Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just breaking in a new 2010 KLR 650 fresh built from the warehouse. On my first ride the other day I was finding that a slight unintentional touch of the shift lever while in second (decelerating and clutch NOT engaged) the trans pops into neutral - should this be happening when rolling? or should I get the mechs to look at it?

I am a new rider by the way but when I trained on a smaller honda the instructor mentioned it was very difficult get the bike in neutral while rolling/running.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Clutch NOT engaged - meaning that you have pulled in the clutch lever to disengage the clutch, right?

Really should not be hard to tap down from second into neutral that way.

Cover the hand levers as you are learning to ride, don't cover the shifter - keep your foot away from the shifter unless you intend to use it....

I have never heard, or personally experienced, difficulty in finding neutral with any motorcycle, running or rolling.

What you are really wanting to be on the alert for is finding neutral when upshifting to second gear on hard acceleration. Then you will find it very difficult to get shifted into second gear, unless you roll off the throttle and upshift without using the clutch at all. This is information gleaned from riding 4 different Gen 1 KLRs over the years.... not sure if that issue has been totally resolved for 2nd generations, but I am not the only one to observe this situation on 1st generations.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry - I meant that this happens when I have NOT pulled in the clutch lever - so the clutch is still engaged when this happens. For example, I downshift into 2nd to enter a tighter/gravelly corner at slower speed, both hands on the grips and I guess my left foot every so lightly touches the shift lever and I don't take note of it until I decide accelerate out gradually but then notice that I'm revving in neutral.

But you're right, my left foot should not be near the shifter if I'm not deciding to shift. I was just curious if this is supposed to happen when the clutch lever is not pulled in?

·
Registered
30 Posts
When you're not shifting, your foot should not cover the brake or the shift lever. The ball of your foot (the part you stand on when you're on your tip toes) should be on the footpeg.

What is the oil level at? Maybe you're low on oil... make sure it's about even with the top of the sight glass when the bike is sitting level.

·
Registered
146 Posts
It would still be fairly easy to tap the transmission out of second even with the clutch engaged when rolling off of the throttle. If one does not make a firm and positive upshift, it is also possable that the gear has not been fully dogged in, and it'll slip out very easily on decel - some have reported issues of this nature and found that the shift lever has been dragging slightly on the side case cover, which will leave tell-tale scrape marks in the paint on the case cover.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
This question isn't related but close.
Do most 2nd Gen bikes click pretty loud when going from N to 1st the first time of the day? Doesn't seem as bad later on when it's fully warmed up. It's seems normal to me for the bike. My DR650 and another 750cc bike did it. My DRZ didn't do it at all; it was buttery smooth.
Just curious.

·
Registered
272 Posts
This question isn't related but close.
Do most 2nd Gen bikes click pretty loud when going from N to 1st the first time of the day? Doesn't seem as bad later on when it's fully warmed up. It's seems normal to me for the bike. My DR650 and another 750cc bike did it. My DRZ didn't do it at all; it was buttery smooth.
Just curious.
Absolutely normal, due to the clutch plates sticking together
Overbite.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just breaking in a new 2010 KLR 650 fresh built from the warehouse. On my first ride the other day I was finding that a slight unintentional touch of the shift lever while in second (decelerating and clutch NOT engaged) the trans pops into neutral - should this be happening when rolling? or should I get the mechs to look at it?

I am a new rider by the way but when I trained on a smaller honda the instructor mentioned it was very difficult get the bike in neutral while rolling/running.
Just got my new KLR about a month ago. Isnt it great!

Welcome: Finally, someone who joined AFTER me....

:28:

·
Registered
7 Posts
First off, since I'm new, let me say hi! Back to business. I have owned 6 different bikes long term, and the ease of hitting neutral on all of them was different. Some you had to catch on a roll, some would go in sitting still, and some if not rolling had to be shut off. You can shift without using the clutch, not good for the bike but not mechanically impossible. The rpm and speed at the time will make it eaiser or harder. However it happened, if It's under warranty take it in and tell them you were riding along and it dropped from second to neutral on its own, other wise they will disreguard it as your fault. Have it documented now in case it fails later. Some places will dispute any warranty work to the death, no matter what.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
oh yeah - so much fun:) Just combing the forums know to figure out the best way to mount some side-case pelican boxes - need to find a rack first

·
Administrator
8,364 Posts
First off, since I'm new, let me say hi! ...
BK650KLR -

Welcome to the forum! Good to have you here and hope you enjoy it.

T

1 - 14 of 14 Posts