Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if any of you fellas have the JC Whitney trunk but I use mine daily. I have no complaints to speak of and consider it to be a pretty good value for the price. (Just make sure you put some silicone or Goop on the hinge pins or they will vibrate out - and a 16 penny sinker framing nail makes a nice replacement).

I do however, remeber seeing a few posts on the other site about the mounting bracket failing. I don't even want to imagine the kind of problems that could cause. Anyway, my wife hands me a box from JCW when I got home this evening and wants to know what else I've bought. Honest, HONEY....I didn't buy anything!!! (from JC Whitney) :twisted:

So I opened the box and, low and behold, they have sent me a free replacement for the apparently weak molded plastic mounting bracket and included a $10.00 coupon toward my next purchase. (I'm guessing there might be some litigation pending somewhere???) The new bracket is all steel and looks to be a vast improvement. Still comes with that same high quality mounting hardware though. :lol:

Here's few pics for those in need of a replacement bracket or considering adding a trunk.
The trunk:

The old bracket:

The new Bracket:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Nice - I just got a shipping email from the the other day, saying I was getting a new braket as well. I sold my KLR (with the JCW box on it), so I am going to forward the new plate to him.

I went ahead and spent the extra $80 and got a Givi E450 for my Strom. I like it alot....

Joe

·
Registered
93 Posts
Did you guys send the broken plates back to JCW? I guess that I'm asking how they knew to send you replacement mounting plates. I have two JCW boxes. Neither plate has failed, but I'd like the extra surety of the metal plate.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have not gotten mine yet. I'm guessing it will be here today. I would imagine they looked over there orders and then shipped them out.

I would call them and ask. Did you get the large trunk too?

Joe

·
Registered
18 Posts
My plate failed after the 90 day warrentee. I just figured I was too hard on it. Not that I'm hard on my bike, at least not as hard as SgtMarty. They just sent me a replacement plate. Its very nice. I called JCWhitney to tell them my trunk broke when my plate failed. They said they would replace it one time out of warrentee. I just need to mail it to them with a note. Thats pretty cool. I just need to come up with a box to send it in.

·
Registered
93 Posts
My first JCW truck is a couple years old and never had a problem with the mount. The second box is new, haven't mounted it to my wife's bike yet. Both are the smaller boxes.

·
Registered
27 Posts
SgtMarty said:
Did you guys send the broken plates back to JCW? I guess that I'm asking how they knew to send you replacement mounting plates. I have two JCW boxes. Neither plate has failed, but I'd like the extra surety of the metal plate.
I received the replacement today, and I didn't send anything to JCW...last time I talked to them was to order the box back in April. Looks like they're doing it proactively, based on their invoices. Like DBLTRBLPAPA, I have the medium-sized "Givi-clone" trunk. i wonder if the replacement plates are only for those models?

Dave C

1 - 8 of 8 Posts