Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay... I need a trick for gauging fuel levels.

Sent from my groovy Samsung Galaxy S 1 smarty pants Fone ringy thingy dingy.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've got that down... 49mpg x 6 gal. I meant besides looking in the tank... Any other clever techniques?

·
Premium Member
5,474 Posts
All you can do is start with a full tank and then use your odometer to judge how much you have left. I've learned to fill mine back up when I hit about 180 miles. Some people achieve greater ranges than that.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup that works... It's roughly two weeks of my commute. Thanks!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Btw... Thanks for your patience with this old man.

·
Premium Member
5,474 Posts
If you're so inclined, it's a good idea while riding to accustom yourself to reaching down and switching over to reserve without thinking about it. It's better to have a momentary lull and switch over and keep going than to have to pull over and fiddle with it and get the thing started again.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not sure how that works. How many gallons are in the normal tank and how many in the reserve. Is it like an old vw in that regard?

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Reserves differ. I fill up at 190 miles.

Never had a problem. But good call, practice switching to reserve while you're riding. You want your hand to go to the right spot. And if you really, really run out of gas you can lay the bike over on it's side and get a little more.

·
Premium Member
5,474 Posts
I'm not sure how that works. How many gallons are in the normal tank and how many in the reserve. Is it like an old vw in that regard?

I'm not sure of the amount of usable gas in the tank and reserve. I have read that if you run your reserve dry, if you tip the bike way over to the left, more will flow into the reserve.

Before recently, I had never run out of gas (hit reserve that is, not run completely out) on a motorcycle, but I've had to hit reserve twice in the last couple of months mostly due to inattentiveness. Good thing, actually, because I now pretty much know how far I can go with a full tank before it runs out.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Sketchman, mine has been pretty consistent when hitting reserve. If I fill up immediately upon going on reserve the tank holds 4.8 gallons. If the tank holds 6.1 gallons that leaves a 1.3 gallon reserve. I have heard the tank only has a 5.8 gallon "useable" capacity which equals a one gallon reserve. Either way, I usually fill up long before I hit reserve. My butt gives out long before I need gas. lol

Greg

·
Registered
689 Posts
How is it that my DL1000 has longer range than a KLR? I can go 240mies highway before running out. Sixth gear???

Thanks.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Reserves differ. I fill up at 190 miles.

Never had a problem. But good call, practice switching to reserve while you're riding. You want your hand to go to the right spot. And if you really, really run out of gas you can lay the bike over on it's side and get a little more.
Be sure to stop before you lay it over. LOL I couldn't resist, :t1204: Lockjaw

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
You stop first? :)

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
I don't like doing things the easy way. :50: :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts