Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ya'll well I just drove it home from the dealership! I really like the bike so far in the 5 miles I have put on it! Now to accessorize it!

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Welcome! Don't go overboard with the farkles.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Good advice. Farkles are functional sparkle. We KLR idiots have a tendency to go crazy with the add ons. It's not a bad idea to ride it for a while and see what you want/need...

·
Registered
269 Posts
Good advice. Farkles are functional sparkle. We KLR idiots have a tendency to go crazy with the add ons. It's not a bad idea to ride it for a while and see what you want/need...
and bonus points for doing it on the cheap!

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Farkles are just a way to turn the bike into YOUR bike, and what you want to do with it..

The longer you'll have it, the more you tweak it to your taste..

My 2002, bought in 2004, and all the add-ons.. And I'm planning on doing a couple other small changes this spring, still..:)

Enjoy it for what it is, learn the bike, and ask ALL THE QUESTIONS you want.. And WELCOME!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I have been looking at the price of accessories and Ikarumba, looks like I will be fabricating my own farkles to prevent going broke! good thing I have a complete shop :)

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Well, a very well known trait of KLR owners is that we're cheap.. (aka-frugal)

Most of the stuff I've purchased over the years have been used (aka-broken in)

·
Lifetime Member
2,481 Posts
Congrats! There's nothing like that new bike feeling! Did you get a 2011 or one of the new stealth 2012's? Your gonna love it, the bike and the community are second to none :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Actually it was 2009 with less than 1000 miles on it. It was rode by the mechanic at the shop to run errands and by the owner of the dealership to drive back and forth to work last summer for a couple months. I put 200 miles on it today, and well found out that I definitely need a taller windshield the stock one directs the wind directly into my face! Some highway bars would be nice for longer rides. and some bags to put my gear in are going to be necessities. But the biggest absolute must is I have to get a new sprocket for the rear. I was told it would cruize down the hwy at 65-70 MPH nicely well it is at just over 5 grand on the tach and well I need a smaller sprocket to get that # down to about 3500 to get some decent fuel econ and not be winding her out for hours on end. Anyone recommend a good sprocket that is smaller for these bikes and a windshield ??

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Yep when I got mine the 1st 2 things on my list were a better shield and highway bars. I hardly ever use the highway bars, but a shield is a must have. My bud had a laminar lip on his and it was MUCH better than stock so thats what I bought. I didn't want to have to spend $90 twice!
My bike came with the semi-hard KLR bags. They are perfect for me!
Here's a pic to give you an idea what they look like.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Which vendor's kick stand foot?

Farkles are just a way to turn the bike into YOUR bike, and what you want to do with it..

The longer you'll have it, the more you tweak it to your taste..

My 2002, bought in 2004, and all the add-ons.. And I'm planning on doing a couple other small changes this spring, still..:)

Enjoy it for what it is, learn the bike, and ask ALL THE QUESTIONS you want.. And WELCOME!!
Paper,
Whose brand of oversized kick-stand foot is on your bike in the photo?
:desismiley1:

·
Registered
186 Posts
IMO Change the oil and filter then proceed to have fun.
Your ride is not even broke in yet.
Figure on doing the DOO by 2k, mine and
a bud's had zero tension left on the spring, both 09's.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I am now up to 1400 miles, ordered a new 16 tooth sprocket for front sprocket so I can drop the RPM at interstate speeds. Bought a new jacket today. What is this doohickey everyone keeps talking about, and what is the best one to get? I might also be getting a smaller rear sprocket and new chain depending on how many rpm's the larger front sprocket turns down my rpms.

·
Premium Member
1,586 Posts
Welcome to the forum and KLR's. Both rock!

Farkles.......
Walked outta the dealership with the 16 tooth sprocket and service manual.

Since then I have added home fabbed hiway bar/ pegs, plex windshield,
trimmed the fender into something functional and much smaller. Why buy
a new one when the oversized stocker makes a great blank canvas?
Richened the mix a bit, opened the stock exhaust, bolted a black toolbox on
for a trunk, and have throw-over saddlebags for roadtrips.

I think I have about 30 bucks in it now. (besides the sprocket and book) LOL

The king of Cheap

·
Premium Member
1,586 Posts
Craig,
Yes but I have real problems posting them.
It's just a crescent-moon shaped piece cut
back about 4 inches in the center, and the sides
taper to the stock shape before reaching the forks.
The sides are trimmed off to help with side winds.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I ended up getting the $90 JC whitney large top case Found a more supportive way to mount it on the bike and still access the tool case and put another couple hundred miles this weekend and really like it. The iron cross on top and the orange plastic on the non reflector side with the back rest are kinda ugly but nothing that a little paint cant fix. On the good side I did average 51 mpg at an avg speed of 63 MPH through the hills

1 - 20 of 28 Posts