Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/motorcycle_helmet_review/index.html

The Snell standard requires helmets to be able to withstand two hard impacts to the same spot. That means the helmet material has to be stiffer, which results in greater force being transferred to the head with each single impact. Personally, I would rather have a softer helmet that takes one impact well. Based on this article, I'm tentatively thinking of steering clear of Snell-approved helmets.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I had a argument with somebody about this exact issue and it got pretty heated for a couple posts. I posted that exact article as well. He was basically saying DOT was shit and get Snell. Yeah right!

In a recent Superbikes episode, they spoke with ICON who says they can make helmets so strong they would never compress, but that's never a good idea. I think Snell got ahead of their own research back in the day and just started pushing idea that harder is better and people just believed them for some reason. After the research caught up they were like "oops".

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is definitely the most helpful article I've yet read in my search for a helmet. It's nice to know a really cheap helmet can offer the same protection as an expensive one. If it turns out I need to spend hundreds of dollars to get a helmet that feels comfortable, I'll do it, but if I find a DOT-approved one for $50 that feels right, I'm buying it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts