Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this 2008 KLR worth it?

Hello everyone, I have been reading a lot on the klrforum and want to join in more but first i must buy one. I looked at a craigslist add and saw a good looking KLR with the following description:

{2008 KLR 650. 12XXX miles. Runs great. Recent battery, engine guards, 20MM ammo can hard rear bags and rack, KLX needle, UNI air filter, Ricor intiminator shock valves (huge improvement in handling and bumps), custom seat, trail teck bars and risers (cut vibes and relaxes shoulders on long rides), handwarmers, windshield riser, Eagle Mike torsion spring and balancer shaft lever (doohicky), and fresh rear tire, 75 percent front. This rig is a straight battle axe}

I offered $3,600 for it, was it/is that a good price with all the mods and gear?

let me know your thoughts? Thanks

·
Administrator
3,609 Posts
Ask if it uses oil and if the doohickey has been done. I learn a lot about the owner on the doohicky question.

What was the original asking price??

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ask if it uses oil and if the doohickey has been done. I learn a lot about the owner on the doohicky question.

What was the original asking price??
The doohicky has been done with Eagle mike parts, he says the oil consumption hasn't been a problem. The original asking price was $3900. He also said he could throw in a helmet and jacket and other odds and ends.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Doesn't sound like a bad deal at all, if it hasn't been abused.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Do this first: Check out Craigslist (or www.claz.org to see CL listings nationwide) to see what KLRs are going for in a 300-mile radius.

There are some true deals out there. If you're satisfied with the price, go get it.

I can tell you that $3600 will get you a lot of bike. More than a 2008 with 12K miles.

Good luck.

·
Registered
517 Posts
It's a fair price.

·
Lifetime Member
2,486 Posts
A lot depends on location and supply and demand. As Dan was saying, check Craiglist to get a good idea of current area prices before jumping on anything. In my neck of the woods that's a very good price but I realize that prices are a lot lower on bikes in the States.

On a side note, I've noticed KLR's in my area jumping up in price with some farkled models being listed for at or above new price. Of course, that doesn't mean they're actually selling! :skeptical:

·
Registered
419 Posts
Stew makes a good point--where are you?

I can tell you that SoCal, at least the San Diego, Orange County and Low Angleles areas, has some killer deals. Even the Inland Empire has seen some 2008-2011 steals lately.

And yes, I have also seen a slight spike in the KLR's popularity and price in the past 2--4 months.

There are deals--don't feel you need to jump on the first bike you see. Keep looking and be prepared to show up quickly with cash. And then be prepared to offer 10-20% less. Haggling goes far in this economy. And even if you do pay the asking price, you'll get a nice KLR for a fair price.

Lastly, I assure you that farkles will cost you plenty. Buy a pre-farkled bike when you can.

·
Administrator
3,609 Posts
I merged the two threads so there may be some repetition. Please do not post the same question in two different areas.

·
Registered
20 Posts
it seems fair if its not abused.

i paid $3500 for my '08. the owner claimed no oil burn (which has been proven as b.s.) and had no idea about the dohickey. it did have new dirt tires (606 rear, pirelli front) and a new unmounted set of kenda street/ds tires, fork brace, H-T OSR mounts, cortech 2.0 saddle bags, H-T windscreen mount, corbin seat (with orig) and a smaller front fender to mount on the fork brace if i wanted to.

so, it did come with a few extras.

the next closest KLRs with a $3,000 to $3,500 price were all 200 or more miles away from me.
and the only owner who seemed to have a clue of what the heck he was talking about was closer to 300 miles away from me. so, i took the closest chance with a bike that was mostly garage kept.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts