Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, i was letting my bike idle in order to run some carb cleaner through it. So I left for at least five min and returned to find it still running but dripping coolant from the tail end and the temp redlining. I know I've blown the head gasket but has anybody been through this before? Like to share your advice

·
Administrator
3,568 Posts
First thing you have to do is determine why it overheated in the first place. Thermostat, water pump, rad fan, coolant level......
What year of bike is it?

Lastly welcome to the forum. Wish your intro was in a different situation.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a 2007. Well theres no way find out what caused it to overheat NOW til we get her running. But I do know the fan was running...

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
It's a 2007. Well theres no way find out what caused it to overheat NOW til we get her running. But I do know the fan was running...

Sitting at idle for "at least 5 minutes" is what caused it to overheat, needs air moving over the radiator to keep it cool. Was the header pipe red hot?

Are you sure the head gasket is blown? Is there oil in the radiator overflow? Water in the oil? Fill up the coolant and take it for a ride you'll know pretty quick, it will blow white smoke and overheat if the head gasket is bad.

·
Registered
9 Posts
So you know that the fan is working, I would check the coolant level both in the radiator and in the overflow tank. It that looks OK, take off the water pump cover and check to make sure the impeller is attached to the shaft. If it's loose and the little 10mm nut needs to be tightened make sure to check and follow the torque specs. I broke that impeller shaft when I ignored that advice and torqued to much and the end snapped off. I can still feel that snapping off two years later.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts