Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Santa dressed up as a Fed Ex dude just left me a present...LOL

It will be Sunday night before we get started on it, but thought I would pass along some pics and thoughts.

The Box

Everything was packed nicely and neatly.

I even got a KLR650.com Key ring.

The Quiet Insert, I am curious to see how well this works, have heard reports it doesn't do a whole lot.

Also in line with another report in here..the Airfilter is absolutely soaked in oil. I am going to have to buy a kit and clean it and then re-oil it correctly.

The Stage 1 and Stage 2 Jet kit, nice lil storage box to help keep factory stuff in.

And finally the contents of the box, the Can itself and the mounting hardware.

The Muffler looks very well made and not cheaply assembled. The screws on either end are Allen head screws made to be easily removed for repacking I assume if needed, at least they aren't rivets :) . The connecting pipe is stainless. It feels like the whole box with everything in it is still HALF the weight of the OEM pipe.

More to come once I get it all assembled.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Looks like real quality hardware. I'll look forward to hearing how your bike runs after the upgrade. Is that a jet kit in the small plastic case?

I'd also love to hear if it affects the gas mileage when all is said and done.

Good luck - I'll bet it sounds great!

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes that is the kit in the plastic container. From what I have heard from several people with exhaust and breather upgrades, you will see a good increase in midrange torque but a lil bit of loss on the top end, and a 2 - 4 mpg loss, but for the improved performance and a bike already getting 50+ MPG I can live with all the negatives. Will keep everyone posted.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They look to be about 3/8 inch... You might be able to drill yours out, I am assuming the piece is aluminum. That is the same size holes I drilled into my factory pipe to keep the dreaded tweety out of mine and so far it has worked great.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Finally had a chance to go and install the exhaust, air filter and jet kit today. The pipe was a breeze to install, very easy and straight forward.

Pipe installed:

First shot of pipe installed without insert.

The insert is also quite easy to install. You are required to drill a whole in the end piece to accept the retaining screw to hold the insert in. A rubber mallet was all that was needed to persuade the O-ring into place.

Next the Air filter was installed.

Then we proceeded to remove the seat and tank to gain easier access to the Carb. I do not have any pictures of this procedure. I just plain forgot to get some. But with everything out of the way and loosened up, we took the float bowl off and removed the factory Jet. It's size was a 148. The Jet kit suggested using the stage 2 jet which was a 150 if the exhaust and open element filter are used together. Then it says to open the idle fuel mixture screw out 3 1/2 turns. Since my bike had been running a lil rich to begin with I only opened the screw 3 turns. I did not install the adjustable needle or do the drilling suggested in the instructions. I thought I would see how the bike ran with this setup first and then if needed I could install the needle and washers. The bike fired right up easily with no backfiring. We rode it without the insert first. It has a very STRONG BARK to the sound. I personally loved it, but some people might not like it. The seat of the pants feel told me there was a definate increase in torque and power, and the RPM response was much quicker off the throttle. My buddy was easily able to lift the front tire WAY up in the air without clutching in first gear, just simply rolling on the throttle hard and easily pulling back on the bars. We then proceeded to install the quiet insert. There is a definate difference in sound output, but it is by no means quiet as the stock exhaust. It still has a great sound, just not as loud as without the insert. We left the insert in. I am going to ride the bike in this configuration for awhile and see what the plug looks like. Overall, I am extremely pleased with the pipe, the quality, the ease of installation and the seat of the pants improvement in performance. I personally will recommend this pipe to anyone looking for a good quality exhaust, that will do more than just look pretty. I hope this helps anyone looking into purchasing an exhaust. Feel free to ask any questions, I'll do my best to answer them. Thanks for putting up with my rambling and personal opinions on this project.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did you notice any kind of whistley tweet sound with the quiet insert in?
Did your directions say which side of the quiet insert faces out, tapered or flat?
There was no tweety once the insert was in all the way. The directions stated the flat side went into the exhaust with the concave side out.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I am glad to hear you love your new pipe. I had a jardine on order and after waiting 3 weeks and getting impatient on it bein on backorder I got a refund and bought the WB E2. I love it but it was quite a bit more then what I wanted to spend. I need to get the air filter soon. Did the key chain come with the order or did you buy it separate? I definately want one of those!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I did the same upgrade and had a few differences in experiences. I did the exhaust without the quiet insert first, and noticed a HUGE difference immediately.

I then did the jets, and did the full set of suggestions (drilling and new needle). I did the stage 1..not the more agressive stage two.

At this point I started to experience a bit of backfiring. Assuming maybe a bit rich, so planned to turn-in idle mixture adjustment 1/2 turn....but more suprising, VERY LITTLE change in performance from what was gained from the Exhaust alone. Now thinking about going to the more agressive stage 2 on the jets.

I hate Oil soaked filters, but since I was having a bit of backfiring, thought I would give it a try. Ran like shit!! Maybe to much oil....but regardless, I quickly pulled it out.

I then decided to order the quiet insert since I did not really like the idea of waking up all of Central America on my trip (but I love the sound!!)

Installing the quiet insert, it started making the chirping/tweet sound SLO-KLR mentioned. I looked at the diagram quite closely, and it was clear to place the flat (not the dished) site towards the back. Drove me nuts. Maybe I will try it the other way. Or I had considered drilling and taping another screw incase it was not solid in the opening.

Took out the insert today and I was suprised how much it had cut back on the power, and I really had not noticed it.

Anyway....overall very happy and Central America will just have to put up with me! :)

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I did the same upgrade and had a few differences in experiences. I did the exhaust without the quiet insert first, and noticed a HUGE difference immediately.

I then did the jets, and did the full set of suggestions (drilling and new needle). I did the stage 1..not the more agressive stage two.

At this point I started to experience a bit of backfiring. Assuming maybe a bit rich, so planned to turn-in idle mixture adjustment 1/2 turn....but more suprising, VERY LITTLE change in performance from what was gained from the Exhaust alone. Now thinking about going to the more agressive stage 2 on the jets.

I hate Oil soaked filters, but since I was having a bit of backfiring, thought I would give it a try. Ran like shit!! Maybe to much oil....but regardless, I quickly pulled it out.

I then decided to order the quiet insert since I did not really like the idea of waking up all of Central America on my trip (but I love the sound!!)

Installing the quiet insert, it started making the chirping/tweet sound SLO-KLR mentioned. I looked at the diagram quite closely, and it was clear to place the flat (not the dished) site towards the back. Drove me nuts. Maybe I will try it the other way. Or I had considered drilling and taping another screw incase it was not solid in the opening.

Took out the insert today and I was suprised how much it had cut back on the power, and I really had not noticed it.

Anyway....overall very happy and Central America will just have to put up with me! :)
I've tried the insert both ways and it tweets either way. I'm going to drill it to look like DXKLR's.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update

OK today, was a gorgeous day, 65+ degrees but slightly windy. Excellent day to shake down the exhaust and all the winter maintenance that we did to the bikes. Took a 85 mile loop on the back roads. The bike ran great, with no backfiring or surging or missing. The pull of the torque thru the curves was much greater and the throttle response also greatly improved.

First stop of the day:

An old Rock foundation bridge constructed of metal and wood planking for the surface.

Immediately after getting back to the house we pulled the plug. Alas it was greyish white, "LEAN"! Going to the dealer tomorrow to pick up a 152 and a 153 main jet. This will give a four and or five size increase over stock. I called Jardine's tech number and this was the suggestion for the condition I am having. The open air filter will be changed back to stock also. Short of this condition, the bike ran awesome. More to come as I get the jet changed and will keep posts on the improvements of the plug.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts