Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

Just got first Bike (KLR650 (2015)) - Radiator question

15K views 30 replies 13 participants last post by  MontyRattlesnake 
#1 ·
Just got my first bike, 2015 klr650, month ago and managed to lay it over today and crack the radiator and need to replace. Every Google search results in only klr 650 2007 to 2012 radiators. Can anyone advise me on where to order a radiator for 2015 klr 650. Thanks!

#3 ·
Radiator shop can't repair your radiator?

A certain company specializes in motorcycle radiator repair (if the local boys can't handle the job); don't have links myself, maybe some knowledgeable forum member does and will post them.

Your call, repair or replace, but . . . you're talking big money for the latter option; even an off-shore Chinese version might be more expensive than a repair job. Again, your call!

(To prevent future occurrences, might consider a radiator guard or IMS plastic fuel tank.)

P.S. Don't know the severity of your damage, but . . . JB Weld sometimes offers long-lasting radiator repair.

#4 ·
Hey st9,

2008 to 2014 pn 39061-0098, 2015 pn 39061-0690 this is for a complete assembly for $822.42 I don't know what the difference is between the pre 15s to the post 15s. 2015 Kawasaki KLR650 (KL650EFF) Radiator | CyclePartsNation Kawasaki Parts Nation.
I use these guys for parts research but have not ordered from them as I am in Canada.
You may want to price a rad at the dealer you got the bike from. Have you found the crack? There must be other stuff broken as well.
JJ

Reactions: xzatx
#5 ·
After I read the amount Ebay/ parts / parts bikes entered my brain.

Just a stab in the dark but I'm laying odds that any 2008-2015 cooler will go
right in there.

Gotta agree even more on getting the thing soldered/ brazed at a radiator shoppe.
Glad ya only ate some sand. Tastes much better than pavement !!!!!

#7 ·
Here's the link to the Motorcycle Radiator Shop In The Sky:

Myler's Radiators, Motorcycle Radiators, Radiator Repair, Radiator Sales, Offroad, ATV, Street, parts, accessories, apparel, service, jacket, glove

Name/Address/Phone Number:

Myler's Radiators

6722 S Airport Rd. Suite A
West Jordan, UT 84084
Phone: 801-955-1421

I imagine the difference in 2015 radiators from previous Generation 2 parts is revision of design/materials, but . . . imagine form/fit/function remains compatible among all Generation 2 radiators (i.e., expect a 2008 or later to plug 'n' play in a 2015).

#16 · (Edited)
Here's the link to the Motorcycle Radiator Shop In The Sky:

Myler's Radiators, Motorcycle Radiators, Radiator Repair, Radiator Sales, Offroad, ATV, Street, parts, accessories, apparel, service, jacket, glove
...........QUOTE]

I shipped my radiator to Myler's today. I have read good reviews on them and their prices seem reasonable.

I generally repair small leaks in the radiator with JB Weld MarineWeld. It is good on Aluminum and good under water. I have had good luck with it about seven repairs. Some in the field using the JB Quick type. A little muriatic acid cleans the aluminum shiny bright for a good stick.

I sent this radiator to Myler's because it is twisted. They say they can straighten it and burn off the JB Weld patches and weld them also.

#8 ·
Going to see about getting it repaired. If I can't just going to roll the dice and order a pre 2015 radiator. They look exactly the same as mine from the pictures online and I read that the bIke hasn't changed since 2007. I'll follow up with crash bars and radiator guard and stay out of Florida's sugar sand lol.

#12 ·
Hmmm. Ordered a 2008-2014 radiator this morning. Sounds like my 2015 fan will not fit. Any chance of drilling new bracket holes on radiator to fit the bracket? Called a couple of shops today but they no longer repair radiatirs...says no money in it. I guess I'll wait till radiator arrives and see. In the mean time I'll ship mine to myers fir repair. It's only been one day and I miss riding it!!

#17 ·
Hmmm. Ordered a 2008-2014 radiator this morning. Sounds like my 2015 fan will not fit. Any chance of drilling new bracket holes on radiator to fit the bracket? ...........!!
Look at the 2014 radiator and fan here: 2014 Kawasaki KLR650 (KL650EES) Radiator (EES) | CyclePartsNation Kawasaki Parts Nation
and the 2015 here: 2015 Kawasaki KLR650 (KL650EFF) Radiator | CyclePartsNation Kawasaki Parts Nation

The mounting tabs on the 2014 are turned out from the frame and on the 2015 they are turned in. The locations of the tabs and the orientation of the legs of the fan brackets are different.

It looks like you might be able to remove a 2014 fan from its bracket and remount it in a 2015 bracket.

#13 ·
Ordered the fan as well. The radiator I ordered is new 2008-2013 ($114), the fan is is used 2008-2014 ($74). This is the best I could find. I'll ship bad radiator to mylers tomorrow and hopefully have it repaired so then I'll have a spare. Any idea on cost of radiator repair? Hope this does it. Thanks to everyone for all the advice!!

#15 ·
Got them both off ebay. There's several new radiators on there but only used fans. The now oem parts are always available but the cost is ridiculous. I'll post back once I install the parts to confirm that these older model parts do work.

#18 ·
2014 and 2015 radiators are not compatible!!!

The 2015 is a 3rd generation radiator, and the 2014 is a 2nd generation. The fan mounts a totally different, the size is different, the frame, and fairing mounts are TOTALLY different!!! Send your damaged radiator to Mylers Radiator in Salt Lake City, UT, and they will HANDLE IT!!! They'll straighten it, pressure test it, weld it , and straighten all the mounts. A new one is $822.00 from Kawasaki, and new one from them is $310.00, and your old one fixed is about $100.00 including shipping both ways! Duh...do it!!

#19 ·
Same thing just happened to me....

So i was riding some dry deep sand this past weekend and laid my bike down. Pulled it back up and noticed it was spilling coolant pretty good on the left clutch side. Of course i dont have crash guards but still found it odd the radiator is leaking after a fall in soft sand with nothing to really puncture it. Im in the same situation now and also have a 2015. Im wondering if there is some kind of defect involed maybe too.
I plan to start taking parts off soon but wanted to see how the fix went went and which direction you decided to go. Im certainly not trying to spend 800 bucks but want my bike back asap.

#20 ·
So had some time to remove the left fairing and get a better look at the radiator tonight. Turns out the bottom bolt of the fairing connects to a bracket that directly welded to the radiator. The weight of the fall on this lower part of the fairing bent the bracket into the radiator causing the leak. I cant find a reasonablly priced 2015 radiator online so am considering try to use jb weld but would not be able to pressure test. or I may ship out to Utah for a 125 dollar repair. I may also talk to someone I know that has welding expirence but not sure about aluminum welding exp... Oh and the crash bars will be ordered and installed with the radiator. This seemed like a dumb design to have the fairing mount to the radiator. Any other ideas or recomendations would be appreciated.

#21 ·
Yes, it is a dumb design for the radiator to support the plastic.

I have made several repairs to radiators and valve covers with JB Weld with good success. I dropped the bike on the TCAT up in Canada and ripped the fan switch halfway out of the radiator leaving a 1/8" gap half way around the switch. I patched it in the parking lot of a motel with J-B MarineWeld and rode home to Houston with no leaks.
MarineWeld Twin Tube | J-B Weld

#24 ·
.................Ners/Crash Bars, Engine Guard, Radiator Protector, or even aftermarket plastic fuel tank always in good taste if going off-pavement, IMHO.
You would think a plastic fuel tank with wings that go down and cover the radiator would provide good protection for the radiator. That was one of the two main reasons I bought an IMS 10.7 gallon tank. The other reason was of course the 10.7 gallons of gas.

In post #21 above the drop occurred at low speed on a gentle little two track through a flat grassy field in Saskatchewan. The tank folded up like the big plastic milk jug that it is and crushed the radiator. After I got the bike up I watched it slowly unfold itself like a transformer toy to it's original shape.

The JB Weld held fine and I would still be ridding with it, but the radiator was so badly bent that I sent it to Myler's in Utah. They said it was not repairable and I bought one of their double thick radiators. I think I could ride through the pillars of the gates of Hades with that thing and not go above mid range on the temperature gauge.

The point is the brace that holds the wing of the IMS tank out from the frame attaches to the frame with the 6mm captive nut in a sheet metal strap that is the lower radiator mount point and can/will pull right out in a crash.

I still like the tank, but don't consider it to be radiator protection any more than the stock plastic.

#27 ·
Well I got the radiator back from Mylers today and it looks great! Super quick turnaround and very reasonably priced. I was very pleased with my expirience with them. Took about two beers to get the install done. All that is left to do is get the radiator filled up and test everything out. I still need to get my crash bars on too ..lol but I wont be riding the sand again until i do.
I know the radiator will draw coolant in from the holding tank but anyone know if there is a specific coolant i need to use? 50/50? I already have a gallon of distilled water and have coolant in the tank but any tips on what to do now would be helpful. I assume i just fill the radiator with the correct collant put the cap back on and start her up but want to be sure Im not missing anything.
Luckily learning the hard way to not ride florida sand until you got crash bars had a relatively cheap ending thanks to Mylers.
Thanks all! Hope this helps some

#28 ·
I like to run mine with the cap off for a while to let any trapped air escape. Keep an eye on the level in the rad and top up as required while running till it is warm, then put the cap on. I mix the coolant 50/50. Be sure to fill the overflow bottle to the correct level.
What was the cost of the rad repair, if you don't mind saying?
Regards....justjeff

#29 ·
2014 KLR Radiator and Fan on a 2016 Klr?

Has anyone tried an entire 2014 radiator assembly on a 2015-16. I destroyed my 2016 KLR's radiator on a stump.
I can see that the fan mounts are different, but it looks like the mounts to the bike are the same.
I was hoping as long as the radiator and fan years match, it'll fit on the 2016

#30 ·
Has anyone tried an entire 2014 radiator assembly on a 2015-16. I destroyed my 2016 KLR's radiator on a stump.
I can see that the fan mounts are different, but it looks like the mounts to the bike are the same.
I was hoping as long as the radiator and fan years match, it'll fit on the 2016
You're posting on a year old thread. You may have better luck if you start a new thread.

#31 ·
2014 KLR Radiator and Fan on a 2016

I broke my 2016 radiator and fan and fan mount. All the parts for the 2016 are really expensive. The 2014 radiator, radiator fan and radiator plastic cover shield all fit perfectly on my 2016. The 2016 setup has a different fan mount set-up but as long as you keep everything attached to the radiator 2014 it will work. Saved a over a $1000 getting the older version. I went on a 3hr ride after I replaced and all was smooth and cool

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.