Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From Sacramento, I rode up through the Redwoods to do some camping on the coast. Temps there were in the 60s-70s dF, so it was much cooler than central valley. Barbie ticked over 10k miles on this trip. Overall about 750 miles, bike averaged about 48 mpg and oil usage was hardly measurable.

Stopped to help rescue a downed rider on CA Rt 36. Younger rider with less than a years saddle time high-sided his 600cc sportbike in a corner and went over the edge and into the rocks. Received a busted leg and broken thumb, but was otherwise okay. Was wearing a full-face helmet and armored jacket. His sportbike was busted worse than he was. We worked with Cal Fire to haul him the 100 feet back up to road. Chopper came in to fly him out. Props to Cal Fire - those guys were awesome.

Grabbed only a few pics. But the scenery was awesome and weather and temps were perfect.

Avenue of the Giants is always a must see, despite the tourist traffic on Sunday.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She ran perfectly. 16t on the smaller chainwheel meant for earlier downshifting on the steeper hills, but was welcome when hanging with traffic on 80mph indicated. Tires are close to their age range, so I wasn't pushing things too hard. I have another KLR for playing drop-it-in-the-dirt rider, which means Barbie will get a set of a Tourance tires come summer's end.

Coming back I was running later than planned and hit Ukiah/Clear Lake about 2:30PM - so it was mid 90sDF. Soaked the polo and t-shirt, bandana and helmet with cold water, and kept nursing from the Camelbak. Only a few riders were out at that time of day.

FYI: CA Rt 36 is fooking awesome. My other favorite is Rt 49 from Sierraville to Grass Valley. Did I mention that Rt 36 is awesome?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Thanks for the posting - I ran a marathon in the Avenue of the Giants a few years ago and had forgotten just how pretty that are is. Great trip and good karma, too!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts