Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought it would interesting to hear from other IBA members.

My details

Membership number 25905
SaddleSore 1000
1000 miles in Montana in 24 hours (1047 actual miles)
5/25/2006
Suzuki DL650 K5 (VStrom)

I would be interested in hearing details from other IBA members.

- Scott

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Welcome here! I don't have a code like you do or anything like it, but I made the 1,000 + mile trip about 5 times on a 85 Honda VF700F Interceptor between Houston, Texas and Charleston, South Carolina back in the late 80's while I was in the US Navy. I did it once in 18 hours and 15 minutes back when the speed limit was just 55 MPH! Otherwise, it usually took me about 24-28 hours if I slipped in a nap or two along the way. Looking back, I feel both "proud as hell and stupid" for doing it. Age matters.

·
Registered
2022 Kawasaki KLR 650 Adventure
30 Posts
I'll play!

My details

Membership number 77838
IN-State SaddleSore 1000
1000 miles in South Carolina in 24 hours (1042 actual miles)
8/28/2020
Yamaha FJR1300

Anyone who has a backer has earned that backer! I had a guy ask me once at the MotoAmerica race in Atlanta where I purchased my plate backer! Lol. I wouldn't mind doing another on the KLR!

·
Registered
12 Posts
IBA 58361
SS1000
Colorado (Sponsored by the BMW Club)
June 21, 2014
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS

I think there was only 13 miles of interstate travel and that was because of a construction detour. Crossed the continental device seven times (I think). All manner of scenery. Beautiful.

·
Registered
2022 Kawasaki KLR 650 Adventure
30 Posts
I would like to do another in state SS ride on the KLR too. I can’t remember the vstrom tank capacity and MPG but the G3 KLR could do it on about 4 tanks of gas.
Exactly what I was thinking! Lol. The KLR has the same tank capacity (within point something) of the FJR but I did my SS with a buddy who was on a Bandit 1200 and his tank wasn't near as big so I remember we stopped well before I needed to. I just reached 250 miles on my G3 yesterday and the light just started flashing. I'm thinking it could easily reach 300 if all interstate. Just for giggles after I get it above 1000 miles (good and broke in) I may have to put it to the test and see just how far a tank takes it.

·
Premium Member
2013 KLR 650/692, 2017 HD Electraglide Ultra
1,408 Posts
I got my IBA certification about a dozen years ago. I have no idea what I did with my card and number since then. That was a ride all within Virginia at about 1036 miles, IIRC. It was an organized charity ride, we started with over 400 riders, and almost everyone made it. At that time, it was the largest IBA ride to date.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I earned my IBA number in 1999 doing a BB1500 on a 1983 BMW R100RT. These days I ride a 1981 R100RT(recent electrical fire and undergoing extended repair), 1987 GL1200A on IBA rides. Single State, in Maine mostly. So far this year I've done fall Equinox ride SS1000, Ride Around Maine SS1000 in under 22hrs, and Summer Solstice SS1000.

I traded a small sail boat for the KLR back in July. The KLR needs a ton of work and is still not on the road. The plan to do a SS1000 using the KLR next spring. It needs a few IBA specific mods e.g. install a 4gal aux tank to get my "zero range worries" up to the 300-350miles range. But I'll need to do a few range tests before plumbing in an aux. It already has a Corbin seat and larger windshield.
This should be interesting, I haven't ridden this small a motorcycle in many years and an KLR is far from optimum for these type of rides.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Old Crow, you have done a lot of serious riding. Hope you get your KLR sorted and on the road.
- Scott

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Scott, The KLR got some love today, parts arrived and it was a rainy/foggy cool day. So some good quality time with the KLR. Rebuilt the rear shock, new rear tire mounted/balanced, chain de-grimed/lubed and reinstalled and some wiring issues resolved. Closer to the road ready date!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow. That was a very productive day. I did some minor adjustments and took a 30 min ride. I am trying to figure out my rear shock settings. Hope you get the KLR road worthy soon.(y)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts