Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey I’m new here and wanted to ask a question. There’s a guy selling a ‘06 KLR with 29k miles on its. Stock as a clock, just a custom well done paint job. He wants $2,400. It’s in fantastic condition from what I can see. The reason I’m asking is I live two hours away and should I talk him down?
Update: Seller stopped responding so I won’t be buying from him. I deleted the photos of both bikes because the 06 is a no go after the sellers failure to actually...attempt to sell his bike and the other sold. Now looking at another KLR.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Looks like a pretty nice bike. Has a nice skid plate, crash bars, pro taper seven eights handlebars and handguards.
What part of the country are you in?

·
Registered
117 Posts
I'm also southeast-ish. I'd call it a fairly good deal.

You could ask him to come down a bit before you make the drive. It's hard to negotiate face to face when the seller knows you made a big drive ro get there. Personally, if I think something is a good deal I just pay asking... everyone leaves happy with good karma.

More or less, I paid the same for the same bike about two years ago. Drove a lot more than two hours to get it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Hey, so I posted earlier about a 2006 bike for sale. Looks mint, no idea how it runs, since it’s two hours away, and has 29k miles on it, almost 30. It’s $2.4k and It’s said to be a pretty good price. I think it’s gorgeous.

however, there has been a new arrival. A new challenger. For a whopping $3,700 this one is available. It’s a bit closer, has 3,000ish miles, has been stored all it’s life, was recently serviced and such to prep for selling and also, it’s beenLOWERED already. Which is a huge benefit because of the issue if you’ve seen my post. I’m super short so there’s that. But anyway, I was hoping to get your guys opinion. Should I consider the ‘09? Does it matter? I’m looking at reliability. The longer lasting and the parts availability if one conks Out. Clearly the 09 is a bit more worn but less mileage. Do you think the price tag is accurate? And what’s your opinion?

(Outdated. Ignore.)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm also southeast-ish. I'd call it a fairly good deal.

You could ask him to come down a bit before you make the drive. It's hard to negotiate face to face when the seller knows you made a big drive ro get there. Personally, if I think something is a good deal I just pay asking... everyone leaves happy with good karma.

More or less, I paid the same for the same bike about two years ago. Drove a lot more than two hours to get it.
So here’s the thing, this is a copy paste because my post got deleted for some reason...

Hey, so I posted earlier about a 2006 bike for sale. Looks mint, no idea how it runs, since it’s two hours away, and has 29k miles on it, almost 30. It’s $2.4k and It’s said to be a pretty good price. I think it’s gorgeous.

however, there has been a new arrival. A new challenger. For a whopping $3,700 this one is available. It’s a bit closer, has 3,000ish miles, has been stored all it’s life, was recently serviced and such to prep for selling and also, it’s beenLOWERED already. Which is a huge benefit because of the issue if you’ve seen my post. I’m super short so there’s that. But anyway, I was hoping to get your guys opinion. Should I consider the ‘09? Does it matter? I’m looking at reliability. The longer lasting and the parts availability if one conks Out. Clearly the 09 is a bit more worn but less mileage. Do you think the price tag is accurate? And what’s your opinion?

id love your opinion.

·
Premium Member
3,249 Posts
Only you know how much the extra $1,300 means to you but I prefer Gen1's and personally would avoid '08's and '09's but it really depends on you and your mission. My Gen1 vs. Gen2 post FWIW,

Basically, the Gen2 was modified to change the marketing focus towards "adventure riding" from "Dual Purpose".

Gen2 changes;
  • better brakes
  • better headlights
  • more wind protection
  • slightly larger forks
  • increased wattage for aux. gear
  • and a number of minor items like larger spokes, better chain adjusters, etc.

Early Gen2's unfortunately had some issues; bad rings, deep hole issue, deteriorating rubber bits, wiring harness rub through. Mostly resolved by 2010.

- the weight also increased (17 - 24 lbs) and suspension travel decreased (from 9.1 front and rear to 7.9 front and 7.3 rear)

- in 2014.5 the suspension received a welcome increase in both spring rates and dampening....though it is still the 1980 tech budget stuff that Kawi used on these bikes since 1987.

Other than the supension stiffness upgrade, it's basically been BNG's for the past 5 years thought there's been a clutch change (possibly not for the better) and they've changed the forged alum brake lever to a stamped steel one along the way.....cheaper I guess.

Best? well that depends..... best stock KLR? I'd give the nod to the 2014.5+ bike. Basically if your use is pavement biased and/or you intend to keep the mods to a minimum then the Gen2 will appeal to you. ....If you ride more offroad and plan on changes, then the Gen1 starts to look better for the longer travel suspension, lighter weight, more robust bodywork and the ability to run with a completely dead battery.

For me and what I do, I prefer a well modified Gen1. I purchased a 577 mile 2000 model last year and would not trade this bike for a brand new 2016 KLR.

YMMV (and probably will)

·
Premium Member
3,249 Posts
....and while that '06 looks somewhat stock, I spy; bars, handguards, crashbars, skidplate, footpegs, disk guard, fender mod, paintjob, tankbag. ......unknowns would be jetting, airbox mods, doohickey replacement. As always, take a look at the oil drain plug and case for leaks, cracks and signs of shoddy repairs as well as looking at the clean side airbox drain tube/plug and bottom of the airbox at the pipe to silencer joint.

Dave

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Only you know how much the extra $1,300 means to you but I prefer Gen1's and personally would avoid '08's and '09's but it really depends on you and your mission. My Gen1 vs. Gen2 post FWIW,

Basically, the Gen2 was modified to change the marketing focus towards "adventure riding" from "Dual Purpose".

Gen2 changes;
  • better brakes
  • better headlights
  • more wind protection
  • slightly larger forks
  • increased wattage for aux. gear
  • and a number of minor items like larger spokes, better chain adjusters, etc.
Early Gen2's unfortunately had some issues; bad rings, deep hole issue, deteriorating rubber bits, wiring harness rub through. Mostly resolved by 2010.

- the weight also increased (17 - 24 lbs) and suspension travel decreased (from 9.1 front and rear to 7.9 front and 7.3 rear)

- in 2014.5 the suspension received a welcome increase in both spring rates and dampening....though it is still the 1980 tech budget stuff that Kawi used on these bikes since 1987.

Other than the supension stiffness upgrade, it's basically been BNG's for the past 5 years thought there's been a clutch change (possibly not for the better) and they've changed the forged alum brake lever to a stamped steel one along the way.....cheaper I guess.

Best? well that depends..... best stock KLR? I'd give the nod to the 2014.5+ bike. Basically if your use is pavement biased and/or you intend to keep the mods to a minimum then the Gen2 will appeal to you. ....If you ride more offroad and plan on changes, then the Gen1 starts to look better for the longer travel suspension, lighter weight, more robust bodywork and the ability to run with a completely dead battery.

For me and what I do, I prefer a well modified Gen1. I purchased a 577 mile 2000 model last year and would not trade this bike for a brand new 2016 KLR.

YMMV (and probably will)
I had a feeling something like that wouldnt appeal to me. But the 06 has 30k miles basically and is that bad? Does it have much life left? does it matter?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
....and while that '06 looks somewhat stock, I spy; bars, handguards, crashbars, skidplate, footpegs, disk guard, fender mod, paintjob, tankbag. ......unknowns would be jetting, airbox mods, doohickey replacement. As always, take a look at the oil drain plug and case for leaks, cracks and signs of shoddy repairs as well as looking at the clean side airbox drain tube/plug and bottom of the airbox at the pipe to silencer joint.

Dave
The guy 06 told me he has to adjust the idle since it’s been sitting. Carb rejetting doesn’t spook me. However he said it wasn't modded, though I think he read me wrong through text. The additional mods are def a welcome

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Dave
You seem really knowledgeable on this bike. Can you give me some advice or even a list of things I should do, hear, feel for when looking at this bike? It would be much appreciated.

·
Administrator
3,641 Posts
So here’s the thing, this is a copy paste because my post got deleted for some reason...

id love your opinion.
The post wasn't actually deleted. It ended up needing approval. I merged it into this thread and the post appears above in order of date submitted

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh ok! I saw it was crossed out and didn’t know, so I thought it was deleted or something. No biggie! Thank you!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Read about oil burning issues in '08's and to a lesser extent in '09's. I personally would factor in about a $500 discount to cover the fix for this oil burning. I'm not saying this bike has that issue. It may not. Be well-informed of the risk.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Read about oil burning issues in '08's and to a lesser extent in '09's. I personally would factor in about a $500 discount to cover the fix for this oil burning. I'm not saying this bike has that issue. It may not. Be well-informed of the risk.
Yeah I’m not getting the 09. Seeing as it’s a early gen 2 Release, I can understand the kinks. I think I’m gonna stick with the ‘06. However, that 30k mileage...Hmm.

·
Administrator
3,641 Posts
Don’t let the mileage scare you. If it’s been cared for and maintained it has a lot of life left. I’ve got over that on my 2004 and not even thinking about selling it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Don’t let the mileage scare you. If it’s been cared for and maintained it has a lot of life left. I’ve got over that on my 2004 and not even thinking about selling it.
Thank you for the reassurance. Honestly I felt the same because bikes...well, I’d maintained, babied, and the one I want, the 06 one looks like it’s had a lot of love by the owner. Like look at all the stuff he’s put on this. He told me about how he loved to go on trails and stuff, and it gets me excited because I live 6 hours away from those smoky mountains here and we go to the mountains every year. Like, YES! Haha!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts