Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
2022 KLR650
1,413 Posts
I don’t remember the last time I weighed 130 :ROFLMAO:
The OEM suspension will work just fine for you.

· Registered
2022 Kawasaki KLR 650 Gen 3
212 Posts
With gear on, im probably 130 pounds (Asking questions before i go ahead and buy a klr)
Whatcha plannin' on doing with your KLR? Commute? Run errands? Exploring dirt/gravel roads? Off road trail riding jumping logs and such? The guy in the below video seems to be about 150ish.

You won't do this with YOUR KLR - YouTube

Let us know if you get one!

Regards, Jim.

· Registered
09 with a few cheap mods
21 Posts
The KLR isn't a 'dirtbike'. It's a highway bike that is comfortable on gravel and unimproved roads.
I'm 150lbs, and 5'6. I was initially disappointed at the off-road performance of my KLR, but I don't have to stop where the pavement ends.
My KLR is more comfortable at 90mph on the interstate, than 10mph on a rough trail. The main problem I've had is getting traction climbing hills.

· Registered
112 Posts
The KLR isn't a 'dirtbike'. It's a highway bike that is comfortable on gravel and unimproved roads.
I'm 150lbs, and 5'6. I was initially disappointed at the off-road performance of my KLR, but I don't have to stop where the pavement ends.
My KLR is more comfortable at 90mph on the interstate, than 10mph on a rough trail. The main problem I've had is getting traction climbing hills.
Maybe with a 17t sprocket. I'm more comfortable at 10 mph on rough trail than 60+ on the highway. Now I'm 250 lbs dressed out so I definitely needed to upgrade springs all around. When loaded for trip with 50+ additional pounds, I click pre load up 2 from zero. No not a dirt bike especially at 500 lbs loaded, it will do BDRs
Man at 90 mph you must be at redline

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Whatcha plannin' on doing with your KLR? Commute? Run errands? Exploring dirt/gravel roads? Off road trail riding jumping logs and such? The guy in the below video seems to be about 150ish.

Regards, Jim.
most ill be doing is probably going onto a motocross track to ride the berms but no actual racing or big jumps

· Premium Member
12,573 Posts

Regards, Jim.
One needs to know "when to say enough is Enough"!

A stock & standard KLR650 should serve you quite well 'vyquad'. Mine is 'mostly stock' even after 35+ years of riding it.

· Registered
362 Posts
Everyone is different. Size, tastes, risk tolerance... everything.

I'm 210, and like my OEM suspension just fine as it is, even after 13 years and 40,000 miles. Correction: I did change to a heavier rear spring a few years back.

I'm very comfortable on a forest road at 10-40 mph, even carrying all my camping gear. There's no way I'd ride a KLR, or any bike for that matter, at 90mph...not for very long anyhow. I suspect the only way my KLR would do 90 is if you pushed it out if an airplane.

If you are 130, you should be completely fine on any KLR, any generation...

But as I said, everyone is different.

· Registered
2022 Kawasaki KLR 650 Gen 3
212 Posts
Once upon a time, everything revolved around one guy, and that guy was 170 pounds and 5 feet 9 inches. Airline seats, car seats, construction equipment, etc. I think in the late '90s they upped it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts