Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for inexpensive options for communication between two bikes or between a passenger and myself. I've tried the Bluetooth headset I use with my cell phone and you can't hear it over about 30 mph. I have a pair of Midland GMRS radios that might work if I buy the optional motorcycle helmet headsets they sell for them.

Anyone have any experience with this set up or another option to try? I don't want to buy (translated as can't afford) a real communication system.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
I plan on picking up a pair of Sena SMH10 headsets. Their reviews are very good as is their customer service. While they are not inexpensive ($300/pair), the sound quality is outstanding.

·
Administrator
8,374 Posts
Even though it's not cheap, I have to vote for the Sena SMH10, too. It can pair with a phone in hands-free mode, an mp3 player in stereo (A2DP) mode, and with up to four other headsets, offering up to four way conferencing. The range is reputed to be on the order of a quarter mile.

Sena routinely update the firmware and have SMH10 manager software that will up load the updated firmware to the unit. I have updated mine twice in the past six months or so. The last version of firmware was kick-ass; among other things, it added a voice to tell you what's happening when you push buttons so you know exactly what the unit is doing.

They have a website with sort of a forum and have really excellent customer support through the website. They actually seem interested in what their customers' wants and needs are.

I could not be more pleased with mine. And yes, the audio is excellent.

Download the V4.0 User's Manual from their website and check it out. You may find yourself thinking it money well spent.

T

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's not so much that I wouldn't spend the money on a pair of those, but I don't need the ability to communicate so bad that it justifies that kind of purchase.

In the last month, I have spent about $700 on accesories for this bike and I'm afraid my wife would shoot me if I tried to spend another $600 on a pair of the Sena's.

·
Registered
689 Posts
By what you have already stated, you are not interested in a J &M system. Have you looked into the VOXER app. If you have a smart phone? It turns your phone into. A walkie talkie as I understand it...

·
Administrator
8,374 Posts
..my wife would shoot me if I tried to spend another $600 on a pair of the Sena's.
They are $300/pair. Still spendy, but perhaps that takes a bit of the sting out.

T

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
By what you have already stated, you are not interested in a J &M system. Have you looked into the VOXER app. If you have a smart phone? It turns your phone into. A walkie talkie as I understand it...
Nope. No smartphone here. Besides, if my phone would work, I'd use it with my headset.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They are $300/pair. Still spendy, but perhaps that takes a bit of the sting out.

T
I stand corrected. Still out of my budget but much closer. Perhaps if I wait awhile...

·
Registered
689 Posts
Nothin wrong with our established hand signals !!! Maybe even safer as they tend to be less distracting.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Make sure you only use "nice" hand signals. Don't want anyone suffering from trail rage you know!

Sent from my iPod touch using Motorcycle
Timothys687
More miles and smiles for all!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts