Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Ya'll,

I'm buying a friends 98 KLR with approx. 4000 miles on it. I needed a bike to ride while I rebuild my 1970 750 Bonneville. It has a supertrapp exhaust and street tires. Hasn't run for a year...just sitting. I'm told it needs the carbs flushed and a new battery. I want a gel battery, any suggestions? Oh also need a clutch cable.

Anyway I'm really looking forward to owning this bike. I rode a brand new one 2 years ago in MN and was amazed at how it handles on gravel roads which I love to ride on. I'm really excited about this purchase...and I'm getting a friend deal. $1100.

I'll need to change all fluids. New tires after I ride it a bit. Any suggestions on what to look for and what to pay special attention to?

Thanks and looking forward to some fun times. I'm 55 YO and miss off roading.

Danno

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hey Ya'll,

I'm buying a friends 98 KLR with approx. 4000 miles on it. I needed a bike to ride while I rebuild my 1970 750 Bonneville. It has a supertrapp exhaust and street tires. Hasn't run for a year...just sitting. I'm told it needs the carbs flushed and a new battery. I want a gel battery, any suggestions? Oh also need a clutch cable.

Anyway I'm really looking forward to owning this bike. I rode a brand new one 2 years ago in MN and was amazed at how it handles on gravel roads which I love to ride on. I'm really excited about this purchase...and I'm getting a friend deal. $1100.

I'll need to change all fluids. New tires after I ride it a bit. Any suggestions on what to look for and what to pay special attention to?

Thanks and looking forward to some fun times. I'm 55 YO and miss off roading.

Danno
Flush the carb and while your there maybe consider throwing in a jet kit (or .02c mod) and set the mixture screw out to 2.5 turns. Amazing difference that makes alone. Also, look at doing the Doohickie. BUT the biggest improvement I have found is to simply install some Riccor Intiminators to sort out the front suspension.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts