Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Y2K KLR turned over 75,000 miles today and the miles have been mostly trouble free. At a little over 70K I replaced the cam chain and the large roller bearing behind the clutch. That's the first time I had been inside the engine other than for valve adjustments and to fiddle with the balance shaft chain adjuster. The valves, cams, cyclinder, piston, rings, big end, gears, shifting dogs, clutch and all other internals showed no measurable wear. I put it back together and it's running better than ever.

The bike has been used mostly on dirt roads and trails in Wyoming, Colorado, Nebraska and Utah. I've used a K&N air filter since it was new and it gets a fresh dose of Kawasaki 20w50 and a new filter about every 3,000 miles and I seldom have to add oil between changes. I installed Progressive fork springs early on, but am still using the OEM rear shock. Because I'm a big guy - 6'7", 250 lbs - the bike does carry a load. As the cowboys say, it very often gets rode hard and put away wet. It has been up to the task.

Randy Wagner, Cheyenne, Wyoming

·
Registered
507 Posts
Congrats Big Guy,

That is an encouraging report on longevity.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts