Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,481 Posts
That's a cool video, Spec.

What I don't get is torpedos. I saw a cutaway version of a German U-Boat torpedo at a museum in Chicago and it's just a tube packed completely full of propulsion equipment and explosives. It has no "fins" or "wings" to make it "fly" through the water and there's no way there's enough space/air in it to displace enough water to make it "float."

I don't see how the things don't just sink as soon as they're ejected from a ship or submarine, no matter how much thrust they have.

Edit: Apparently the thrust and small fins are enough to keep it going: lose the thrust and it sinks.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's a cool video, Spec.

What I don't get is torpedos. I saw a cutaway version of a German U-Boat torpedo at a museum in Chicago and it's just a tube packed completely full of propulsion equipment and explosives. It has no "fins" or "wings" to make it "fly" through the water and there's no way there's enough space/air in it to displace enough water to make it "float."

I don't see how the things don't just sink as soon as they're ejected from a ship or submarine, no matter how much thrust they have.

Edit: Apparently the thrust and small fins are enough to keep it going: lose the thrust and it sinks.
That's a good question and I learned some stuff...

The gyro package maintains the attitude with a rudder.

http://www.herebeanswers.com/2012/01/who-invented-torpedo-and-how-does-it.html

A torpedo isn't designed to hit a target but rather create a shockwave under the target!

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/navy/docs/es310/uw_wpns/uw_wpns.htm

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
That is a cool WWII era video. America was a different Nation back then. we had values and cohesiveness. Every man wore his pants above his ass and complete with belt. The only drawback was the absence of the KLR.

Thanks for posting that.

Snakeboy66

1 - 6 of 6 Posts