Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
61 - 80 of 111 Posts

· Registered
355 Posts
The ONLY reason gas prices went down slightly over the past few months is mainly for 2 reasons. #1, demand. People are driving less. and #2, Biden has been raiding our strategic oil reserves. When he can no longer raid those reserves, ( probably right after the 1st week of November) supply will suffer and prices will begin ticking back up. Eventually, the Pentagon will tell him to pull his head out of his ass and they will be needing a full reserve to prosecute the many wars he has brewing. He will then be forced to replenish. ( at a premium cost too) Since we have not upped any production, this will pull oil from the world supply, causing an even larger shortage and even higher prices than before the diversion of oil began.
This is something you will not hear from the instep talking heads on TV. Keep buying those huge super expensive F150's, they will stay pristine parked in your garage! LOL

· Registered
2022 KLR650
98 Posts
Two of fuels biggest enemies are TIME and TEMP! The LONGER the time and the HIGHER the temp, the faster the fuel goes bad. So... if you store your bike with crappy 10% ethanol fuel in your tank, the colder the better if the storage time is going to be of any length. The higher the temp, and the longer the time, the quicker the fuel will go bad. Because of the 10% ethanol and this WILL speed this process. This ALL is FACT.

Ethanol will also absorb water. It is this combo that will often damage aluminum parts in the fuel system and engine. During storage, is when it does it's worst damage. I've seen it EAT parts of a Carburetor!

If ya run 10% that's one thing. Some have no choice. To store it with 10% in the Bike, you are taking chances. Something like Sta-bil Marine can help.

Not all fuel is coming from the pump equal! You can get gas from one station and it can be fresh where if ya let your bike sit for a few months it's no big deal. Then... there are times where you can fill up and the fuel you get will be older and it may not survive a week or two of sitting in your bike before it can cause issues. This is a sad but true fact about gas stations. Be sure you are getting your fuel from a good source.

With the KLR having a STEEL Fuel Tank, I will be storing mine with 91oct NON-Oxy (not for the octane, it's for the lack of ethanol) that has been dosed for EXTENDED STORAGE with the Sta-bil Marine. I will be full to the top being sure to keep air space to a minimum. This will ensure the tank will NOT rust and the fuel system is protected while it is stored in the DEEP FREEZE months here in the tundra.

Do NOT run E-85 or even the blends with over 10% (E-15 is common in MN)! It's VERY bad for ALL engines that were not designed for it. Engines like in our KLR's, lawn mowers, chainsaws....

KLR-Mule has a good video above. I just wanted to clarify a few things after watching and reading some posts.

Willie

Reactions: DNO and Timlang60

· Registered
'08 KLR
407 Posts
You're really missing the point. It's not about being offended. Its about respect for others on the forum that may be interested in "on topic material" and either do not share your political view or simply want a break from the sniping that has permeated our society. Saying "choose not to be offended" is along the lines of saying "I'm not going to be kind and it's your fault". If your desire is to continue political sniping it invites others to respond in kind and risks devolving the board into something else. Now, if your response to that is "bring it on because we need some political discourse" I very much doubt that anyone on either side of a given opinion are up for investing the energy to provide proof and references (along with historical context) to turn anything into true discourse. That takes true effort and in doing so demonstrates respect for the topic.
Well said.

· Registered
90 Posts
I have a few carb castings from neighbors quads and equipment that have sever damage. The biggest issue is outside storage, morning dew and tanks not topped off. There is a reason briggs switched to plastic carbs and stainless float bowls. One drop of water and 2 dissimilar metals will always have the same result.

· Registered
'08 KLR
407 Posts
I have a few carb castings from neighbors quads and equipment that have sever damage. The biggest issue is outside storage, morning dew and tanks not topped off. There is a reason briggs switched to plastic carbs and stainless float bowls. One drop of water and 2 dissimilar metals will always have the same result.
When you live in a northern climate, you learn at a young age about fuel tank levels and frost. Less fuel in the tank = more air in the tank. More air = more moisture (even at winter humidity levels). When it cools overnight, the trapped water vapor sublimates into frost on the inside tank walls. The next day as soon as you begin to drive the gas sloshes and rinses off the frost which, after it melts, becomes bulk water. Bulk water in fuel lines/filters/carb bowls plus winter temps = extremely unfun events. 😬

· Registered
253 Posts
Wow great info here and sharing of experiences. I teach scientific method, tests of hypothesis etc. People (many really smart people) have a compulsion to attribute an observation to a cause (ie global warming) I know I saw this . . . therefore this must be a cause. I have learned - mostly through KLR guys that staying away from oxygentated gas is smart. At the same time I use Sea foam all the time. I have used stabil, and wont claim that it does not help, but the cleaning done by Sea foam seems to be effective. And, I would claim it helps in the preservative category as well. But since all my gas has sea foam, and all my gas in sleds and KLR have non oxy, engines start well as a result out of storage, results seem to speak for themselves. After spending many a hot summer afternoon with tiny guitar strings of bread ties, cleanup up jets, seems I have not done that in years . . . good luck L6

· Registered
2022 KLR650
98 Posts
Wow great info here and sharing of experiences. I teach scientific method, tests of hypothesis etc. People (many really smart people) have a compulsion to attribute an observation to a cause (ie global warming) I know I saw this . . . therefore this must be a cause. I have learned - mostly through KLR guys that staying away from oxygentated gas is smart. At the same time I use Sea foam all the time. I have used stabil, and wont claim that it does not help, but the cleaning done by Sea foam seems to be effective. And, I would claim it helps in the preservative category as well. But since all my gas has sea foam, and all my gas in sleds and KLR have non oxy, engines start well as a result out of storage, results seem to speak for themselves. After spending many a hot summer afternoon with tiny guitar strings of bread ties, cleanup up jets, seems I have not done that in years . . . good luck L6
FYI - Some may not know... Sta-bil has a shelf life once the seal has been cracked open. If you buy your Sta-bil in bulk, be sure you can use it up in 1 (one) year! After that time it will not be able to provide the protection is once did. Often people have jugs of Sta-bil in their shop or garage that is a year or several old which they keep using.

Willie

Reactions: sstiing and DNO

· Registered
90 Posts
Ya I get a little crazy about dew points and warm mornings with cold equipment or cold garages. Nothing like opening a tool box and finding everything soaked from leaving the garage door open to warm things up. So I pull bikes out as quick as I can and shut the door. The bike is then parked in the sun. In the north I left my beater bikes outside not to flash the nice bikes and tools.

· Premium Member
12,048 Posts
The end results were quite surprising to me.
The 'graph' of end results (14:25 to about 14:33) on the video is severely in ERROR!
As I watched all of the displayed pulls on the dyno, all ethanol blends & pure race gasolines 87, 91, 110 & 116 made about 500 & some Torque & HP numbers.

That final graph had to be all run on the Methanol alcohol fuel with various ignition timing & fuel/air ratios! As they were all in the 700's of Torque & HP. Very Sad ending to an otherwise interesting video.

I hope that NO ONE ever tries to run a KLR on E85 or straight Methanol. Neither a KLR carb or the new EFI will be able to properly compensate for the Massive REQUIRED fuel flow of those two fuels.

· Registered
55 Posts
Well, checking MPG since switching from 91/10% eth, to 91/NO eth. Two tanks of Phillips 66 at same station so far. More checking ahead for a larger sampling, but MPG has risen from a consistent 50mpg to 54mpg. Same weather, tire pressure, and driving conditions. So there's that...

· Registered
2022 Kawasaki KLR 650 Gen 3
156 Posts
Well, checking MPG since switching from 91/10% eth, to 91/NO eth. Two tanks of Phillips 66 at same station so far. More checking ahead for a larger sampling, but MPG has risen from a consistent 50mpg to 54mpg. Same weather, tire pressure, and driving conditions. So there's that...
I'm a little jealous. No pumps in my neighborhood sell non-ethanol fuel. It's either 10% or E85. Like I posted earlier, I've never had issues with the 10% but if the non-ethanol were available I would use it in ALL of my mowers and other small engines and my old BMW. I have ran several tanks of E85 in my F150 just to see the effects. Yes it was cheaper but fuel economy was much worse. To me it's a "wash". Now for MY political views! If I could find out the SOB's who thought it was a good idea to take a food source and use it for motor vehicle fuel when fossil fuels are readily available I would give them a good "taunting!"

Regards, Jim.

· Registered
90 Posts
Basically switching to 87 from non ethanol will buy me a new bmw gs for every klr million mile at current prices. Or 10.. 8oz redbulls per ironbutt. Wow 80oz of redbull while using 87 octane for a 1000 mile klr day. Hmmm not even figuring 2 for deals.

· Premium Member
262 Posts
The future is so bright, I gotta wear shades...Timbuk3
Basically switching to 87 from non ethanol will buy me a new bmw gs for every klr million mile at current prices. Or 10.. 8oz redbulls per ironbutt. Wow 80oz of redbull while using 87 octane for a 1000 mile klr day. Hmmm not even figuring 2 for deals.

Reactions: DNO

· Registered
18 Posts
Definitely not mechanic, but my simple common sense brain. Also took me to something like that. Would think they would design engine to run on fuel Available. But just a jack of all, master of none... Yeah Brandon been cutting bottoms outta my pockets all year.... Been Empty ALOT lately!
Well,,,,, at least there's no more mean tweets,,,

61 - 80 of 111 Posts