Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
81 - 100 of 111 Posts

· Registered
74 Posts
Someone should have started another thread, "Is Non-Ethanol worth the extra $?"
Someone should have started another thread, "Is posting a question about fuel worth sifting through the political yip-yap?" God, I hope the "activist" members get tired of this site or buy a different bike and ruin non-KLR sites instead.

· Registered
2008 klr650
79 Posts
Thanks to Brandon a buck of gas today will only get you across the parking lot.

It's been north of 5 bucks a gallon for most of the year here in the People's Republic of Commiefornia.

I miss the days of mean tweets and cheap gas.
i personnally don't think of a motorcycle forum as a political activists playground.... unless you are looking for your buddies to give you that loving pat on the back..... but why no one here complains about the previous president spending a 4 trillion DEFICIT in ONE year to try and keep his golden economy rolling (and your gas prices low) shows a foolish partisan political bias.... inflation does not suddenly appear from nowhere, it takes years of mismanagement, and borrowing immense amounts of money is just one of the things that helps to get us there......

· Registered
177 Posts
Once ignited, gasoline burns at roughly the same rate. Higher octane fuel is slower to ignite, and that is what prevents knocking and pinging. With the KLR, you don't need high octane fuel unless you have modified the engine to raise compression and timing changes. Non-ethanol fuel will help keep everything clean and tighty in your engine. Where I live, non-ethanol fuel is about the same price as premium, so if I am going to spend close to $5 a gallon for fuel, it would be for the E0 gas.

Reactions: MN Willie and DNO

· Registered
2022 KLR650
1,220 Posts
i personnally don't think of a motorcycle forum as a political activists playground.... unless you are looking for your buddies to give you that loving pat on the back..... but why no one here complains about the previous president spending a 4 trillion DEFICIT in ONE year to try and keep his golden economy rolling (and your gas prices low) shows a foolish partisan political bias.... inflation does not suddenly appear from nowhere, it takes years of mismanagement, and borrowing immense amounts of money is just one of the things that helps to get us there......
I absolutely adore these responses.
I don’t think of a motorcycle forum as a political activists playground….but here’s my in-depth hypocritical opinion on it 😂.
When you watch CNN, I can see how you would come up with a response like that.

· Registered
2008 klr650
79 Posts
Just a little light hearted political satire and now I am a political activist? Wow.
yes, sorry to
I absolutely adore these responses.
I don’t think of a motorcycle forum as a political activists playground….but here’s my in-depth hypocritical opinion on it 😂.
When you watch CNN, I can see how you would come up with a response like that.
nope, no cnn for me... the federal deficit is public information.... :)

· Premium Member
KLRs: 2013, 2005, 1998; 2017 HD Electraglide Ultra
2,741 Posts
Geronimo2: this is a motorcycle forum, and like car and truck forums (on which I also participate), the topic of fuel prices is legit. After all, we are the supplicants at the altar of the Church of Internal Combustion! Opinions on why fuel prices are so high are regular in all these forums, and the vast majority of participants recognize that the current administration’s (and party’s) policies are a major cause. The other party isn’t blameless, but they are not in charge now.

Fortunately, this forum is run by tolerant and “benevolent dictators.” So, unlike in woke culture in places like California, New York, Chicago, DC, etc. a small minority doesn’t get to cancel the majority because they don’t like the opinions. You’re always free to ignore them, or better yet, engage them by offering rational counterarguments. But no ad hominem (such as comments about watching CNN).

We’re supposed to be hanging around a virtual campfire after a ride, and some good-natured ribbing goes with the experience. Give as good as you get.

· Registered
583 Posts
Not to go off topic, but I find the use of higher octanes kind of strange for the KLR. In the Rocky Mountain region we have 85 octane gas and that's what I've pretty much always used, figuring that the higher octanes wouldn't help performance or anything. Actually, I thought that was a plus for the KLR, as I didn't have to feed it premium fuel like some other bikes whose names won't be mentioned...

· Registered
90 Posts
Fuel pumps and different cams mixed with cam chains that haven't worn. Once a cam chain "stretches" retarding cam timing any fuel can be used. The 87 grade here makes crazy bottom end and also makes every pullstart motor I have kickback. 3 pages of the 2022 manual describe how to use the correct fuel and additives. Cant compare a carb to injection when a mixture screw can richen the mix to help cool the chamber. This is a 2022 gen3 thread?

· Registered
2022 KLR650
98 Posts
Not to go off topic, but I find the use of higher octanes kind of strange for the KLR. In the Rocky Mountain region we have 85 octane gas and that's what I've pretty much always used, figuring that the higher octanes wouldn't help performance or anything. Actually, I thought that was a plus for the KLR, as I didn't have to feed it premium fuel like some other bikes whose names won't be mentioned...
Most often the "choice" of the higher octane fuel is not for the higher octane but rather for the LACK of ethanol in the fuel. Ethanol has some less than ideal properties that can cause several issues the average rider can do without.

Willie

Reactions: a4twenty and DNO

· Registered
226 Posts
Geronimo2: this is a motorcycle forum, and like car and truck forums (on which I also participate), the topic of fuel prices is legit. After all, we are the supplicants at the altar of the Church of Internal Combustion! Opinions on why fuel prices are so high are regular in all these forums, and the vast majority of participants recognize that the current administration’s (and party’s) policies are a major cause. The other party isn’t blameless, but they are not in charge now.

Fortunately, this forum is run by tolerant and “benevolent dictators.” So, unlike in woke culture in places like California, New York, Chicago, DC, etc. a small minority doesn’t get to cancel the majority because they don’t like the opinions. You’re always free to ignore them, or better yet, engage them by offering rational counterarguments. But no ad hominem (such as comments about watching CNN).

We’re supposed to be hanging around a virtual campfire after a ride, and some good-natured ribbing goes with the experience. Give as good as you get.
Well said Pete.

Although I am a California boy all my life I definitely am not "woke." Thank you Jesus that you have given me a sound mind.

Cheers.

· Registered
2022 KLR650
1,220 Posts
Well said Pete.

Although I am a California boy all my life I definitely am not "woke." Thank you Jesus that you have given me a sound mind.

Cheers.
x2 :LOL:

· Registered
226 Posts
I have something to add to the octane discussion. Two days ago I headed to my local gas station to fill up. Since it was a short ride I left the ear plugs out. Sure am glad I did. As I rolled on the throttle in the higher gears I could hear some detonation (pinging) going on in my engine. So I filled up with 91 just in case. After riding some extra miles on the way home and listening for the ping, it seemed like the 91 may have fixed the problem.

Today I did a ride up in the Sierras. I did about 180 miles. On the way home I was hearing that ping again. So I was thinking I may have a vacuum leak on the carb. I set a fan in front of the radiator, started the bike and while it idled I shot some brake parts cleaner on the right side of the carb. Nothing happened. When I did this on the left side the engine died. I repeated this several times til I had the culprit in my cross hairs. The POS plastic choke/enricher unit. After doing some online searching I discovered there is a good replacement for the cheap plastic piece.

It's machined out of solid brass. Here is a link to his website. KLR650 BRASS CHOKE PLUNGER BARREL-KLRBCPB | Stead Engineering

Ya'll might want to check your bike for detonation/pinging as this can cause some significant engine damage if left uncorrected for a period of time.

Probably be next week for the part to arrive. After installation and leak testing I may try 87 octane once again.

Cheers mates.
Wood Household hardware Hardwood Circuit component Cylinder

· Registered
2022 Kawasaki KLR 650 Gen 3
156 Posts
I have something to add to the octane discussion. Two days ago I headed to my local gas station to fill up. Since it was a short ride I left the ear plugs out. Sure am glad I did. As I rolled on the throttle in the higher gears I could hear some detonation (pinging) going on in my engine. So I filled up with 91 just in case. After riding some extra miles on the way home and listening for the ping, it seemed like the 91 may have fixed the problem.

Today I did a ride up in the Sierras. I did about 180 miles. On the way home I was hearing that ping again. So I was thinking I may have a vacuum leak on the carb. I set a fan in front of the radiator, started the bike and while it idled I shot some brake parts cleaner on the right side of the carb. Nothing happened. When I did this on the left side the engine died. I repeated this several times til I had the culprit in my cross hairs. The POS plastic choke/enricher unit. After doing some online searching I discovered there is a good replacement for the cheap plastic piece.

It's machined out of solid brass. Here is a link to his website. KLR650 BRASS CHOKE PLUNGER BARREL-KLRBCPB | Stead Engineering

Ya'll might want to check your bike for detonation/pinging as this can cause some significant engine damage if left uncorrected for a period of time.

Probably be next week for the part to arrive. After installation and leak testing I may try 87 octane once again.

Cheers mates.
View attachment 37105
Well Done!

· Premium Member
KLRs: 2013, 2005, 1998; 2017 HD Electraglide Ultra
2,741 Posts
Re pinging, octane, and air leaks.

First important thing to know is that leaner mixtures will detonate more easily. This is part of the reason piston aircraft have a carb mixture control. You run the mixture full rich during takeoff and full power, then lean it for cruise. This is also part of the reason why both carbs and FI systems in vehicles enrich the mixture at full throttle (and also because a richer mixture produces more power). Thus, an air leak will lean the mixture and increase the tendency to detonate, as Hawkerjet related.

85 versus 87 octane. 85 is sold as “regular” at higher altitude locations, such as Colorado. Because the air has lower pressure and air density at altitude, there’s less absolute compression in your engine. So you can use a slightly lower octane, other things being equal.

· Registered
90 Posts
Re pinging, octane, and air leaks.

First important thing to know is that leaner mixtures will detonate more easily. This is part of the reason piston aircraft have a carb mixture control. You run the mixture full rich during takeoff and full power, then lean it for cruise. This is also part of the reason why both carbs and FI systems in vehicles enrich the mixture at full throttle (and also because a richer mixture produces more power). Thus, an air leak will lean the mixture and increase the tendency to detonate, as Hawkerjet related.

85 versus 87 octane. 85 is sold as “regular” at higher altitude locations, such as Colorado. Because the air has lower pressure and air density at altitude, there’s less absolute compression in your engine. So you can use a slightly lower octane, other things being equal.
Dont forget exhaust. My xt never glowed the header or detonated once the exhaust was opened up. Turns out other riders proved it on a dyno with an air fuel meter. The cam has alot of overlap. Stock jetting registered richer with less back pressure. The stock gen3 muffler has a cat and feels choked up a bit. So a gen3 rider might very well benefit from sunoco 94 much as I did with the xt. After opening the exhaust and adjusting the air fuel screw the bike screamed on 87. But 87 caused severe detonation for the first 4,000 miles. Also the cam chain wore in some retarding the timing. This allowed me to run a loose spec on the intake valve with the end result of way more torque than stock. And better mileage and ran great on 87.

81 - 100 of 111 Posts