Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
only visible to those that are logged in and signed up? i really,really,really hate that type of forum. i want to send links to my ride reports to friends and family and have the site to be viewable without having to log in. it also gives a false representation of the true member count ie;when Glenn got banned from advrider.com the member #'s swelled from the looky lou's going to dot net for a look see.

maybe this is temporary until dot net gets sorted out?

·
Registered
425 Posts
Thanks to some truely decent individuals from another reputable (or lack there of) forum who decided it was cute in a 3rd grade way to copy and paste info from posts here and then ad lib them to meet their below average Intellectual capacity to feel like a real hero.

It is what it is, and I can't change that, leave it to the few to ruin things for the community. It would be too much if we were able to weed out the leeches on society. So we have to adapt around them.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
told a guy at the bmw shop about this place today. i forgot about the members only thing...

the hidden forum isn't working for me. i don't like my trip reports being locked up.

i've noticed alot of sketchy user names lately on the "new members" at the bottom of the page. the trouble makers are gonna make up screen names and come here to find dirt anyways.

please unlock the forum.

TIA

·
Registered
425 Posts
I think for nearly 400 members to only have one complaint so far is not bad.

It will remain a registered member site. I get a log of user IP addresses upon registration and that help sort out users who might decide to signup more than one to have a trouble making account etc. Makes my job of pointing out unwanted trouble makers and issuing bans easier, should it get to that point.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Add another complaint!!!!! Annoying as Fing hell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please unlock the damn thing. It's not stopping anyone from doing anything. Ever heard of IP proxies? A person can change their IP as easily as their underwear!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Complaint #3

I tried to pass this site on to others, get them into riding.

No Joy, they won't join something they can't view beforehand.

TW

·
Registered
425 Posts
I guess no one has bothered with this problem on the beloved other site?

No big deal, a simple registration is not to much ask to use the site. You cant please all of the people all of the time, only some of the people some of the time.

If there were enough mature users out there who would not copy and past posts from this site on others and then ad lib them for personal pleasure to feel like the keyboard tuff guy, then things would be different.

If its KLR info and a decent site people want, registration should be the last of their worries.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
klr650 said:
I guess no one has bothered with this problem on the beloved other site?
the other site played these same games and it drove me to post trip reports to other sites. sticking to this format will be this sites undoing as well,good luck.

if a person is sooo sensitive that some loser stealing their words and poking fun at them is the end of the world,maybe they should sign off the internet and hide under the bed.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Double edge sword.

If registering to a member based site is a problem, then why even have one in the beginning.

Like I have said before, the registration process is vital to helping keep the board clean, information is logged that allows the identification of multiple usernames etc in the case that someone come in with intentions of causeing trouble.

I have never had a problem registering for board I am interested in, its part of what makes a forum a forum.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hey,
I really like this site and what you've done with it, so keep that in mind when I say what I say.

A lot of us, myself included, lurk for a long time before deciding if we want to join a site or not. You want to see the character of the people and the interaction of the folks before you do that. I do not join sites if they ask me to register before I can see them. One of the advantages to that, in addition to being open to folks, is that when they join you know they want to be here. This place is going to stand or fall on the folks here, not what some other less that respectable people do with dirty tricks.

Another really important role these types of sites play, and KLR sites in particular, is that it is a place that people we don't even know can come and get bike info, technical info, farkel info and repair info quickly and easily. You know, to me so what if they don't register. I didn't register on the old site but what was said there had a lot to do with me deciding to get a KLR instead of a DR. These are folks we wouldn't hesitate to help if we saw them on the road and locking the site to non-members is pre-emptively doing that on the web. I've been in many different biking communities, but the KLR community seems to be the most open of all of them. keeping the site hidden seems to go against a lot of what makes this bike and its resulting community what they are.
D

·
Registered
53 Posts
tp_cracker said:
It's definately killing the forum, the other new KLR forum has double the people logged in and has caught up with members also.
Well, I see it more as a choice than a competition, but still - keeping it hidden certainly does seem to do more harm than good.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Definitely need to do the unlock---Mike and I will always be traveling on our KLR's and the trip reports are something both our families and sons in the navy enjoy reading and keeps us from having to send to them all individually. My parents aren't the type to join something just to read them nor are his. As far as what the guy did on the other site --there is nothing here to keep him or anyone else from doing it again , is there? as long as they register under some other name. Good grief --don't let them know they are that important!. JMHO--Kay

·
Registered
425 Posts
Its been unlocked as much as possible for unregistered "guests"

If there is anything more guests would like to see they are just going to have to register.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts