Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My battery died a few months back, while I was away on vacation. I bought a float charger and was able to save the battery. After a few weeks of using the charger, the Battery seems to be in good shape, it will now start even wnen I haven’t used the float charger for weeks.

Because the battery is such a pain to access, I wired the little plug, (one male one female, not sure if there is a technical term for this style plug), directly to the battery, and let the plug hang out from under the side panel.

Today I left the key on while visiting a friend, (luckily it was a good neighborhood), and like a dumbass killed the battery. We were able to jumpstart it but I had to take the seat and side panels off. I was actually able to push start it, but that’s another story. My actual question, (thanks for hanging in there), could I use the other wire that came with the float charger with the small plug on one side and alligator clips on the other to jumpstart the bike? I even looked on amazon and saw that they have a 10' wire with clips on one side and the little plug on the other. I think this would be small enough to keep in my kit.

I did watch a video from Revzilla that said it was safe to jump a motorcycle from a car as long as the car was off. They did recommend using the smaller motorcycle jumper cables because the big car sized ones are too big and could inadvertently cause an arc.

Thanks for your response.

·
Premium Member
9,160 Posts
The float charger connection probably has a 5 amp fuse and the wires are only large enough to handle maybe 10 amps. The starter motor needs about 75-100 amps.
So the answer is a definite NO.

Some people use a #8 CABLE to a terminal installed into the Vertical black plastic cover below and to the rear of the fuel tap, ( which covers the starter Solenoid) to have an External Positive Post to connect jumper cables. A foot peg bolt is a good Ground connection.

·
Administrator
4,013 Posts
You’ll see lots of smoke, sparks and possible flame. Don’t even try it, you’ll burn up your bike and garage.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
The float charger connection probably has a 5 amp fuse and the wires are only large enough to handle maybe 10 amps. The starter motor needs about 75-100 amps.
So the answer is a definite NO..............
PDwestman answered your question. The energy the charger puts into the battery through those small wires in several minutes can be pulled out by the starter in a few seconds and fry the small wires. I quit using those two little bolts on the seat years ago. The seat is not going to fall off with me sitting on it and I can pop it off any time I want without having to remove those pesky side panels.

The starter won't take any more current through big cables than it can pull through the small stock cables connecting it to the battery. It is like a 1" faucet connected to a 1" or a 6" pipe. It is still just a 1" faucet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.