Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to buy or rent rotor wrench and puller. I just bought an 09, and I'm was told it had the upgrade, but I want to make sure.Thank you!

·
Administrator
3,568 Posts
Location info would help your casue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rhinelander Wisconsin. The great northwoods. I'll pay for shipping from wherever. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
If you just want to check for the presence of a new doohickey, you don't need the special tools (rotor holder wrench and threaded puller bolt). Just take a sharp photo of the portion of the doo that can be seen below the rotor and post it here. 50 different people can tell you if it is new or not.

You might need a new gasket which would be cheapest to order in from a local dealer rather than pay freight for an online order of one item.

Keep in mind that shipping is a good part of the expense. If you find you need a new doohickey, you will have to order and ship the doo, the spring and rotor bolt. So, you might as well get the puller in the same shipment. You can also include the rotor holder in the shipment or make one. I heated and bent a 32mm wrench from Harbor freight for $8. It would cost more than that just to ship it one way from here to there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the good advice! I'll order a gasket set before I tackle the covers. I wasn't sure if I could see the spring without removing the rotor. The how to video's didn't show that part clearly.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have a set of tools. I'm in Spring Grove, IL, about 4.5 hours from Rhinelander. I'm looking for a ride to do on Saturday. I could be convinced fairly easily to do the trip up there, although likely on the Harley not the KLR, to drop off the tools. It might make for a nice Saturday ride.

·
Administrator
8,369 Posts
Thanks for the good advice! I'll order a gasket set before I tackle the covers. I wasn't sure if I could see the spring without removing the rotor. The how to video's didn't show that part clearly.
There's this nasally wingnut who drones on and on and sounds like Bob Ross who has some videos on YouTube.

He has a series of four videos on doing the doohickey. Video #3, starting at about 1:15, goes into exceptionally boring detail on the difference between a stock doohickey and an aftermarket one. You can watch that video, but it will make you want to put pins in your eyes and ya gotta provide your own pins.

Video #4, at 7:30, shows you what you're looking for:

He's too inept to have mentioned that you can turn the big gear clockwise to expose where the torsion spring would hook in...

Tom

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
tjduexjr- I appreciate the offer, but I'd like to pull my covers off and check before wasting your time on a 5 hr ride, then find out it was for nothing!

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Cheezy. In the second video above at 7:45 there is a shot of the doohicky in place behind the rotor and starter gear teeth. From that position you can loosen the doo adjustment bolt and push/rotate the doo to the right so the left end is more visible between the gear teeth. Then you should be able to the the hook on the end of the torsion spring is one is installed.

By the way, if you are on long trip and discover the stock spring has simply lost its tension, you can lay the bike 45 degrees to the right to keep from loosing oil, pull the side cover, push the doo to the left to tighten the chain, re snug the adjuster bolt and bolt the cover back on. This does the same thing as the spring powered adjustment. It will get you another 5,000 miles or so down the road on your trip.

I have done this twice. Once leaning the bike on a pump at an abandoned gas station. The second time takes about 30 minutes. This is one reason that I always put waterproof grease on both case surfaces before installing the gasket. The grease keeps the gasket from sticking and tearing and fills small scratches in the surfaces. It works on water pump gaskets also.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Gomotor! I just got the bike with 35,000 on it. I'm trying to put off major maintenance until this winter. I plan on 3,000 mi or so before the snow falls. Although, I'm enjoying this bike so much, I may have to do some service on a rainy day. The miles keep piling on.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts