Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those that know me, it is time Oregon Health & Science University call me about 20 minutes ago. They have a Kidney for me and I will have my transplant some time tomorrow.

More later.

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
That is great, we hope all goes well. Where in Oregon are you?

·
Registered
990 Posts
You'll be in our prayers, Craig!!! I'm sooo happy for you that this day has finally come!!!

Please don't be shy about asking for help. Joe and I can come up and stack firewood/shovel snow or whatever you might need help with.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Larryboy,
Thanks for the offer, it means a lot.
I finished getting my place ready for winter about three weeks ago, just in the nic of time.
So far I have been on the run since arriving right before 1:00 AM.
It is for sure a go, OHSU said it is a really good match.

Well have to go, people to see and things to do. Or is that people to see me and things they want to do to me.

later

·
Registered
207 Posts
Good luck Craig.
I hope it works out well for you.
John

·
Registered
650 Posts
whoo!

excellent news Craigs!!!
the cavalry is ready if you need us... :16a:

·
Registered
308 Posts
Awesome. I was just at OHSU last week with my dad (good outcome.) There are some nice folks there. But stay away from the seafood pasta!

Jamie

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the prayer and good wishes.

If I ramble on or don't make since, sorry I am on a lot of drugs.
Surgery went well and I am on the road to recovery :58:
I went in surgery at 12:30 then back to my room at 7:30. When I woke up I was in excruciating-excruciating pain. It took another hour and half to get it under control. By then to docs were concerned that I had too much pain killers on board. Every time I fell asleep I would stop breathing and would be woken up, then start breathing again. This lasted several hours before the medicine worked out of my system. After I clearing these hurdles things started to improve. Needless to say my wife was worried and spent the night in my room.
The best thing that happened this morning was a phone call from our oldest boy. He is stationed in Iraq, so the call was short but it was good to hear his voice. My wife and I both started crying. Shortly after that our youngest and his girlfriend showed up and spent some time with us.
Today I am still in quite a bit of pain; I am using an IV pump for pain killers that I control. So I just dose off and on. It is hard sometimes to carry on an intelligent conversation.
The incision sight is about a foot long and matches the other one that I had 20-years ago. I hope that I do as well with this transplant as I did with my first one. Most cadaver donor Kidney transplants last on average 9 to 10 years.
I was supposed to get up and walk around several times today, that did not happen. When I tried to stand, my left leg would not support my weight. I have no feeling in the upper part of my left leg. I can move my ankle and toes, I can also while in bed pull my leg up but have no thigh muscles. This freaked me out. Tomorrow I will be seen by a doc and start working with a Physical Thearpyist.
I will try and post some pics tomorrow along with any updates.

Talk to everyone later

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Daddyjoe,
I live in Klamath Falls, OR OHSU is in Portland OR. 275 miles away.

thanks

·
Registered
990 Posts
Craig, do they have you locked up? Or can you take visitors? I'm going to be in the area Sunday afternoon and passing back south on Monday.

If I can shoot the passes of course.

:28:

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Larryboy,

What brings you to the area? It rained off and on yesterday.
Yes I can have company and any company would be great as long as you are at least 14-years old;).
Also remember that it is :character00110: season up hear.

Hospital address is:
OHSU
3181 S.W. Sam Jackson Park Rd.
Portland, OR 97239

I am in Unit 4A
Room 32
Phone is 503 418 4931

·
Registered
990 Posts
Ok, I'll stop by for a few. I'll be on my best behavior and will attempt to act at least 14. I might be dripping water.

:character00271:

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
I don't know where places are out here on the left coast, I did see you lived in Klamath Falls, and we were just west of Medford.
I'm glad everything is going good, those transplants are something else.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My new Kidney is working GREAT.
My wife took my picture this morning

Just got back into bed a few minutes ago from a walk. Felt good but now I am beat.

Talk to you all later

·
Registered
3 Posts
Craig, sounds like you're walking again, huh? Thats' great. Gonna try to get up there to visit you next weekend. Do you want me to bring up my little XL250R Honda for you to practice on?:16a: Or maybe it's a little early yet. It's a little lighter and lower than our KLRs. Anyway, glad you're recovering rapidly.....Dan

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am getting up and walking the halls, had a nurse take my pic this afternoon.

I am on a clear liquid diet, hope to be on solid food soon. I also hope to check out of the hospital by Wednesday, Thursday at the latest.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Guess who showed up last night

Crazy fool.
Said he was out for a quick ride to Seattle, yeh. Any way it was so nice to see him and thought full of him to make the trip. Larryboy, thank you. It meant a lot to me having you show up, thanks
It has been a good day, lot going on. Even more tomorrow. Pee drain comes out yes:) meat with Physical Therapist, Diet aids, bla bla bla.
Life is good, life is grand

Later

·
Registered
95 Posts
get well soon , look forward to meetin ya sometime in the near future, we are to close not to, keep up the good fight...

1 - 20 of 54 Posts