Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
8,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
See this thing?

I hate it. It is a royal pain in the butt.

The pre-'96 valve covers had the upper cam chain guide built into the head.

This guide, from my '09, has over 30K miles on it. There doesn't seem to be any appreciable wear.

It doesn't seem like these things do anything more than keep the chain from flopping about.

What I'm wondering is if there is any reason not to run the pre-'96 valve cover? No idea why Kawasaki would have changed it, other than their penchant for making Rube Goldberg proud. I've never heard of any problems with the old design.

Anybody know if there ever was a problem with it?

Thanks,

·
Registered
30 Posts
When I went through my 2001 I had the same question. The old style is much more an "elegant" solution. I could see no cost savings in the production change and couldn't really conjure up a mechanical reason prompting the change. Engineers staying employed?

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
No reason that you can't. But do use the rubber slider.

As I understood it, the reason for the separate bridge chain guide was to reduce mechanical noise emanating from the old cover.
I hate dealing with the inner bolt on that bridge, I wonder how many people have dropped it down the tunnel?
I dis-like the ridges around the cam cover bolt sealing washers! WTH, why did they build that trap for the dirt around them.

I do like my early Gen 1 bike.

·
Administrator
8,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Paul,

I have a new slider in the cover.

Albert,
No, I really didn’t.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts