Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings!

Just got back from the Kawa dealer in Columbia, where i pulled the trigger on a brand new 13'. They had a few 14's in stock as well, but the incentives for the 13' were too good to pass up (no 'New Editions though).

This is my very first bike, however, I rode dirt bikes (CR125, KDX220) when i was a kid and would go on the occasional road trip with my Pops on an Intruder 1500.

I was originally looking at a DR, but sage advice from this and other forums as well as the "seat of the pants" test swayed me to the KLR.

I plan on using the KLR as mostly a commuter, but I am very interested in seeing what kind of trails the Columbia/Florence/Manning/Camden area of SC has to offer. Oh yea, I'm also Active Duty Air Force stationed at Shaw AFB.

Looking forward to sharing the times (good and bad) with y'all!

Steve (aka spsteevoe, aka P-ROCK)

·
Lifetime Member
2,491 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum! :)
Great place with lot's of like minded people, we all love the KLR! :bike:

·
Lifetime Member
2,491 Posts
Oops! I forgot to say congrats on the new bike as well! :)
Nothing better than that new bike feeling! :doublethumb:

·
Registered
203 Posts
Welcome

I joined the site today. Same as you. I was so surprised on how like minded and welcoming everyone is.
I will be looking for your posts.
Congratulations on the new bike.
Safe travels
Jack

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just under 100 miles, first oil change done. Lots of metal shavings and blue fabric particles in the oil, filter, and filter housing. Hopefully it will be better at 500 miles, and by then I'll have the magnetic plug to install too.

Havin a blast!

·
Registered
203 Posts
new bike, new challenges

Wow, I have changed oil in planes, boats, cars, trucks, motorcycles, mowers and tractors, but never found colored cloth in oil. Metal shavings, but never material.
I do like the idea of a magnetic oil drain plug. Sort of Iron Man concept of filtering out junk and not letting it circulate through the engine.
Let me know if you find one and how much it is.
Safe travels
Jack

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Once my post count is up, I'll throw up some pics. It might be plastic, or maybe gasket shavings? I'm not too concerned, as the bike seems to be running well.

Now all I need to do is figure out why the front end squeaks when turning the handlebars...

·
Lifetime Member
2,491 Posts
Actually that debris in the filter/filter housing is pretty common... Especially on a brand new bike that's breaking in. Nothing to worry about :).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts