Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, just curious how many riders out there are ADD/ADHD? I am and in my case I end up being hyper focused while riding, but the nice thing is since my brain is used to attempting to process 1000 thoughts at once, when I'm riding with my life on the line I actually am able to take in the distractions and dangers of the road and process them quickly. Anyone else out there ever experience this or other issues with ADD? just thought I'd throw the question out there and see what comes up. Ride safe y'all!

Mike

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Missed Gear
1,193 Posts
Interesting question.

I'm not sure that I have ADD or ADHD, but I do find it hard to focus on tasks or reading for very long. Didn't do well in school because I just couldn't concentrate and I don't test well.

But... Riding the MC gets me into "the zone" where I'm also hyper focused like you describe.

I wonder if it's because of the seriousness of the activity with dire consequences if you are not paying attention. I think on the MC I'm much more focused than when driving my automobile.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cadd, Cabrito, thanks for the responses.
I never rode until later in life as when I was a kid my parents always said I would kill myself, (impulse control is hardest for me) but when on the bike as Cabrito said the direness of making a stupid decision keeps that in check. I also think the interest level of riding helps the focus for most. Been doing some more research on some other forums as well as health sites and stats tend to show a higher number of the riding population tend to be ADHD. That's why I was throwing it out to our little corner of the net. I ride year round (except for the worst storms and first rain) because in a car I go nuts if I have to sit in any type of traffic. I don't care if I am only going 10mph on the bike through traffic, as long as I am moving. Having to wait 30 seconds at a time in stop and go... Can't do it drives me batty. Thanks again guys.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
I have a bit. I also have OCD. I DEFINITELY feel assaulted by an overactive brain most of the time. I've talked and written about this before. Fishing, writing, and riding demand all my focus and they are the three things I like the most.

I used to teach at-risk kids, too. All the teachers I worked with who were good had some sort of neurotic thing going on. When you're working one on one with a challenging kid...same deal...you have to focus on them 100%.

You hit the nail on the head and it is something I have thought a lot about. Since I first read Zen and the Art of MM. My 'Zen' moments occur when I am writing, have a fishing rod in hand, or when I am riding my bike.

Here, this addresses what you're talking about:

http://avoidingthestairs.blogspot.com/2011/10/ocd-and-writingocd-and-writing.html

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Honest post brother. My wife is OCD, and between that and my ADHD it makes for an interesting mix. (She has to have order, I am chaos incarnate), but we have figured out how to work things out and meet in the middle. She is super organized, lets just say I'm not...
I write as well, nowhere near your level LJ, but I enjoy it and who knows, the story I have been going back and forth with for 3 years now just might make it into Kindle one day. It is hard for me to actually start, but once I do I am hyper focused until I get to the point where I become bored again. I understand the control thing with the story. It is your creation, and allows for you to arrange things how you want. For me it allows me to shape the chaos into a nice fictional yarn. Poetry has been my thing as it is short and sweet and allows me to give self therapy. Thanks for the insight LJ.
Mike

·
Registered
99 Posts
:20a:I aquired CRS and it is my own fault:t1204:If it aint MC focused I seem to drift

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Honesty is everything, brother. Thanks. Everyone has something. I worked with kids long enough to know that the human brain does weird things. We don't all do the same weird things, but it is a complicated thing, the brain.

Honest post brother. My wife is OCD, and between that and my ADHD it makes for an interesting mix. (She has to have order, I am chaos incarnate), but we have figured out how to work things out and meet in the middle. She is super organized, lets just say I'm not...
I write as well, nowhere near your level LJ, but I enjoy it and who knows, the story I have been going back and forth with for 3 years now just might make it into Kindle one day. It is hard for me to actually start, but once I do I am hyper focused until I get to the point where I become bored again. I understand the control thing with the story. It is your creation, and allows for you to arrange things how you want. For me it allows me to shape the chaos into a nice fictional yarn. Poetry has been my thing as it is short and sweet and allows me to give self therapy. Thanks for the insight LJ.
Mike

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Can't Remember Shit!:character00271:
Too true! I can meet someone and 2 seconds later can forget their name. It's not that I am not trying to pay attention, it is just the shiny buttons or pins on their shirt distract me!

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
I've realized that when I am introduced to someone, I don't even hear their name. Even when I try. It's weird.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Are you already thinking of the next part of the conversation LJ?

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
I don't know what it is. If I really make a point to listen, I can get it. Especially with kids, but I meet people all the time and think "They just told me their name and I didn't listen". I think it has a lot to do with feeling uncomfortable with new people. But it could be thinking ahead, too. Or a bit of both. ;)

Are you already thinking of the next part of the conversation LJ?

·
Registered
99 Posts
In todays social environment we are mostly focused upon a flippant response of "How ya doin" We are not really interested in weather or not they are doing well or not. It is simply passé. My standard response albeit a sarcastic one is "are your really interested in how I am doing or is this just pleasantries" This usually sets the conversation onto a different tone. For my self I find that if I focus in and engage them the name thing usually sticks. Not always mind ya but mostly! And CRS isn't an age thing! FOCUS FOCUS FOCUS! I always try to repeat their name several times during our engagement and this helps!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
In todays social environment we are mostly focused upon a flippant response of "How ya doin" We are not really interested in weather or not they are doing well or not. It is simply passé. My standard response albeit a sarcastic one is "are your really interested in how I am doing or is this just pleasantries" This usually sets the conversation onto a different tone. For my self I find that if I focus in and engage them the name thing usually sticks. Not always mind ya but mostly! And CRS isn't an age thing! FOCUS FOCUS FOCUS! I always try to repeat their name several times during our engagement and this helps!
That's very true. Very few are raised the old way where manners counted anymore. It's sad...

I was and still have trouble, it's not that I am not paying attention, I try extremely hard, it is just my brain is flitting back and forth processing every little thing around me and sometimes it gets missed. I use that trick to with the repetition, but also have learned to adapt as we'll as fess up in the most polite way possible so others don't get offended.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
I've thought about this. My Dad was military as was his and my other grandfather. Manners and politeness were very important growing up. And they are to me still. I'm a pretty courteous guy. I think it has a lot to do with the overactive brain. When I meet someone new, anxiety goes into overdrive and I'm scrambling to even maintain chit chat. And I hate chit chat. If I can get past the surface, as you say, if I am engaged...that makes all the difference. Talking and small talking are very different animals.

Once I know someone, it's a non issue. I'm the guy that knows all the people in the apartment complex and all their kids. I've just got to get past that 'how you doin'?' hurdle.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I enjoy talking to everyone,well maybe not everyone, but certainly most all people. I engage in conversation with perfect and not so perfect strangers all the time. The wife says of me that I never meet a stranger. :think1:Not so sure I concur as I have meet some strange folks!

I am fascinated by peoples character. Sometimes it is a waste of time and others it has a great deal of satisfaction.

The ADD and ADHD are not part of my make up. The wife probably would disagree saying that I am indeed ADD seeing as how she has to repeat everything twice to me. Ya know the response "Make sure ya have my attention prior to telling me something ya expect me to remember".

28 years with the same one ya think I would have it down by now. Maybe I do have ADD:20a:

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I enjoy talking to everyone,well maybe not everyone, but certainly most all people. I engage in conversation with perfect and not so perfect strangers all the time. The wife says of me that I never meet a stranger. :think1:Not so sure I concur as I have meet some strange folks!

As have I bro, but I am the same way. My parents used to get frustrated with me when I was a kid as I would talk with anyone. They also were amazed because we would go to amusement parks or other large public places and someone would inevitably yell out to me as I had previously talked with them when my parents weren't around. There favorite question became: "now where do you know them from?"

I am fascinated by peoples character. Sometimes it is a waste of time and others it has a great deal of satisfaction.

This is one of the reasons I became an investigator. Sociology fascinates me. It is also a coping mechanism. I would watch others to try and understand "normal" social cues and have become quite adept at being a chameleon when necessary.

The ADD and ADHD are not part of my make up. The wife probably would disagree saying that I am indeed ADD seeing as how she has to repeat everything twice to me. Ya know the response "Make sure ya have my attention prior to telling me something ya expect me to remember".

This I have learned also and with my friends have seen that it is just a different style of communication between men and women in their case. My wife still doesn't understand how my best friend and I can hang out for hours and after the initial "is everything ok talk" can have a great time with silence.

28 years with the same one ya think I would have it down by now. Maybe I do have ADD:20a:
IMHO, I don't think we as men will ever have it down. No offense meant. :) (also don't know why my phone won't allow me to bold my responses in the quote either)

Mike

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
My Grandpa's most endearing quality was that no matter who you were you got a handshake and a story or two from BJ Lance. He rode a Harley. One of a kind.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts