Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried search and came up empty. Has anyone made a plug and jumper cables so you don't have to disassemble the bike to jump start if needed? I was thinking a trailer plug some 8ga cable and some clips.

·
Premium Member
6,817 Posts
I tried search and came up empty. Has anyone made a plug and jumper cables so you don't have to disassemble the bike to jump start if needed? I was thinking a trailer plug some 8ga cable and some clips.
I've seen pics of a positive post protruding from the long black plastic cover over the solenoid. A reasonably short cable running to the battery side of the solenoid. (I can't search well either.)

I did make a feeble attempt to find a 'Jump Start Terminal' in Normk's thread,
http://www.klrforum.com/1987-2007-wrenching-mods/26633-simple-cheap-easy.html

Negative can attach to sub-frame bolt, swingarm nut, foot peg, etc.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I'm just thinking of something portable and plug and play. I'll be adding a tool tube and want compact jumper cables to go with my compact rope and ratchet strap extraction system.

·
Registered
541 Posts
This is a simple two-way flat connector that I use for my slime air compressor. Connected directly to the battery and zip tied to the frame for quick access. It would seem to be pretty simple to make a set of jumper cables that would work on it. You see these used on drip-chargers. They're only a couple bucks at most auto part stores.

·
Premium Member
6,817 Posts
This is a simple two-way flat connector that I use for my slime air compressor. Connected directly to the battery and zip tied to the frame for quick access. It would seem to be pretty simple to make a set of jumper cables that would work on it. You see these used on drip-chargers. They're only a couple bucks at most auto part stores.

Bill10,
Sorry but those little wires will melt almost like a 'fuse' (Actually there is a 5-7.5 amp fuse in that connector.) if one tries to "jump-start" the bike. Think fire hazard if one removes the tiny fuse!

We need 8 gauge cable to safely carry 75-200 amps of current for a starter motor.

·
Premium Member
6,817 Posts
That's exactly what I am talking about. Just in 8ga. Thanks
Hvymax,
If you just gotta' have a 2 pin plug (but they aren't necessarily Universal),
Try an Electric Trolling Motor plug,
Trolling Motor Connector Kit

I was thinking that you would prefer something more 'Universal', like just a + post sticking out of the long, flat plastic cover over the solenoid, that even someone else's automotive jumper cables could clip to. (Sorry that I haven't been able to find a pic. :( )

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hvymax,
If you just gotta' have a 2 pin plug (but they aren't necessarily Universal),
Try an Electric Trolling Motor plug,
Trolling Motor Connector Kit

I was thinking that you would prefer something more 'Universal', like just a + post sticking out of the long, flat plastic cover over the solenoid, that even someone else's automotive jumper cables could clip to. (Sorry that I haven't been able to find a pic. :( )
They are only goo to 60 amps. The Anderson PowerPole I mentioned is good to 120 Amps

1 - 10 of 10 Posts