Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both headlight and taillight fail, have had the fuse blow, changed it and all ok for about 20 minutes, then regular intermittent failure. Have now stripped the wiring loom and reworked all the connections, checked earth connection. still no lights.:confused:

·
Administrator
3,568 Posts
Sounds like a fault to ground. Check your wire harness rubbing.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Well See my post my intresting day.. Kaw is replacing my wiring harness cause of the same issue only mine progressed to burn up the regulator and battery soon after the fuse blowing incident.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help, but.....

The info given not required, thanks though, started tracing the loom and found the fuse to be faulty, in that the glass tube, fuse link and end caps are merely slid together and not soldered....it was the fuse playing silly buggars with my common sence all the time...so as a warning, make sure your fuse is a good quality soldered type and not the glued slip together type....realy frustrating stripping the bikes loom to the bone just to find it was the 5 cent part all the while.........the joys of biking never end!!!!!!!

·
Registered
96 Posts
In the Navy electronic tech schools, they have an "Ace Breaker" lab problem for the really sharp techs. A real bugger to troubleshoot. But - I aced it. :)
The old "Shorted Fuse" problem. My old Senior Chief had already pulled that one on me before I attended that school. Bwahahaha!
Basically, the glass Buss fuse wire makes contact while cold - meters as fine. Then as it heats, it warps and opens - instant failure! But by the time the tech pulls it and tests it, it looks good again!

I converted all my KLR fuses to the plastic blade type - much more rugged!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts