Redwater recreation area?
That was near Slave Lake at an area locally called "The Jackpines". I've only ever rode at Redwater on a dirt bike, more of the worst whoops than I've ever seen over there but the sand itself is a little easyer to ride. The jackpines isn't the most difficult sand I've ridden but its deffinatly up there as it never seems to set up or pack down, you can see its pretty wet on the video but it still feels like riding in mashed potatos.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Now THAT is how a KLR should be ridden!

Though comfortable, I wish I was that confident in sand.

Sal: That reminds me of your crazy, sand-riding friend.

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
Exphysical,
That was some very 'aggressive' riding for a KLR!
I can push it fairly quick in the flat sand gullies around Lander, WY but I don't think I'd care to ride your whoops and ketch air like that, on a KLR. ('89 KX500, yes).

I think my OEM KLR suspension geometry/springs causes too much handlebar wag to handle your whoops!

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Great video. You got talent, man. That's for sure. My KLR doesn't do that. You can see the dirt bike skillz - the KLR is my first "off road" vehicle and I've been riding bikes for a while. I hate sand.

Well done with the bike and the camera.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great video. You got talent, man. That's for sure. My KLR doesn't do that. You can see the dirt bike skillz - the KLR is my first "off road" vehicle and I've been riding bikes for a while. I hate sand.

Well done with the bike and the camera.
Yeah, I think coming from a street bike background to offroad riding is almost worse than having no riding experience at all. I rode street for a long time before briefly owning a dirtbike and I had a heck of a time getting used to it, I pretty much owned that dirtbike just long enough that it quit feeling weird as heck and my next bike was the KLR. The KLR took some getting used to because the way you need to ride it switches as fast as the pavement changes to dirt.

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
This is what I tell my customers/potential customers,
Dirt bikers, make better Street riders! Motorcycle Riders, make better car Drivers!
If one learns to ride on dirt, slipping and slidding on two-tracks/single-tracks and mud and rocks and tree roots, a little sand on the intersection is 'par for the course'.

If one learns to be a Motorcyclist, one will Forever Look Out for your Fellow Motorcyclist! Or other small vehicles.

Todays automobile drivers seem to Ignore anything smaller than THEMSELVES!

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
This is what I tell my customers/potential customers,
Dirt bikers, make better Street riders! Motorcycle Riders, make better car Drivers!
If one learns to ride on dirt, slipping and slidding on two-tracks/single-tracks and mud and rocks and tree roots, a little sand on the intersection is 'par for the course'.

If one learns to be a Motorcyclist, one will Forever Look Out for your Fellow Motorcyclist! Or other small vehicles.

Todays automobile drivers seem to Ignore anything smaller than THEMSELVES!
Agreed!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Nice! That would be tough for a lot of noobs on the KLR. Next try that when that sand is dry as you were cheating a bit...then do it on a Gen 2. Afterwards try a KTM and you can zip twice as fast.

·
Missed Gear
1,193 Posts
Pure gold indeed...

Great riding and video..

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice! That would be tough for a lot of noobs on the KLR. Next try that when that sand is dry as you were cheating a bit...then do it on a Gen 2. Afterwards try a KTM and you can zip twice as fast.
I'll ride any sand you want, as dry as you want, on any bike you want... but yeah, the recent rain definatly helped me boost the wow factor a bit. And yes, on a number of other bikes absolutely everything on that video would have been completely un-notable.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts